IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

speakers wiring on OEM amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06 | 12:38 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Default speakers wiring on OEM amp

Does anyone have info on how the speakers are wired to amp?

Front Hi - Front Mid - Front Low to amp or Front Hi/Mid and Low to amp?

Rear full to amp?

JL clean sweep or Audio Control?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-06 | 12:49 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

ive been debating the same thing... if you want to bypass the factory equalization go with the Cleansweep. but i prefer the Audiocontrol LC8 since it has more outputs and flexibility. from what i understand you have to sum the speaker outputs into the LC8 or cleansweep to get the signal to feed the amps. maybe cmusic will chime in here to help us out?
Old 12-06-06 | 01:39 PM
sanwong
Driver

The factory amp(nonML) has several plugs in it and if you go to your local stereo store and purchase 2 or 3 metra 71-1761 harness then you can use them to interface to the factory amp......I did that going into a audio control lc8 and then from that into a JL Cleansweep You need the LC8 as a summing device unless you use the JL ss1...since the cleansweep needs a full range signal and if you get metra's 70-1761 harness you then have speaker connections

Last edited by sanwong; 12-06-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-06-06 | 03:34 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sanwong
The factory amp(nonML) has several plugs in it and if you go to your local stereo store and purchase 2 or 3 metra 71-1761 harness then you can use them to interface to the factory amp......I did that going into a audio control lc8 and then from that into a JL Cleansweep You need the LC8 as a summing device unless you use the JL ss1...since the cleansweep needs a full range signal and if you get metra's 70-1761 harness you then have speaker connections
is there really big difference with and without using the clean sweep? have you tried running your system with output coming directly from the LC8? i have not looked at the stock amp yet but can i use 1 or 2 of the metra harness just so i can get the signal for the Front speakers and sub? I was planning to use a 4 CH amp and run a set of 3 way components and power a single sub. I like to make the wiring simple as possible so that it can be returned to stock without hassle.
Old 12-06-06 | 05:49 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Is the 71-1761 a male or female harness? Are you saying that I can not use the Cleansweep directly from the amp?
Old 12-06-06 | 08:52 PM
sanwong
Driver

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Is the 71-1761 a male or female harness? Are you saying that I can not use the Cleansweep directly from the amp?
No you can't because the cleansweep requires a full range signal and all the signals coming from the factory amp are crossed over. The 70-1761 will plug into the harness to connect to the speakers whereas the 71-1761 plugs into the factory amp to provide signal from the deck/amp
Old 12-06-06 | 08:54 PM
sanwong
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
is there really big difference with and without using the clean sweep? have you tried running your system with output coming directly from the LC8? i have not looked at the stock amp yet but can i use 1 or 2 of the metra harness just so i can get the signal for the Front speakers and sub? I was planning to use a 4 CH amp and run a set of 3 way components and power a single sub. I like to make the wiring simple as possible so that it can be returned to stock without hassle.
The cleansweep also equalizes the signal and gives you a volume control and another aux input
Old 12-06-06 | 09:33 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Sanwong,

Do you have pictures of your set-up?
Old 12-06-06 | 09:38 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Someone had said that the factory deck is almost flat. What did your system sound like without the Clean Sweep?

The LC8 is basicly a high performance High/Low converter right?
Old 12-06-06 | 10:38 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, is there a place I can start learning and becoming an audiophile like yourselves?
Old 12-07-06 | 07:13 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cspec
I have no clue what you guys are talking about, is there a place I can start learning and becoming an audiophile like yourselves?
i'm on the same boat as you are!
Old 12-07-06 | 07:58 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Does anyone have info on how the speakers are wired to amp?

Front Hi - Front Mid - Front Low to amp or Front Hi/Mid and Low to amp?

Rear full to amp?

JL clean sweep or Audio Control?

Thanks!
Sorry for not seeing this thread earlier. I have been busy with other things.

For the non-ML system the mids and tweeters in each door are on one channel while the woofers are on their own channel. So each door has two channels. The rear doors are the same as the fronts. The woofers play from 50 Hz to 1 KHz. The mids and tweeters play 1 Khz and up. The sub has two channels from the factory amp and plays from 30 to roughly 120 Hz.

The sub has an 6 dB eq boost around 80 Hz and the woofer channels have a slight 3 dB dip around 250 to 500 Hz. The mid/tweeter channels are flat with no eq. If you have a seperate eq in the aftermarket system you could lower 80 Hz 4-6 dB and be perfectly fine without having to use a JL Audio Cleansweep. The slight dip from 250 to 500 Hz is not as noticable or annoying as the 80 Hz boost. If you are adding a sub a boost around 25 Hz can also bring out the deep subbass the factory sub can't handle.

I've used the Audio Control LC8 with excellent results but now I use two David Navone LOCs (Line Output Convertors or hi/low convertors) and sum their outputs together. I had to do some extra wiring with the Navone LOCs but ended up with the same result as the LC8 for about half the cost. For most non-car audio installer types the LC8 is the best choice.

Originally Posted by cspec
To learn how to install car audio equipment is a task in of itself that can take many years. You can search and join car audio message boards like www.elitecaraudio.com and www.diymobileaudio.com that have many experienced installers that can help you with car audio questions.

To become an audiophile you just have to love music. But to really learn how to understand things like tonality, imaging, staging, and likewise stuff you need to listen to some really well recorded demo CDs like from Checky, Telarc, and other audiophile record labels. Click here for Chesky Demo CDs. I recommend starting with the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disk. That CD will explain what to listen for before the song. With a few listens to that CD you will know how to listen like an audiophile.
Old 12-07-06 | 10:55 AM
sanwong
Driver

Sanwong,

Do you have pictures of your set-up?
I will need to take some and post them....I own an Audio store so Xmas is keeping me swamped right now
Old 12-07-06 | 12:51 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Cmusic,

Thank you for the detailed info. It really helped to understand without ripping it all out and test.

I saw something online on Soundgate's Active line output converter LOCB.2. Have you looked into this?
If it works the the IS, then is is a great product to use. No hi/lows straight from the deck.