IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 in snow report

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 01:52 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatt
This report is bogus, I have a Lexus IS350 myself and I put on Nokian WR's and the car preforms exceptionally well...and I'm from Edmonton Alberta, we had -40 temperature for 2 weeks straight, and not to mention the snow was upto my knee caps.
Your an idiot. You are comparing the summer tires to your Nokian's and then say the report is "bogus". The only thing that is bogus, is your reading comprehension
Old 12-03-06, 02:43 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

lol... and then made a new thread about how he slid off the road last night.. Ok sorry had to point that out no offense
Old 12-03-06, 04:34 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
lol... and then made a new thread about how he slid off the road last night.. Ok sorry had to point that out no offense

lol dumbbb
Old 12-03-06, 05:23 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
snow mode worked great for me the other day. thanks lexus.
I use it all the time (when there is snow on the ground)
Old 12-03-06, 08:38 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sportmaxx summer tires suck in the snow - I found out last winter. The Dunlop SP5000 which they call "all season" is hardly all season - they suck in snow too. I have the Snowsport 240s and they make a huge difference. I actually had better turning and stopping than my RX400h with all season Eagle GA... just slightly less acceleration. BTW, I'm in NW suburb of Chicago also. I don't bother with the snow mode - almost too slow. I drive almost exclusively in Power ECT mode but with heavy snow, I drive in "normal" mode. Any car with summer tires will suck - it's not the car, but the coefficient of friction the tires have on the road/snow. Snow tires will always work better in snow than summer tires.
Old 12-03-06, 10:37 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Makes me glad I got the AWD vs. the 350... Was on I-90 before they sent the plow trucks out the second time and my IS handled great in the snow Only thing I was afraid of were the other drivers on the road.
Old 12-04-06, 05:00 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
t's not the car, but the coefficient of friction the tires have on the road/snow. Snow tires will always work better in snow than summer tires.
If you look at a summer tire, you'll notice that it doesn't have any sipes, the tiny diagonal slits that cover the tread blocks on winter tires. The tread blocks on winter tires are covered with them. Sipes provide lots of biting surfaces in the snow, and wick away the thin coating of water that forms on ice and hard pack.

Sipes are just one of the many differences between purpose-built winter and summer tires.
Old 12-04-06, 05:22 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

To Chicagoans/ILers: How many days a year do we get significant snowfall? There are probably a handful of times we get +5" of snow in a day per year. According to the following reference, http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=winter , we get on average of 38.0" of snow per year, where the peak month is January with 11.3". These facts (IMO) did not justify me buying an AWD or SUV.
Old 12-04-06, 05:28 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

That picture made me
Old 12-04-06, 07:20 PM
skorpio
Driver

I have a 350 with Michelin Alpines and I have no problems driving in the snow. When I bought my car last december I could not even get up on my driveway. My friends had to push me in. Ever since I got the Alpines, everything changed. Car is perfect for snow. Its all in tires. Thats it! I live in chicago BTW

regards, Bart
Old 12-05-06, 11:52 AM
ChaddyC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jatt
This report is bogus, I have a Lexus IS350 myself and I put on Nokian WR's and the car preforms exceptionally well...and I'm from Edmonton Alberta, we had -40 temperature for 2 weeks straight, and not to mention the snow was upto my knee caps.
Being from Calgary I can attest to horrible winter driving conditions in Alberta. If you are looking to get some good winter tires, Nokians are the way to go. I have used Blizzaks in the past and Nokians are hands down the best winter tire I have ever used. It is rediculas how much better they are. They are expensive but worth the money in my opinion.
Old 12-05-06, 01:04 PM
markyboy
Rookie

I live in Calgary too ^^^^^^^^^^^^
My Pirelli 240's are awesome. No more gettin' stuck.
Old 12-05-06, 01:42 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I heard great think about the Nokian. I had Nokian tires on my last car, and I belive that the scandanavian tires are the best. I am trying out a new tire to Canada from Finland called Gislaved (Nord Frost 5 model). They are suppose to give the Nokian a run for their money. I put them on early November, but so far in Toronto, there is no snow to test them out on. It has been fairly mild here so far this year. I am probably killing them in this weather.
Old 12-05-06, 07:08 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
I heard great think about the Nokian. I had Nokian tires on my last car, and I belive that the scandanavian tires are the best. I am trying out a new tire to Canada from Finland called Gislaved (Nord Frost 5 model). They are suppose to give the Nokian a run for their money. I put them on early November, but so far in Toronto, there is no snow to test them out on. It has been fairly mild here so far this year. I am probably killing them in this weather.
I purchased 17" Nokian RSI's for 282$ CAD plus install and tax. I have read good things also for the Gislaved Soft*Frost 2. Both of these are non studded design. Where the Nord Frost 5 expensive?
Old 12-05-06, 08:07 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Been riding on my Pirelli 240 Sottozero's for the past few weeks - early preparation. We haven't even had any bad weather in NY yet. The tires feel great! Road noise and performance are not as substantially compromised as I expected.

Quick Reply: IS 350 in snow report