IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oui Pompous Rich Kid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 09:24 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
"Most" people in their early 20's? ... No. Definitely not even close to true.

The vast majority of people in their early 20's can NOT afford this car. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Hell, most people at ANY age can't.
Absolutely
Old 12-08-06, 09:59 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I'm 38. Maybe I'm too old to be driving this rich kid's version of a Honda Civic....
Old 12-08-06, 10:03 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

i'm 32, damn i feel old
Old 12-08-06, 10:15 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

I get so many bad comments from driving my LX and A4 at 18.
When I was driving my month-old red A4, these (racist) white people
and their kids flipped me off!!Just because Im asian! Even the 40ish looking man talking in a phone(driver) flipped me off! Wow I noticed they just got a used GS but I was so frustrated.I was THINKING about following their car and pissing them off with my car(S mode with intake boost and exhaust boost) but
nah I just let it go. Also when I was driving my LX down the road I saw this guy in a Camry (while it was raining) constantly get in front of me to splash a huge amount of water onto my windshield.I got pissed off and corned him to the side of the interstate until I got him off the road

Last edited by LXotic; 12-08-06 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-08-06, 10:19 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

I'm 35 and I am a pompous rich kid. My parents basically bought me this car. They give my brother, sister and I a large sum of money every 2 years so I guess you can say they bought my pompous **** this car!
Old 12-08-06, 10:21 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Not to be nosy, but how young ARE you? It sounds like this happened at your place of work, right? In which case, you're old enough to have a full-time job, so wouldn't that make it pretty obvious you're old enough to buy your own car?

I've had similar experiences... not at work, but other places. Maybe I should have waited more than five months after graduation to get this car.
I am 23 years old. I work for the government and unlike basic salaries we are hired upon a level of experience (until that too changes), and what I mean by levels of experience is rankings.

So out of a possible ranking from GS-1 to GS-15 I am greater than the average which falls between GS-5 to GS-7 and am also on an accelerated pay scale, but I am not greater than a GS-13. Okay, TMI but you have to understand the culture of where I work. Obviously, they think that since I am younger I fall between the mid range to low range gap of pay. So to be in that pay bracket and to own said car leads them to believe that I must have some form of assistance. Believe, when some of these old guys discover my pay grade they are like "WTF? HOW?!" Not bragging by no means, explaining the culture of my work place.. very much like the military.

It makes it probable to be able to own your own car yes.. but truthfully, besides the people we speak with on this forum how many 20-30 year olds actually have their own lux. car? I mean ALL of the brands. Not many, I am the first out of all of my friends.. And I may know in passing maybe two others which Mom/Dad had to help them with!
Old 12-08-06, 10:24 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel what you feel IS_Mine. Just enjoy your ride and ignore the haters.

Why can't we all just get along? Plus wouldn't you feel better saying "Hey kid, nice car you drive there"
Old 12-08-06, 10:30 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kepeli
I'm 35 and I am a pompous rich kid. My parents basically bought me this car. They give my brother, sister and I a large sum of money every 2 years so I guess you can say they bought my pompous **** this car!
Wow!!! 35 and still milking your parents
Don't you have a desire for independence and self worth?
Old 12-08-06, 10:30 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

23/Asian/Male/Purchased on my own

..I've experienced something similar in the past. Stereotypes have some truths to them, but in no way are they true. The lexus IS may not be the creme de la creme of automobiles, but it is still an expensive car. How many people do you know can actually afford such a vehicle? not many. There isn't anything a more we need in a vehicle then lets say a toyota yaris offers. Anything more is just extravagant, we have grown accustomed to having unlimited wants. It is not just the youth who are spoiled today, America as a whole is spoiled rotten. Why do you think so many countries hate us? There are millions of people in the world who can't afford to feed themselves, while we have enough disposable income to purchase 45k vehicles...and then enough leisure time to get on an internet forum to talk about it.

IS_mine you did the right thing by being polite. No one should ever try to categorize another person into a stereotype...we just don't fit. So just dust your shoulders off.

P.S. I have no idea where i was going with this...but here it is..and there you are.

EDIT: I think I was leading to the point that stereotypes are bad..very bad.
Old 12-08-06, 10:32 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha..

Its a trend! All of us Asians are taking over. NoooooOOoo!!
Old 12-08-06, 10:41 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Hahaha..

Its a trend! All of us Asians are taking over. NoooooOOoo!!
sometimes I feel depressed some people make racist comments about me.
Just because I'm Asian
Old 12-08-06, 10:45 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
sometimes I feel depressed some people make racist comments about me.
Just because I'm Asian
Stop being asian...j/k I'm asian too...I just don't fit into any of the asian stereotypes. Although I did have spikey hair up until today, I shaved it. And I'm in the IT field....computer club!!!

Move to California or The D.C. Metro area..you would fit right in. I dont think racism exists in the two places i just mentioned...i know cause I live in the great state of Northern VA
Old 12-08-06, 10:47 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Stop being asian...j/k I'm asian too...I just don't fit into any of the asian stereotypes. Although I did have spikey hair up until today, I shaved it. And I'm in the IT field....computer club!!!

lol I have really spikey hair and I'm a designer/co-owner of cleaning company
Old 12-08-06, 11:06 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
I get so many bad comments from driving my LX and A4 at 18.
When I was driving my month-old red A4, these (racist) white people
and their kids flipped me off!!Just because Im asian! Even the 40ish looking man talking in a phone(driver) flipped me off! Wow I noticed they just got a used GS but I was so frustrated.I was THINKING about following their car and pissing them off with my car's awesome speeds(S mode with intake boost and exhaust boost) but
nah I just let it go. Also when I was driving my LX down the road I saw this guy in a Camry (while it was raining) constantly get in front of me to splash a huge amount of water onto my windshield.I got pissed off and corned him to the side of the interstate until I got him off the road and sent his car basically crashing into the hill.
and you wonder why you get so many bad comments and the birds so often ? dude.. I would think twice about running people off the road next time.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251956
Old 12-08-06, 11:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Imagine what it's like to be an E-6 in the Air Force and buy a brand new TT Supra. I got LOTS of funny looks, and it even caused a few issues when I renewed my clearance.

But I'm older now. 46. Yes the IS is more expensive than entry level cars, but it's not terribly expensive. The problem with being young is many older people feel they've worked hard and they've not achieved enough success to have things like these. I'm sorry for them. I'm not sympathetic. It's also quite possible these people have chosen a different financial path and are convinced you can't afford this by yourself because they're putting you in their paradigm for financial success.

I honestly don't care how someone gets what they have. I just make sure I'm on track for what I want. I often wonder if some of these people wouldn't do much better in life if they focused on solving their own issues instead of griping about other's success. What a waste of time.

Quick Reply: Oui Pompous Rich Kid