NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

test drive all of them + (Research + Gut Feeling) = your perfect vehicle
Old 12-06-06, 06:35 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Can't test drive yet. But that doesnt mean I cant ask your thoughts on what to get. As I said at the start, I know most of you are IS biased, adn that's fine. Just tell me what you like or what little things it has that you like. I asked the same thing on the bmw forum and I'm sure I'll get to hear their side.

Someone asked in a previous post why no nav. Hawaii doesn't have a map on the Lexus. But does for both the BMW and Infiniti.
Old 12-06-06, 07:21 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I feel that is a bit of a downer on the IS is the 'road feel'. The steering doesn't have as much feedback as I'd like .... and the handling in bumpy corners can get a bit skittery. And that's with the Sports suspension. It's not a huge thing, but when you hustle the car a bit at 8/10's or so it tends to feel unsettled on the bumpy stuff. Don't think Lexus is prepared to go down the road of a hard core road racer yet. Maybe in the future.

Other than that I have no complaint's. It bristles with gadgets and electronic stuff. The NAV is handy but understand its not available in HI. Mark Levinson is a must have, imo. XM satellite also well worth it.

Of the three cars the Lexus is the high grade one in the looks department. Personal opinion, of course. The updated Infiniti just looks too round for my taste and doesn't look luxurious to me. Park the Bimmer next to the IS and the 335 will look frumpy. The IS is a class act and priced very well. Reliability is an added bonus.
Old 12-06-06, 07:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Let me just say one thing...

I would HIGHLY recommend you spend some time on this forum, BMW forum, and Infinity forum!!!! If you read through threads that interests you, you'd be able to get a REAL good idea of what features there are on the 3 cars, what's good, what's bad, read reviews by forum members, etc, etc, etc!!
Just as a matter of curiosity.......what are considered the equivalent BMW and Infiniti forums? I'd like to go over and take a peak in my spare time.
Old 12-06-06, 07:36 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Just as a matter of curiosity.......what are considered the equivalent BMW and Infiniti forums? I'd like to go over and take a peak in my spare time.
1) Bimmerforum.com
2) g35driver.com

To be honest, I didn't spend much time on G35 after few peeks on the forum... But, I still go on BMW's.
Old 12-06-06, 07:51 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Also check out e90post.com... tons of info there regarding the 335i.

To give you a little insight from my experience.. after driving the 335i sedan, I was in love. Power was there, at any rpm and speed. Very little turbo lag as well. Basically, if you love driving, you will get the BMW. Aesthetically, IS>3series imo. I'm not sure about the reliability of the beemer, however I may be able to provide some info after February when the 335i gets here. My IS felt a little ..... boring to drive afterwards. I realized how much the IS pampers me. Anyways, just my observations.

Last edited by GSE25; 12-06-06 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 08:10 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

BMW nickels and dimes you to death with options and their interior is plain ugly imo...test drive em and buy what makes you happy.
Old 12-06-06, 08:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

335i all the way for me! until IS-F comes out next year
Old 12-06-06, 08:24 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a g35...that is the best value I think....also, for whatever reason, lexus isolates the driver from the car...
Old 12-06-06, 08:25 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Do you plan on taking any road trips? That rules out the BMW. If you have a flat out on the open road, your trip is ruined. No one will repair the run flats, and the likelyhood of a new (expensive) tire being stocked whereever you are is highly remote.

So you get to drive around all the time hoping your bimmer does not get a flat.

I will never again buy a car with a spare and jack, even if it has run flats.
Who told you that you can't fix runflats. I had an M3 and a Corvette with runflats and had them both fixed with patches.
Old 12-06-06, 08:48 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

To answer some questions, I would be buying the car with little or no monthly payements so its a car that I would be keeping for a while.

What are some gas milage you guys are getting with the IS350?

I saw some BMW and Lexuses with the deep dish rims. Sweet. I want those but dunno if I'll have enough to buy them after I get a fully loaded car.
Old 12-06-06, 09:42 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

I sat in an all wheel drive 07 G35S. Interior is better than my 2IS 350 in my opinion and I'm sure it does not have the issues of alignment, veering and no back seat. The IS350 has its share of issues.

BTW if you get satelite get SIRIUS, it blows XM away. I forsee XM closing up shop in 3 years because SIRIUS is gobbling up all the great content. We can't get SIRIUS in our IS's unless we dedicate our lives in making it work. I'm using an SIRIUS S50 through a ground loop isolater and through the aux and it works but very ghetto. Unfortunately Lexus gave me a choice, I paid for it and they still have no SIRIUS available 8 months later, total BS.

I also sat in a 335i and was not impressed, the interior is flat out fugly and the body style leaves some to be desired as well. And its 10 grand more.

If I had a chance to do it all over again the G35 would of been my choice because of price and overall value (and Infiniti offers SIRIUS). While my IS lease is gouged at 600 a month (cause it's a lexus, snoot) I bet you can get a G35 for at least a hundred bucks less. Speed and comfort are about the same and I still can't get over the interior of the G35 still..it's just beautiful!

Good Luck on your choice, either way you should be a winner!
Old 12-06-06, 09:44 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Do you plan on taking any road trips? That rules out the BMW. If you have a flat out on the open road, your trip is ruined. No one will repair the run flats, and the likelyhood of a new (expensive) tire being stocked whereever you are is highly remote.

So you get to drive around all the time hoping your bimmer does not get a flat.

I will never again buy a car with a spare and jack, even if it has run flats.
I thought the concept and purpose of run flats is so you don't have to worry about getting a flat on the open road. You're able to drive 150 miles or something like that on it even though it is flat. But anyway, It comes down to gadgets it seems, I'm still shopping myself and what makes me lean towards the IS is the fact that the smart key access and start is standard where as with BMW it is an option also automatic tranny is standard. Which ever way to decide you will have a nice car good luck.

Last edited by Style2k6; 12-06-06 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 09:49 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Style2k6
I thought the concept and purpose of run flats is so you don't have to worry about getting a flat on the open road. Your able to drive150 miles or something like that on it even though it is flat.
If you drive more than a few miles, the sidewall is ruined and the tire cannot be repaired. Yes you can drive 150 miles, but I guarantee you that you will need to buy a new tire for sure.

Quick Reply: What car to get: Lexus IS/BMW 335i sedan/Infiniti G35 sedan