IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me choose between IS and ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 12:13 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose between IS and ES

I need a sedan. The LS is too big for me. The GS is nice, again too big.

I am thinking ES or IS. Other than RWD on the IS, is there any major differences?

The IS has been out a little longer so I think the bugs have been ironed out as well.
Old 12-06-06, 12:16 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what your looking for. The IS is a bit more sport oriented, smaller, more nimble. The ES is a true entry level luxury sedan. Quiet, smooth, easy to drive, more room.
Old 12-06-06, 12:17 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pocky
Depends on what your looking for. The IS is a bit more sport oriented, smaller, more nimble. The ES is a true entry level luxury sedan. Quiet, smooth, easy to drive, more room.
Do they both come with a spare tire/jack? Not into run flats.

I like the ES but I am conerned about some of the quirks folks have mentioned. i.e. tranny, windw noise, cold starts. Am I just being paranoid?
Old 12-06-06, 12:20 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Do they both come with a spare tire/jack? Not into run flats.

I like the ES but I am conerned about some of the quirks folks have mentioned. i.e. tranny, windw noise, cold starts. Am I just being paranoid?
Yeah, they both come with it.

Your not being paranoid, things happen.
Old 12-06-06, 12:24 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I drove an ES350 as a loaner car the other week and I could never imagine myself driving that car every day. It too big for me and left me feeling numb while driving it. The steering was also way too light and gave me little to no feedback from the road. On the plus side it was very nice car, comfortable and quick when I'd ask it to be quick.
Old 12-06-06, 12:27 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried out ES350. Don't like its handling, too soft. I don't feel steering wheel control, too soft and light. After trying out that ES, I must say I love my IS. IS has great handling and looks good inside and outside.
Old 12-06-06, 12:29 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD = Boring.
RWD = Fun!

What other explanation do you need?
Old 12-06-06, 12:30 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by cspec
FWD = Boring.
RWD = Fun!

What other explanation do you need?
LOL! dang...need 10 characters to reply.....dot dot dot..
Old 12-06-06, 01:01 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the ES is NICE and floaty, like a Japanese Buick, for people who value luxury and a smooth ride, but don't necessarily enjoy the act of driving. The IS has more sense of purpose, charging like a pit bull (I'm referring to 350). I would pick IS350 over ES350, but IS250 vs ES350 is a tougher call.
Old 12-06-06, 01:10 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I got a ES350 as a loaner car when i took my IS250AWD in. Such a different beast.

1. Too big
2. very floaty.. i thouht the IS was already like that, the ES takes it to another level.
3. didn't like the ergonomics of it..

What I did like was the way the instrument panel illuminated. The LED light behind the tach and speedo needles.. that was cool.
Old 12-06-06, 01:43 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r1lee
I got a ES350 as a loaner car when i took my IS250AWD in. Such a different beast.

1. Too big
2. very floaty.. i thouht the IS was already like that, the ES takes it to another level.
3. didn't like the ergonomics of it..

What I did like was the way the instrument panel illuminated. The LED light behind the tach and speedo needles.. that was cool.
Exactly.....
Old 12-06-06, 01:49 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

If you want..

A smooth, comfortable, and plesant driving experience ES all the way. It has plenty of power! Plus, the ES is MUCH quieter than the IS.

If you want fun, civic stomping ability, and a sporty feel go with the IS.

The civic stomping ability makes it well worth it!

(Not picking on all civic drivers.. you all know what I am talking about!)
Old 12-06-06, 02:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What would be the purpose of the car?

Are you going to drive it fast? Are you going to conquer every turn and twist on the road? Are you enthusiastic about "the driving experience"? Do you drive alone most of the time? Are you stylistically prominent?

Or are you going to drive it casually? Are you more concerned about comfort and a smooth ride, isolating you from most bumps on the road? Do you want to be pampered? Do you have passengers often in the car? Are you stylistically reserved?

There is a huge difference in the cars' personalities. How is your personality?

Your next car should be an extension of your personality.

You can ask people on the IS forum which you should get. You can ask people on the ES forum which you get. However, you should ASK YOURSELF which is best for you...

Good luck.

And get the IS350...
Old 12-06-06, 02:16 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i will have the same problem in a couple of years

after my lease is up, i could either get anouther es (had 2 of them already) or another is - which i have now. got the es as a loaner a couple weeks ago and was surprised how much i DIDNT like it. my 2002 ES was the best car i have every leased BTW. the new es is TOO floaty IMO, maybe they make a sports package? like the body, stereo sucked, bluetooth standard was cool, egg shaped center console would take a little getting used to. i'm going to have 2 kids by the time i have to decide, and i think im STILL going to get another IS350...if my wife lets me !

insurance is way cheaper for the es, just thought i'd throw that in....

Last edited by umpalumpa; 12-06-06 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 02:19 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Are you going to drive it fast? Are you going to conquer every turn and twist on the road? Are you enthusiastic about "the driving experience"? Do you drive alone most of the time? Are you stylistically prominent?

Or are you going to drive it casually? Are you more concerned about comfort and a smooth ride, isolating you from most bumps on the road? Do you want to be pampered? Do you have passengers often in the car? Are you stylistically reserved?

There is a huge difference in the cars' personalities. How is your personality?

Your next car should be an extension of your personality.

You can ask people on the IS forum which you should get. You can ask people on the ES forum which you get. However, you should ASK YOURSELF which is best for you...

Good luck.

And get the IS350...
I agree. If you are going to be traveling with multiple people often and desire a large back seat, definitely go with the ES. The rear legroom in the IS is non existent.

As stated above, it really all depends on your needs. How are you going to be using the car? Who is going to be with you? Got kids over the age of 10? etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Help me choose between IS and ES