IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F For Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06 | 01:25 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
umm... that's like straight line... i don't consider a good car just speed.. it's balance between handling, gearing, brakes, and speed... etc

it's kinda a no brainer going straight... let's hope that people in auto can conistently go straight... when you enter a corner really hard.. you want your brakes and suspension... you won't need speed or power until you exit the corner...
I would think thats a no brainer as well considering the majority of theses *performance* cars come with a nice set of brakes and a decent suspension.
Old 12-04-06 | 02:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I thought Volkswagen already has a FAST. Why would Lexus want to use something already associated with VW?
Old 12-04-06 | 02:47 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Well from a marketing stand point..you don't want a brand to rub the consumer the wrong way. Brand names and logo's are created to evoke feelings and images, also it aids in brand recognition... this has everything to do with what the product stands for. So what does the F make you feel?..what type of images come to mind? There really isn't much we can say about it yet, because we havent experienced a product with the F moniker. But we have touched, smelled, driven a product with the AMG, S, and M labels on them...we can associate them with certain feelings and images. My point is that branding, positioning of brand, logos etc have a huge impact on how one feels about a product, how one makes purchasing decisions. Simply the F on paper rubs me the wrong way, and it seems to be bothering others as well. But like I said, everything we're seeing is simply on paper...put it on an actual product and things will change for certain
As a marketing expert, did you do a case study on Carroll Shelby ? Remember what he said over 40 yrs ago when naming the GT350. "if it's a great car, the name won't matter, if it's a flop, the name won't save it" - well I guess it was a great car . . .

The Lexus division itself is a case study - Toyota hit a homerun in terms of marketing & brand distinction with the stand alone Lexus division. Forget M Power or AMG, Lexus is the model. So how hard can it be for Toyota to carve out a performance division for it's Lexus division - seems like a slam dunk when you consider Toyota is about to surpass GM as the world's #1 automaker - I think Toyota knows exactly what it's doing . . .
Old 12-04-06 | 03:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Believe me, the "F" will not stand for something as silly as "fast". from what I know, the F stands either for Flagship, or for Formula, both of which make sense.
Old 12-04-06 | 03:22 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Well from a marketing stand point..you don't want a brand to rub the consumer the wrong way. Brand names and logo's are created to evoke feelings and images, also it aids in brand recognition... this has everything to do with what the product stands for. So what does the F make you feel?..what type of images come to mind? There really isn't much we can say about it yet, because we havent experienced a product with the F moniker. But we have touched, smelled, driven a product with the AMG, S, and M labels on them...we can associate them with certain feelings and images. My point is that branding, positioning of brand, logos etc have a huge impact on how one feels about a product, how one makes purchasing decisions. Simply the F on paper rubs me the wrong way, and it seems to be bothering others as well. But like I said, everything we're seeing is simply on paper...put it on an actual product and things will change for certain
Marketing FTMFW!

Seriously though, the logo on paper doesn't look as elegant as a Lexus should, but on a car I think it could be pulled off. I agree with F standing for formula 1.
Old 12-04-06 | 03:36 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Ok, I knew I recognized that logo from somewhere... It's a derivative of Toyota's Formula1 Racing logo:

See any similarities?

Javier
Old 12-04-06 | 03:38 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Good news... It's gonna be fun to have Lexus join the AMG & Ms level.
Old 12-04-06 | 03:39 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
good point... performance = 1/mpg...
Don't under estimate toyota...They come really close to bmw "once". They might beat them this time.
Old 12-04-06 | 04:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Ok, I knew I recognized that logo from somewhere... It's a derivative of Toyota's Formula1 Racing logo:

See any similarities?

Javier
Good find.
Old 12-04-06 | 04:42 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

365 +/- days left muhahaha cant wait
Old 12-04-06 | 04:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

This is good news, however that 50k price tag is for a stripped down version I'm sure. Fully loaded it would probably be around 70k as some of the other reports suggested. As far as the manual vs auto debate, that's getting a bit old. auto tranny's today are far more efficient than they were a few years back with only slightly more parasitic loss than a manual, which is more than made up for by its much quicker shifts. If your gripe is that an auto can never mimic the "feel" of a manual, then you have a point. If your gripe has to do with performance, it's a non issue since the auto will perform equally well. AMG anyone?

Oh, and as far as the DSG being in the IS-F, I'd really like to see some evidence backing that claim up instead of "I heard" everything i've read suggests it will be a variation of the 8 speed auto found in the LS600h
Old 12-04-06 | 05:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

AFA the gearbox, that's the only thing that makes any sense. Toyoto do not make a manual gearbox capable of surviving 400+ ft-lbs of torque. They already built the 8 speed for the LS460, and no doubt were thinking ahead with the design since they've had a mule for the IS-F for some time now.

The real question is, IS-F or wait for LF-A (probably will be called something different now)?
Old 12-04-06 | 05:07 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
AFA the gearbox, that's the only thing that makes any sense. Toyoto do not make a manual gearbox capable of surviving 400+ ft-lbs of torque. They already built the 8 speed for the LS460, and no doubt were thinking ahead with the design since they've had a mule for the IS-F for some time now.

The real question is, IS-F or wait for LF-A (probably will be called something different now)?
i want both

but in all reality, i have no information about the LF-A whatsoever, so when we get more info on that, a choice can be made.
Old 12-04-06 | 05:28 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Believe me, the "F" will not stand for something as silly as "fast". from what I know, the F stands either for Flagship, or for Formula, both of which make sense.
Thats what I thought it stood for...we'll have to wait and see huh?
Old 12-04-06 | 05:32 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

LF-A = SC-F?? Can you imagine someone with no knowledge of lexus vehicles reading these forums and trying to decipher the lingo? It'll just look like a bunch of people spitting out random characters of the alphabet.

Quick Reply: F For Fast!