IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What car to get: Lexus IS/BMW 335i sedan/Infiniti G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 04:22 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car to get: Lexus IS/BMW 335i sedan/Infiniti G35 sedan

I'm gonna ask this on the bmw forum too, but what would be your reasons for getting one of those cars? I know you're biased to the Lexus IS, which is fine, tell me why it's a good car!

I'm a techno gadget freak. It's gonna be my first big buy on a car. I wanted one with good MPG, looks, Xenon, navigation, reverse camera, bluetooth, gadgets that would set it apart. Example is like how BMW has LED puddle lights on the door handle. Or Lexus has the LED cabin lights, Infiniti the round LED tail lights. Also has to be smaller than 190inches. Wife added that teh car needs to be smalelr than my Maxima.

Heres what I see so far:

BMW 335i- I can get one in BLACK(not metallic, I wanted metallic) with everything I wanted but no reverse camera or navigation. It'll be in a month or so, or I can special order a car and wait 90 days. Gas milage 19/29

Lexus IS- No navigation, supposedly I can order it with reverse camera(not sure how that can be done), and since I havn't been down to the dealer except for just a peek, I dont know if they even have any IS350 in stock. Gas 21/28.

Infinitig35- Car comes in this week. Has everything including the navigation and reverse camera. BUT no sport pkg. so no sport shifters, sport seats, alluminum pedals. Gas Milage 19/26

My maxima gets average 16mpg right now.

What do you think?
Old 12-06-06, 04:25 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any car except for the G35. =X
Old 12-06-06, 04:26 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

1. Lexus if you want the best looking of the three

2. Infiniti if you need more rear seat room

3. BMW if you like dealer visits.
Old 12-06-06, 04:27 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

kk, but why do you say that? Seriously please. IF I get the chance to buy the new car, it would be in the next few weeks, so I need to know all the good and bad things. If you have the 2007 IS tell me why you like it. if there was a good feature you thought to mention?
Old 12-06-06, 04:28 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
1. Lexus if you want the best looking of the three

2. Infiniti if you need more rear seat room

3. BMW if you like dealer visits.
I thught that too. but after being on the BMW forums for about a week now, it looks safe for the new model. So far...
Old 12-06-06, 04:29 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starstreak
kk, but why do you say that? Seriously please. IF I get the chance to buy the new car, it would be in the next few weeks, so I need to know all the good and bad things. If you have the 2007 IS tell me why you like it. if there was a good feature you thought to mention?
Having owned several BMW's I say get the Lexus. I don't want all the issues that a BMW will give you.

I won't even mention the terrible run flat tires, crappy navigation system, or lack of a frickin dipstick.
Old 12-06-06, 04:38 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Depends, too many variables:
- will you lease or buy
- do you have a budget or target price range
- how long will you keep the car
- what trait/s is most important to YOU: reliability, ride & comfort, handling, performance, etc, etc
Old 12-06-06, 04:42 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it all depends on how much you value the nav option. It's a shame the G is the only car available now with nav. Someone at work has one, and while it's nice and all I just don't feel it. If it were me I'd wait for the BMW w/nav. If you don't want to wait and can live without nav I'd get the Lexus. If you need the car now and want nav get the G, but I think the wife may not like the size.

Good Luck
Old 12-06-06, 04:44 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

this is the 2is sub-forum, you know. we're obviously going to tell you to get the 2is. all three cars are capable performers; it comes down to which car you can see yourself with not only in the immediate future, but also a couple months months, even YEARS, down the road. this is especially important if you're financing the vehicle...

btw the G35 is the longest of the trio. feels like it too.
Old 12-06-06, 04:52 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2IS obviously.
Old 12-06-06, 04:55 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Do you plan on taking any road trips? That rules out the BMW. If you have a flat out on the open road, your trip is ruined. No one will repair the run flats, and the likelyhood of a new (expensive) tire being stocked whereever you are is highly remote.

So you get to drive around all the time hoping your bimmer does not get a flat.

I will never again buy a car with a spare and jack, even if it has run flats.
Old 12-06-06, 04:55 PM
eddo1
Driver

Why can't you get nav with the Lexus? I have Nav and Mark Levinson and the stereo just rocks!

Stuff I like:
-Mark Levinson/ Nav
-Puddle lamps on IS are under the outside mirrors and easily converts to LED
-Lighted Lexus plate on door sill which I don't have (sport pkg 2006)
-Excellent leather - nice and soft. The 330i I drove felt like cardboard
-AFS lamps - HIDs moves when turning
-Looks! Looks! Looks!
-Heated and cooled seats!! Turn on AC in hot weather and you're like floating on air! (I know some people doesn't think much of it though)
-Reliability!!!!

BMW:
-Fast! Fast! Fast! (Lexus is very fast also)
-Excellent road feel! (Lexus is not as good tho)
-Actual aluminum interior option
-sucky nav, idrive
-Sucky reliability - drove 525i, M3, 325i all had too many "little" issues

Infiniti:
Don't know yet
Old 12-06-06, 05:00 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Have you test driven any of the three cars mentioned?? I would think that would help you in your decision most. I would also HIGHLY suggest that you do far more DD on your first big $$$ car purchase and don't be in such a rush. No what you want and what you can afford and then WAIT for it if you have to. You will never be completely happy with your purchase if you settle for something just because it is available right now. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-06, 05:19 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

If you decision is on Gadgets... The Is350 is for you period. I tell people I feel like Captain Kirk in mine. I’m not to sure about the G35 yet, but the BMW is sill stuck in the 80’s for this stuff and most of it is not standard. Gadgets in the BWM = Big $$$.
Old 12-06-06, 05:26 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Let me just say one thing...

I would HIGHLY recommend you spend some time on this forum, BMW forum, and Infinity forum!!!! If you read through threads that interests you, you'd be able to get a REAL good idea of what features there are on the 3 cars, what's good, what's bad, read reviews by forum members, etc, etc, etc!!

When I thought about buying a car after graduating college, my first choice was an M3. But, I spent about a month and a half on this forum!! Went through every thread that seemed interesting and got FIRST hand experience from people who own cars.

After spending LOT of time on the forums, I decided to go for IS350 and I placed an order at the end of September. Ofcourse, I should mention, that I work for Toyota! That was another reason why I chose 2IS because of employee discount. But I truley believe that I am getting a great car, employee discount or not! Bottom line is to spend some time doing RESEARCH!!!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: What car to get: Lexus IS/BMW 335i sedan/Infiniti G35 sedan