IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pros and cons of trading my 250 in for a 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 10:59 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of trading my 250 in for a 350

I seriously go back and forth with this all the time. And with the December to Remember sale going on, it's even more of an appealing idea.

So, what I currently have is this:

IS250
Smoky Granite Mica
Premium package
18" wheels

I've been very happy with the car. But here's what I'm considering:

IS350
Smoky Granite Mica
Luxury Plus package
Mark Levinson package

What do you think?

I don't want navigation. I don't like the way it looks in the IS, and prefer the look of the non-navigation dash. I also wouldn't use it much. I've been very happy with the stock stereo system, but I've heard good things about the Mark Levinson upgrade. It's not very expensive, so why not? And, after driving my 250 around for 6 months, I've decided that I'd appreciate the memory functions and HID of the Luxury Plus package.

Then there's the extra 100hp. That's something I think I'd appreciate more than before I bought the 250.

So is a trade worth it? Would it be more practical to wait for the 2008's? And would I be able to gain any advantage from the December to Remember sale?
Old 12-09-06, 11:01 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should wait for the IS-F.
Old 12-09-06, 11:05 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cspec
I think you should wait for the IS-F.

If I could afford it, I would. The 350 is still in my price range.
Old 12-09-06, 11:11 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Then yes trade up. I doubt very seriously you'll regret it
Old 12-09-06, 11:17 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
Then yes trade up. I doubt very seriously you'll regret it

Oh, I have no doubt that I'd love the extras of the 350 with those packages. But my concern isn't with the car so much as it's with the monetary issues of trading in a 6-month old car for a more expensive one.

Would you do it?
Old 12-09-06, 11:17 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Oh, I have no doubt that I'd love the extras of the 350 with those packages. But my concern isn't with the car so much as it's with the monetary issues of trading in a 6-month old car for a more expensive one.

Would you do it?
No, it's not really worth it IMO. You're losing too much money.
Old 12-09-06, 11:23 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cspec
No, it's not really worth it IMO. You're losing too much money.

What if I waited until the 2008's are out? Sure, I'd still be losing money, but at least then it wouldn't be as "apparent," if that makes sense. At least then the depreciation would be slightly more balanced. Or maybe I'm not making any sense.
Old 12-09-06, 11:24 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

This is exactly why you should always check mark the "bigger engine" option in lieu of all other options..

Just mash the go pedal and feel that big ear to ear grin and they'll be no more regrets.
Old 12-09-06, 11:32 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by linh811
This is exactly why you should always check mark the "bigger engine" option in lieu of all other options..

Just mash the go pedal and feel that big ear to ear grin and they'll be no more regrets.

At the time, though, I really, really considered whether or not the extra 100hp would mean enough to me to justify the extra money. And I do believe that over these last 6 months, the 250's power has been just about perfect. It's more like, would an extra 100hp be nice? Of course. Do I need it? Probably not. But it's a mix of things... the 100hp, the Luxury Plus package, the Mark Levinson... all of those combined seem to be testing my hind-sight right now.
Old 12-09-06, 11:40 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

At the time, though, I really, really considered whether or not the extra 100hp would mean enough to me to justify the extra money. And I do believe that over these last 6 months, the 250's power has been just about perfect. It's more like, would an extra 100hp be nice? Of course. Do I need it? Probably not. But it's a mix of things... the 100hp, the Luxury Plus package, the Mark Levinson... all of those combined seem to be testing my hind-sight right now.
IMO, there are always cars that come out and improve out there. Unless you really like this car, I'd say just drive this car to the ground, and wait for something new in the market later on that will appeal to you.

Old 12-09-06, 12:14 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

it's a bad idea which is why i decdied to keep my car.. reason

you are paying more money plus depreciation of your current car
you can't get ML w/o navi anyway

and you already had this car for X amount of months or yr or wutever.. and you spent MORE money for essentially the same car w/ just a little more ammenities.
you'll be having the same car for longer so it won't feel the same when you get it.
Old 12-09-06, 12:27 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Would you do it?
lol. i laugh at these questions.

its your money and your car, if you can afford the loss, then by all means go for it, you'll definitely love it. but if your not all that finanically "great" then don't and save your money for something else.. like more mods for the 250
Old 12-09-06, 01:57 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Would you do it?
I've done it just for a different color. I see people do it every day. Make yourself happy. You'll love the 350! If you don't do it now, you'll think about it til you get rid of the car and everytime a 350 passes you on the freeway and you can't keep up, you'll be angry!! Bottom line, if you'll be happier w/the car and if you can afford it, just do it. Some people will, some won't. Post some pics of your new car when you get it!!
Old 12-09-06, 02:35 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

See if you can get a really good deal first. Im sure there are some 350's left over from 2006. My dealer had a couple sitting on the lot. Im sure they will be gone soon if not already taken.

Get a good deal first. then make the decisions. If the deal is right, go for it. Like Soda said, you will not regret the 100hp difference. Not to mention the HID and the AFS that goes along with it.
Old 12-09-06, 03:03 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

dont forget that the insurance will be more expensive for the 350 as well.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of trading my 250 in for a 350