IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 rolled into DITCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06 | 11:20 AM
Jatt
Driver

Default IS350 rolled into DITCH

Hi guys,

Wellllllllll last night, just driving on the road and caught a patch of ice, sorta started heading toward the ditch, tried to turn away but the snow just caught up underneath the car too much and I went straight in with my wheels turned completely to the left.

This was at 4 am, I took the first tow truck driver I saw coming my way, I offered him cash because he said he was the daytime driver and going home, otherwise I would be waiting out there for 3 hours, well I got it towed out, but the driver said he had to hook it from the front since the snow couldn't be cleared from the rear and he couldn't find anywhere to hook it.

Well he hooked it from the front, starts pulling it out, only problem now is theres a SLIGHT dent, barely noticable but its there with a bit of a scratch right underneath the driver side headlight where its kinda pushed in from the pressure of the cable pulling the car out, its better then him pulling the cable through the bottom of the fendor type area cuz it would of probably took the fendor off, but the foglights and everything still work.

I'm just tryin to figure out what to do about the fendor, I mean it looks like a bike kinda hit it with its tire, the dent is maybe half an inch in.

Also another thing is the alignment is a bit off now, steering wheel is kinda tilted towards the right by about a .5/4 of an inch!? lol

God, only 5000km on the car and this had to happen.

This is a lease btw so I'm not THAT worried about it, still though just kinda ticked off, not sure what to do about the dent or the alignment at this point.

Haha on another note, I'm whining about the car and I'm like man this is a brand new car and I just picked it up a month ago, and hes like "yeah I just towed an 07 Ford right before this one"

Come on, Ford, Lexus, SERIOUSLY. lol
Old 12-03-06 | 11:25 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

sorry to hear that man...thankfully ur ok so dont worry too much. About the damage to the fender, try to take it to a body shop and ask them how much it would cost to fix, if u got any relatives or friends in the business even better. And about the alignment, just get it re-aligned at any local tire shop it shouldnt cost too much, goodluck man.
Old 12-03-06 | 11:36 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

As long as your safe bro... Canadian winters suck ***.
Old 12-03-06 | 12:58 PM
Jatt
Driver

Thanks guys, I sorta forgot to mention this but it seemed like on the drive home whenever I'd go over a little bump the car made a slight squeek? Very similar to a spring like sound, although I haven't driven the car since I brought it home last night, I'll check it out again later today, but any idea on what that could be?
Old 12-03-06 | 01:10 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I'm guessing it might have to do with the cold...?
Old 12-03-06 | 02:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

That's too bad. Take it to a body shop and see what they can do.

Even though it is a lease car you are still responsible for any damage and if it is there when you turn it back in they will deduct the cost of repair. So it is best to take care of it now.
Old 12-03-06 | 02:47 PM
jezza
Driver

Your tow truck driver's an idiot. There's a tow loop right in the front bumper, under a small square cover towards the driver's side. The tow loop that screws into it is in your trunk along with the spare.
Old 12-03-06 | 03:08 PM
Jatt
Driver

Hey Jezza,

I had no idea about that and never even bothered to look at the manual for towing never thinking that I'd be put into a situation like this, how do you even get those covers off? I now know your talking about the towing eyelets, but does anyone know the step by step to get access to it?

Even though it is a lease car you are still responsible for any damage and if it is there when you turn it back in they will deduct the cost of repair. So it is best to take care of it now.
Even if I'm just taking the car back and not buying out at the end of it? I mean I just planned to use it for 3 years and give them back the keys when my lease is up...

I'm just tryin to think of what kind of cost I'm looking at for the minor dent? Any GUESStimates?! Half inch in maybe 2 inches across? I know it sounds stupid, but any general idea is great.
Old 12-03-06 | 03:18 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you're okay. Hope you get things straightened out with your car soon.
Old 12-03-06 | 03:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

That's the trouble, people don't know how to adjust their driving habits to the appropriate environment. Someone rear ended my dads 6 week old GS in Calgary under similar conditions.
Old 12-03-06 | 03:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear about your crash. did you have snow mode ON or OFF?
Old 12-03-06 | 04:03 PM
Jatt
Driver

Snow mode off, man having snow mode on on a pure sheet of ice like we have up north here makes no sense, the power would just keep getting cut out and you would be stuck in the middle of a boulevard waiting for a UHAUL truck to smoke you from the side.
Old 12-03-06 | 04:19 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about your accident. I would be more worried about the crash with the vehicle being a lease. Make sure the body shop does everything right, or you'll get nailed at lease end for the damages.
Old 12-03-06 | 04:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jatt
Snow mode off, man having snow mode on on a pure sheet of ice like we have up north here makes no sense, the power would just keep getting cut out and you would be stuck in the middle of a boulevard waiting for a UHAUL truck to smoke you from the side.
just asking. i do think you're kinda exaggarating, i had snow mode on all day the other day and there was ice and i never got hit by the uhaul truck you keep talking about....
Old 12-03-06 | 04:30 PM
Jatt
Driver

I would be more worried about the crash with the vehicle being a lease. Make sure the body shop does everything right, or you'll get nailed at lease end for the damages.
I dont get it, if your giving the vehicle back at the end of your lease what can they ding and not ding on damages? Like scratches or dents or what? Interior? And how do they nail me with any extra cost at the end of my lease? There are scratches on the car already etc. that they've seen, never once did the finance or salesperson bring up the idea of me having to pay for it if I gave them the car back like this etc.

Quick Reply: IS350 rolled into DITCH