IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 in snow report

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 02:39 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VitB6
I have an 06 IS 350. First snow happened to day in Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. 10-12 inches of snow. 18" all-season tires. How did the car perform? TERRIBLE. Actually, undrivable. I actually ordered snow tires and the dealership has them but I called too late for them to put them on (but that is for another discussion).

Overall, terribly disappointed. I am having my winter tires converted on Thursday. Hopefully that will help a lot. If it doesn't I'm afraid I will have to get a different car next summer. That would be too bad because I love my car otherwise.
I have Blizzaks on my car and I was able to get to work. I did get stuck leaving a gas station. My car just spun.... Then I realized if I put the car in reverse I could back out of being stuck and so I did. It was hard driving in the slush.. but I remember how impossible it was in my M3, which just did 360's (of course it was on summer tires). I saw several cars stuck, so I'd have to say my 350 in snow mode (ect) and w/ blizzaks did pretty good!
Old 12-02-06, 02:42 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
I concur... the IS is absolutely terrible in winter conditions. Just flat out terrible. I got stuck just trying to check my mailbox yesterday.

I've ordered Blizzaks... I hope they make a difference.

They make a major difference. I ordered Blizzaks from the dealer who installs them on my rims for $22 each... and they store my summer tires during the winter (and vice versa during the non winter seasons)
Old 12-02-06, 03:07 AM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This report is bogus, I have a Lexus IS350 myself and I put on Nokian WR's and the car preforms exceptionally well...and I'm from Edmonton Alberta, we had -40 temperature for 2 weeks straight, and not to mention the snow was upto my knee caps.
Old 12-02-06, 06:41 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Live in south KC/OP with Ken

And my 250 AWD with 19 Toyo Proxe 4's, in snow mode got along great! Only had one bad moment coming to a downhill stop on pure ice where the brakes were pumping like mad. Otherwise, it felt nearly identical in handling in the snow/slush to my 04 GX 470.

In the southwest part of town we had ice, then about 5 inches of snow in our neighborhood. Not like Chicago, but I saw plenty of vehicles stuck, or sideways, or off in the medians.

Never felt in danger of losing control. Am very thankful for sacrificing the 350 power for the peace of mind of the AWD/snow mode/Toyo Proxe combo!
Old 12-02-06, 07:16 AM
lvittorio
Driver School Candidate

I had been warned and so had my winter tires put on in early November. I have the Dunlop WInter Sport M3's on my IS 350, they are 255/40/18 in the rear and 225/45/18 in front. The car handled great in the Chicago snow yesterday!!! My old car was an all-wheel-drive g35 and although the IS didnt handle as good in the heavy stuff it was better in the slushy stuff, because the g35 did not have winter tires. These tires are really amazing how they grip the road in slush and light snow.
Old 12-02-06, 07:47 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Reyngel
I concur... the IS is absolutely terrible in winter conditions. Just flat out terrible. I got stuck just trying to check my mailbox yesterday.

I've ordered Blizzaks... I hope they make a difference.
You are talking about the RWD version right?
The AWD IS is NOT horrible at all in snow i think.
It is just slow(er) on the straight line on dry road to do 0t060 mph
Old 12-02-06, 08:11 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Winter tires on an IS350 transforms the car in snow conditions. I know because last winter 29NOV I drove home side ways 5Km from the dealer in my brand spanking new IS with my death grip, couldn't get up the drive way, had to take a run from the neighbor's house. Luckily I had a full set of Tirerack Pirelli 240 winter wheels and tires,...what a difference. Watch out for that snow mode guys, it could be a car wrecker. It can cut in just as you're crossing a slippery intersection,...normal mode works best unless you're stuck, nice smooth inputs. My big problem this winter is I lowered my car on Eibachs,...hmmmm that may not work in my favor,...we'll see.

May have to take the daughters Matrix or the son's All-Trac for those bad days.
Old 12-02-06, 01:08 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

st185... definately sexy
Old 12-02-06, 08:35 PM
Jatt
Driver

Never put the car in snow mode, it doesn't help at all, and I dont remmeber what its called but if your ever caught on a patch of ice and need more from your wheels just hit that car with the swiggly slipper slide type icon on the right side of your dash area so the tires keep rotating and dont cut out.

Honestly, the only problem is on an icey freeway since the car is rear wheel and if you touch the steering a wheel a bit to the left or right it responds really quickly, other then that its fine...
Old 12-02-06, 11:43 PM
AJA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jatt
Never put the car in snow mode, it doesn't help at all
So when do you use the snow mode?
Old 12-02-06, 11:58 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJA
So when do you use the snow mode?
I've actually had fair luck with snow mode. It's more the VSC you have to worry about if you're stuck. That's what's cutting the power. Of course VSC can also be a life saver if you start to fishtail.
Old 12-02-06, 11:59 PM
johnAboy
Driver

i'm from chicago too. the snow storm was pretty bad 2 days ago, but i've got to say that my 250awd handled like a dream!

i tried to push the limits on turns (little to no traffic around of course) before the streets were plowed, and i was quite impressed.

i've had a g35 & 35oz so i know how hard it can be to drive in even the slightest bit of snow. any rear wheel drive car is pretty difficult to drive in snow for that matter(my condolences). you get the speed edge when it's nice out though!
Old 12-03-06, 03:08 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I don't see how it makes all that much of a difference if you're driving on ice with AWD versus RWD. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though. But it seems to me that if you're going to slide, you're going to slide... AWD doesn't change that fact. I would imagine AWD does benefit a driver by reducing fish-tailing, and if there's spotty conditions on the road, making turns might improve a bit. But really, those things are mostly reflective of one's driving ability. If it's snowing outside, logically I'm not going to take turns too fast. I'm also not going to punch the accelerator, because I know I'll fish-tail. But what I don't have control over is plain and simple traction... something only winter tires or chains can provide. AWD without winter tires slides just like anything else.
Old 12-03-06, 10:46 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
st185... definately sexy
Thanks roy. As you can tell we're an all Toyota family. The All Trac is probably not as tricked out as yours, but it has a few goodies
Old 12-03-06, 10:51 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snow mode worked great for me the other day. thanks lexus.

Quick Reply: IS 350 in snow report