IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oui Pompous Rich Kid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 03:35 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
I am 35 and live in a very nice home and finally bought myself a "nice" car. But if I did not get married so young then I would have bought a nice car a lot sooner than at my current age.

My philosophy is that you work for a living and you should do what makes you happy. You work for your money, no one else does, so it is up to you how to spend it. I have three kids and they all have funds for school and weddings (two girls and one boy). They came first and after that came our nice car.

I went to a very wealthy school where most of the kids drove mercedes and bmw's. I drove a few different cars over the years of high school. All of these cars I bought with money I earned at Mcdonald's flipping burgers and getting up at 3am to do the truck unloading. They may have had the "nicer" cars but mine was always better taken care of than any one of the kids who drove the "fancy" cars because I had EARNED my ride.

I also find as I get older the "kids" annoy me more and more. As time goes by many of us will turn into the old men behind the car. Every time I see a kid with his pants hanging down I want to give the guy a melvin.

Heck...maybe I am getting older at heart.

LMAO!!!! FWIW IS_MINE my nickname at work simply because of my car is MoneyBags or Richie Rich lol.. Guess they could be worse
Old 12-08-06, 03:48 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navigatn
where I am, people don't even look at the IS... 18yr olds drive IS's, early twenties drive M3's, late twenties better be driving 5series or E class.
LOL.... I try to keep a good attitude toward ridiculous posts on the forum but this just validates everything that the OP is trying to argue against. I mean, if ever there was a "rich spoiled kid" I would consider myself that. I'm by no means rich in the sense that I could retire right away. However, I have my ducks in a row and I feel that I'm better off than your average Joe. But, I never would have dreamed that an 18-year old would consider an IS. I think there was a thread some time back on average age of the IS buyer on this forum. I can't remember the results but I would venture a guess that that segment was one of the lowest. I'm 35 and I drive an IS. My father on the other hand wouldn't have ever been able to dream of owning a car of this caliber at that age... and he is quite surprised (and proud) that I'm able to afford what I have. Now, as time progresses I can see that it's probable that my kids will have even more prestigious automobiles than I had at around the same age. But in today's world to say that someone my age (where you live granted) wouldn't even consider owning an IS is obsurd; that late 20s better be driving 5 series or E-class??? I don't make it a habit of attacking people and please don't take this as such but.....dude, you've got a warped view of reality.
Old 12-08-06, 03:48 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

even though i make a pretty good living, i worked hard to get my 2is, and i still work hard so i can afford it and still live well. so if anyone's gonna get at me because i drive a 2is, they need to walk a mile in my shoes before they can say how "easy" i have it.

it's like TI said... "whatchu know about that?"
Old 12-08-06, 04:00 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I've lived here almost my entire life. And, I happen to be half white folk, half south korean.

And, truth be told, I do still live with my parents but thats only because they want me 100% financially off before they let me go. Which means, no school loans (which is almost gone. Yay!) and when real estate calms donw. Hurricane Katrina really screwed that up!!! But hey! I pay bills too!

i'm curious... what part of MS do you reside in? I'm from the Jackson area.
Old 12-08-06, 04:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken Steele pretty much hit it on the head. So not much more to add on that front.

But long term this early ownership of a Lexus is going to cause problems for most luxury purveyors like Lexus. How you ask? Because in the past luxury items (Cadillacs, Rolex watches, McIntosh audio gear, a big house, etc) were ASPIRATIONAL products. Products that people worked a long time to be able to afford as a badge of success. They weren't available in quantity or price for younger people to afford them. But over the last 20 years or so luxury is often no more than clever marketing. If you can place even a mass produced product in the marketplace as a luxury product and it is accepted as such, the battle is won. Brands like Lexus have been too successful in this regard because today almost ANYONE who can afford a monthly payment can drive a $50,000 car. Luxury is nothing more than a commodity now. It's available to all if they can afford the payment. The luxury gurus know this and they are already moving. There already are certain items or services that are starting to be made in very limited quantites and which are only sold to certain individuals to have the right image, and $$, for the brand. One of the best known items in this category is the Black American Express Card. It is not advertised and AX does not allow people to acquire one just because they want one, even if they could afford it. It is a targeted product for certain individuals who fit AX's profile. That is where the market is moving.

Lexus is a great product, but has become almost too popular and affordable. And for those 'kids' who get upset bacause they are perceived as spoiled rich kids, well, maybe you should rethink why you think you need to have a car so expensive. Who are you trying to impress at such a young age? No judgement .... but something to think about.

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I've lived here almost my entire life. And, I happen to be half white folk, half south korean.

And, truth be told, I do still live with my parents but thats only because they want me 100% financially off before they let me go. Which means, no school loans (which is almost gone. Yay!) and when real estate calms donw. Hurricane Katrina really screwed that up!!! But hey! I pay bills too!
Only thing I would say is, "Who is running your life? You or your parents?" If you wait to when you are 100% financially off you'll be ready to collect Social Security! In the past kids got out of college and moved out the house. Guess it's not that way anymore.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-08-06 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 04:16 PM
revhi
Driver

Probably with the help of your parents. There is no way i'm gonna believe that you had enough money to start up a dry cleaner. And since most Koreans parents own dry cleaners, i'm going to assume your parents are owners of them. There is no way possible you have that much capital to start it by yourself unless you dropped out of hs and your parents were making you save every last dollar you ever had from your grandparents.

I'm sick of kids saying that they bought the car when they are immensely young . "Most" asian parents have money and since there sons are their "ivestment," the parents tend to by them whatever they want.

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
I'm a co-owner of 2 drycleaners/coin laundry
and I'm a designer
Old 12-08-06, 04:20 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by revhi
I'm sick of kids saying that they bought the car when they are immensely young . "Most" asian parents have money and since there sons are their "ivestment," the parents tend to by them whatever they want.
sounds like you might be a tad bitter that people get "financial aid" from their parents when it comes to large purchases?

I'm not asian, so I don't take direct offense to this, but it seems like you're casting them all into a stereotype, no?
Old 12-08-06, 04:31 PM
revhi
Driver

First of all let me rephrase what I said earlier
Most people out of college in there 20's can afford an IS. The reason why I stated what I did was because the original poster was making it sound like this car was a high end car.
And to you buddy:
1) I do live in a middle to upper class area and yes my friends do have money at the expense of our hard work in school.
2) I'm not ignorant to anything, i've been to plenty of countries to know that posperity in the world is and will always exist.
3) Dont assume anything. I dont even think what you stated but for someone to formulate that idea, must of got it from somewhere.

All in all, I guess what I was trying to say was that an IS isnt even a head turner or even a high end car[in most parts of the states], so who cares what other people think.

Originally Posted by tragic22
Wow ! That statement right there says everything about you we need to know.

1) Lives in a rich suburbian area where all his friends are rich
2) Is ignorant to the fact that most people in the world aren't wealthy
3) Parents may not have bought the car for him but probably is a "Pompous rich kid" who would see somebody driving a Toyota Camry and think he's better than them
Old 12-08-06, 04:33 PM
revhi
Driver

Bitter? haha not at all man. Stereotypes are stereotypes because some of them are true.

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
sounds like you might be a tad bitter that people get "financial aid" from their parents when it comes to large purchases?

I'm not asian, so I don't take direct offense to this, but it seems like you're casting them all into a stereotype, no?
Old 12-08-06, 04:35 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

just so everyone knows, the last post that i made is "what the typical [non-lexus] person may say to you regarding your Lexus IS." it's not exactly kensteele's view but i can't say i'm 100% unsympathetic to those views.

i think many here recognize that as you get older, it becomes apparent that younger kids "appear" to be wasting money on automobiles and certain automobile parts. no matter how hard you have worked, no matter how much extra money you have, no matter the reward or if you deserve it or not, a luxury automobile is NOT a wise investment, it cannot improve your cash flow, it cannot make your future brighter, and it simply can't be the "live it up while you are young since you won't be able to later" idea.

If you forgo the IS, you are likely to be able to live better later, with just a slightly different focus. Barring any unforseen financial disaster or unexpected bump in the road of gainful employment, purchasing a Toyota Corolla and taking the extra "Lexus" money and putting it a secured investment is 99% ALWAYS a wiser choice.

So the only reasonable answer left is...You want to drive to Lexus. You want to be seen, drive in style, perhaps show off a little bit, and live it up. Driving a Lexus is important to you. Not a bad thing. I used to think that way about Acura. Spent a lot of money on those damn Acura cars, too.

But your family and co-workers aren't all wrong. C'mon you can admit a little bit of it. If this car pulled off the Lexus badge and replaced it with the Toyota badge, we'd lose half of you guys and gals....including me.

Doesn't equate to spoiled, or arrogant, or undeserving. But it is a tiny bit unusual, no? I remember the day if you spent $45k on a car, you were richie rich. No doubt about it. Most people are not going to believe that a younger person paid cash for their car. That's the first assumption, right or wrong. So if you paid cash, let's say $40k and you are 23 years old, you better have $100k cash in the bank to do something like that. Chances are you had $45k in the bank.... Having $45k in the bank at age 23 is well...unheard of in the old days.

So let's say you financed this car. Some people pay upwards of $500, $800, maybe even $1,000 month, right? I dunno, I don't have a car payment.

If you are paying $800 every month for 60 or 72 months and you are 23 years old and "independent", what are you thinking?

^^^that's what the old folks are thinking^^^
Old 12-08-06, 04:35 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Stereotypes are stereotypes because some of them are true.

ROFL.... too true, wayyyyy too true.
Old 12-08-06, 04:46 PM
revhi
Driver

I totally understand what you are saying and I understand that "most" every car out there is a depreciating asset, if you can even call it an asset. However, there are people like my friends and I that dont think that this car is anything that great. I guess the people i'm surrounded with have such better cars that I lose track on how some peoples financial status is BUT i'm no idiot, and totally understand that. My whole thing was me hating on the kids that straight up lie about purchashing the car.

Originally Posted by kensteele
just so everyone knows, the last post that i made is "what the typical [non-lexus] person may say to you regarding your Lexus IS." it's not exactly kensteele's view but i can't say i'm 100% unsympathetic to those views.

i think many here recognize that as you get older, it becomes apparent that younger kids "appear" to be wasting money on automobiles and certain automobile parts. no matter how hard you have worked, no matter how much extra money you have, no matter the reward or if you deserve it or not, a luxury automobile is NOT a wise investment, it cannot improve your cash flow, it cannot make your future brighter, and it simply can't be the "live it up while you are young since you won't be able to later" idea.

If you forgo the IS, you are likely to be able to live better later, with just a slightly different focus. Barring any unforseen financial disaster or unexpected bump in the road of gainful employment, purchasing a Toyota Corolla and taking the extra "Lexus" money and putting it a secured investment is 99% ALWAYS a wiser choice.

So the only reasonable answer left is...You want to drive to Lexus. You want to be seen, drive in style, perhaps show off a little bit, and live it up. Driving a Lexus is important to you. Not a bad thing. I used to think that way about Acura. Spent a lot of money on those damn Acura cars, too.

But your family and co-workers aren't all wrong. C'mon you can admit a little bit of it. If this car pulled off the Lexus badge and replaced it with the Toyota badge, we'd lose half of you guys and gals....including me.

Doesn't equate to spoiled, or arrogant, or undeserving. But it is a tiny bit unusual, no? I remember the day if you spent $45k on a car, you were richie rich. No doubt about it. Most people are not going to believe that a younger person paid cash for their car. That's the first assumption, right or wrong. So if you paid cash, let's say $40k and you are 23 years old, you better have $100k cash in the bank to do something like that. Chances are you had $45k in the bank.... Having $45k in the bank at age 23 is well...unheard of in the old days.

So let's say you financed this car. Some people pay upwards of $500, $800, maybe even $1,000 month, right? I dunno, I don't have a car payment.

If you are paying $800 every month for 60 or 72 months and you are 23 years old and "independent", what are you thinking?

^^^that's what the old folks are thinking^^^
Old 12-08-06, 04:48 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

...Most people out of college in there 20's can afford an IS.
Please enlighten, me oh wise one, as to your definition of afford?

a. I have $100,000 in student loans but they aren't due for 7-10 years now so I can go get a Lexus for now, or

b. I'm out of college and since I am moving back home and don't have to pay rent, my new found credit will allow me to take out a car loan up to $950 per month for 72 months, or

c. They will give me a Lexus for as little as $500 downpayment, I have $500 somewhere (else I'll borrow it)....let me go buy a Lexus, or

d. Now that I am out of school, I have no plans to go to graduate school, no way. I got a great job out of college and if it weren't for these $25,000 in credit card bills, I could get a better car than a Lexus. Alas, since I only have to pay $175 minimums every month on them and my one room studio apartment is only going to run me $650 a month and that includes the utilities and cable, with the money I have left over nothing else to do with it....I get a roommate and then go get a Lexus.

What does "afford" mean?
Old 12-08-06, 04:48 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

for the people who say the young people should be contributing to 401k's, as much as thats the right thing to do, its their money you cant really them how to spend it.

i dont get why people get mad at how others spend their money.. i dont think its anyone's place to complain even if they were handed things down..
Old 12-08-06, 04:49 PM
revhi
Driver

On a brighter note, check these out in correlation to the topic about parallel parking that was posted up a few days ago. [got it from friends from s2ki]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tFhzp3HG08Q

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ljoCliDCMl0

Quick Reply: Oui Pompous Rich Kid