F For Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 10:47 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
My opinion:
It's not about how fast you can shift. It's about being in the gear that you want to be in (and when you want to be in it), rather than the gear the car wants you to be in. You also don't get the parasitic power loss from a manual transmission that you do with a superslushiefantasic automatic transmission, because the manual is basically a direct drive setup once the clutch is fully engaged (assuming no major slippage), whereas the superslushiefantasic automatic transmission slips, and slips, and slips until you get into top gear, and the torque convertor locks up.

I would say, without hesitation, that it does have to be a manual or SMG-type manual to be a sport car. No question.
I don't think that I am entirely incorrect but didn't a few old school muscle cars during the 50's and 60's have like 3 speed autos that kicked butt?

Even if it is an automatic won't gearing play a major impact? Sure being able to control your RPMS is great but the best thing about having an automatic is being consistent. Sure people may complain about skill.... and things of this nature but the saying still holds true when it comes to racing..

BRING WHAT YOU BROUGHT!!!

Last edited by IS_Mine; 12-04-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-04-06, 10:48 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I don't think that I am entirely incorrect but didn't a few old school muscle cars during the 50's and 60's have like 3 speed autos that kicked butt?

Even if it is an automatic won't gearing play a major impact? Sure being able to control your RPMS and gearing is great but the best thing about having an automatic is being consistent. Sure people may complain about skill.... and this of nature but the saying still holds true when it comes to racing..

Beautiful Just Beautiful!..*
Old 12-04-06, 11:41 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really feeling the F symbol; it doesn't look as mean or serious as the AMG, M or Audi S badges. Plus, F for FAST? "I've got me an IS-Fast." I don't think so.
Old 12-04-06, 11:50 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I have to wonder if Fast is actually what they are going to name it.

I think "Finesse" would be much more suitable for a Lexus.
Old 12-04-06, 11:58 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I have to wonder if Fast is actually what they are going to name it.

I think "Finesse" would be much more suitable for a Lexus.
I thought it meant flagship.. that doesnt sound right. Nor does LRD (Lexus Racing Development)..or Lextech. LexSpeed. LOPAR.hehe..LMG..LMS..LexusART
Old 12-04-06, 11:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default F is not for Fast

Everything I've read about the Lexus "F" line references F1, as in Toyota's Formula1 racing team.

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 12-04-06 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 12:03 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder who is in charge of their product marketing and brand development strategies. They need some help.
Old 12-04-06, 12:08 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Why do they need help?
Old 12-04-06, 12:15 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Why do they need help?
I don't think the brand name flows very well..but thats just coming from one person with a marketing & business background. what do i know. Nor does the logo look very appealing..but what we're seeing is simply on paper and on a screen, it might grow on me if I were to see it in person
Old 12-04-06, 12:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I never found anything particularly appealing about the M///, AMG or S logo's on their cars either It's the cars themselves that makes the logo appealing rather than the other way round IMO . . .
Old 12-04-06, 12:36 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I never found anything particularly appealing about the M///, AMG or S logo's on their cars either It's the cars themselves that makes the logo appealing rather than the other way round IMO . . .
I couldn't agree more, as I was thinking the exact same thing.

Javier
Old 12-04-06, 12:41 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

umm... that's like straight line... i don't consider a good car just speed.. it's balance between handling, gearing, brakes, and speed... etc

it's kinda a no brainer going straight... let's hope that people in auto can conistently go straight... when you enter a corner really hard.. you want your brakes and suspension... you won't need speed or power until you exit the corner...
Old 12-04-06, 12:56 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Well from a marketing stand point..you don't want a brand to rub the consumer the wrong way. Brand names and logo's are created to evoke feelings and images, also it aids in brand recognition... this has everything to do with what the product stands for. So what does the F make you feel?..what type of images come to mind? There really isn't much we can say about it yet, because we havent experienced a product with the F moniker. But we have touched, smelled, driven a product with the AMG, S, and M labels on them...we can associate them with certain feelings and images. My point is that branding, positioning of brand, logos etc have a huge impact on how one feels about a product, how one makes purchasing decisions. Simply the F on paper rubs me the wrong way, and it seems to be bothering others as well. But like I said, everything we're seeing is simply on paper...put it on an actual product and things will change for certain

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-04-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 01:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Well from a marketing stand point..you don't want a brand to rub the consumer the wrong way. Brand names and logo's are created to evoke feelings and images, also it aids in brand recognition... this has everything to do with what the product stands for.
Of course I understand that, I know some companies spend tons of money in research to decide a name, logo, or a motto.
What I was saying is that I don't find the AMG & M/// logo's to be anything special, they wouldn't have become an appealing logo if the cars weren't any good for what's it's designed to be. And how special does a S6 or RS6 sound really . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-04-06 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-06, 01:12 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

at the lexus meeting they said F stood for "freaking fast"

Quick Reply: F For Fast!