IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart remark from the lexus dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06 | 01:39 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly... you said *I*.... You don't speak for the entire consensus..

I don't think you can target him for feeling the way he does. Everyone approaches things differently. Like he, I felt that was out of place for a salesmen to say.

You say jokes like that to your buddies. :P

It wouldn't be such a joke if he went and complained to the manager of that salesman I guarantee that, especially if it costed a potential sale. Customer service FTW!
Old 12-06-06 | 02:04 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Dood it was just a joke.

Regarding Nav in Hawaii look on the bright side..

My wife had to write a letter to the BBB because this woman complained that the nav not working here was not mentioned to her when she did the transfer paperwork with Servco. She was pissed because she doesn't know how to get around here and didn't find out till she picked up her car at Matson.

If you really want the Nav options, take a trip to Vegas, buy your lex there, drive down to the socal shipyard, throw it on Matson, wait 3-6 wks.

At least 3 of my friends bought their cars in Vegas or Cali and ended up spending less overall (including the airfare and shipping)

You should come out around even since we all know its hard to haggle $ with Servco, much more competition up there.
Old 12-06-06 | 02:53 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

brah you should know that in da islands people like to joke a lot...kick back...relax.
Old 12-06-06 | 03:35 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. Joke with friends. Not when youre buying a car. We're not that laid back.

For those from Hawaii who thinks it was nothing, consider it this way.
Next time your cable goes out in your house and you loose internet, call Oceanic. When they tell you they can be out by the 17th to fix it and you go "what??" and he tells you "Its Hawaii, go beach. Nah,nah. Joke. But yeah, the 17th is the earliest." Oh yeah. I can you laughing at that.

Heltah- Besides the joke, Lexus Navigation doesn't work in HAwaii. If I went to pickup a car on the mainland, the Nav would've failed like that ladie's car. I'll have a reverse camera, but navigation wouldn't work.

Last edited by starstreak; 12-06-06 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-06-06 | 03:44 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starstreak
Yes. Joke with friends. Not when youre buying a car. We're not that laid back.

For those from Hawaii who thinks it was nothing, consider it this way.
Next time your cable goes out in your house and you loose internet, call Oceanic. When they tell you they can be out by the 17th to fix it and you go "what??" and he tells you "Its Hawaii, go beach. Nah,nah. Joke. But yeah, the 17th is the earliest." Oh yeah. I can you laughing at that.

Heltah- Besides the joke, Lexus Navigation doesn't work in HAwaii. If I went to pickup a car on the mainland, the Nav would've failed like that ladie's car. I'll have a reverse camera, but navigation wouldn't work.
Yeah I would laugh at the cable guy and tell him my bill was due last week, I'm gona pay you after the 17th...cool? But that is just the kinda guy I am and maybe that's because I grew up on Oahu.

The point is the guy should watch himself incase he runs into another uptight guy not unlike you who may cause some trouble for his career.

Oh yeah and you'll have a back up camera, 6 disc DVD player, blue tooth cell phone on your touch screen (love that feature), mp3 folder and song browsing, touch screen climate control and a few other things I'm forgetting. It does suck that you cant use nav there, but there is more than just that and a backup camera.
Old 12-06-06 | 03:50 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Oh and I think your analogy should be more like...hey cable guy can I get X-Channel's service. Reply " Oh nobody in Hawaii watches that channel, nah just kidding, we dont offer it". He didnt say he couldnt get your car serviced for you.

Last edited by SilverLexo; 12-06-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-06-06 | 03:51 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Not to go off topic- I used that cable analogy becuase that happened to my friend (the part about the date quote and stuff. Not the smart remark). And yes, my friends bill was 30days past due. He said, fine I wont send my payment till then. The cable guy said by contract he still owes the payment or he doesnt need to send a repair person out to his house. And two, oceanic credits for the time its down. But that's only explaining why your response wouldn't work.
Overall, its the same. It provoked you to being smart back at him. So you already proved this has gone beyond a "joke" Remember, this is a business. And you just threatened not to make payment.

And you bet. if I had remembered his name, I would tell servco Lexus on how I was treated. If it was only a "small joke" then it will slide by them. But I can almost bet, he would get a talk to.

SlilverLexo- your second analogy is correct. But now put a 3-4 pause before saying nah just kidding. Again, its not something the cable guy would say. But yes, you are correct. I just used the other as it happened in RL.

Last edited by starstreak; 12-06-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-06-06 | 04:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dfw350
Sounds like horse patootie to me man, I would not go to that dealer again.
Problem is there is only one dealer in the entire state. It is the same for all the high end Luxury cars. One Lexus dealer, one Acura dealer, one BMW, Mercedes. You get the point. If you want that particular car, you have no other choice unless you fly to the mainland and pay the extra $1000 to ship it back to to Hawaii.
Old 12-06-06 | 04:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Just let the man be. The comments wouldn't have hurt my feelings but I still think it is inappropriate in sales, or customer service. Rule number #1 at our company (TV) is even if you have a bad day don't take it out on potential customers or the public when answering phones. Too many times the public calls us at the TV station with stupid comments and questions when it really is Oceanic Cables fault. If we gave any type of smart *** comment, or in any way came off as rude to the person on the phone and they reported it to the GM we would be in trouble. Again, rule number one is don't pass your bad day on to the customer. If you can't handle that you don't belong in sales or customer service.

Everyone has their own level of sensitivity. Often I hear people use the term jap. As a Japanese 4th generation since WW2 I don't take it too personally. My wifes grandfather as a WW2 Japanese American veteran that was treated like crap sure would though. Should we tell all of them to lighten up as the war was 60+ years ago?

Clearly by the response to this topic most feel it was nothing, but some feel it has no place in sales/customer service. The OP doesn't stand alone on this one. Just let him deal with it they way he wants. For me personally the joke wasn't bad enough for me to get my blood pressure and stress level up. However, that is me. Everyone else is different.
Old 12-06-06 | 04:33 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

good response. Its not so much I got hurt. Its that I got hurt becuase I know thats not a response he should've said. Yeah. I think thats it.
Old 12-06-06 | 05:55 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by starstreak
Ok,I'm a bit ticked so I desided to post this in a thread.

I desided to call the Hawaii local dealer to ask about the navigation. The operator patches me to the new sales rep. I ask him if the IS comes with a reverse camera. He tells me no but they can install an aftermarket one. I say is that because the navigation isn't installed on the Hawaii Lexus cars? He says yes and they can't even order the car with navigation.
<here's the part>
I ask him why not? You can get a working navigation in the BMW, Infiniti cars.. He says without skipping a beat "Becuase Lexus owners can read maps". I'm like what the hell?(Didn't say that out loud) but after a few seconds he says "Oh, hehe I was just kidding. Its becuase there is no map dvd for Hawaii".

As a potential buyer, you don't cut down the customer whos asking for a $2,000 addon.

I wish I took down his name. If I was there I would've yelled at him big time.

Oh yes. I know it sounds funny. But not at the time. There are times for jokes (like when you have the mute on your phone) and times when you keep comments to yourself.

I think somebody needs a nappy...
Old 12-06-06 | 06:02 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Lol it was joke, and he was trying to sell a Lexus, so he insinuated you were smart for wanting one. Guess what, BMW salespeople tell buyers that Lexuses are just rebadged Toyota's, but oh my God, what if I happen to own a Lexus when he says that!! I'll just cry!!
Old 12-06-06 | 06:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Only one thing to do here, "Book him, Danno. Murder One".

The only thing I would add is this. You knew the answer to your question when you asked the rep. So what were you really looking for? Looks to me like you were 'cruisin' for a brusin'', and any answer wasn't going to be sufficient. Just let it go. His response wasn't that bad.
Old 12-06-06 | 06:18 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

the salesperson needs to wait until the potential buyer lowers the bar. then the salesperson can follow...with caution. or else, well you see what might happen.
Old 12-06-06 | 06:54 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Only one thing to do here, "Book him, Danno. Murder One".

The only thing I would add is this. You knew the answer to your question when you asked the rep. So what were you really looking for? Looks to me like you were 'cruisin' for a brusin'', and any answer wasn't going to be sufficient. Just let it go. His response wasn't that bad.
Actually no. All the ansers I heard about the navigation was on the boards. Nothing from the dealer. And I could've sworn I saw a LCD in the IS in the showroom, so that's why I thought you could get the reverse camera.