Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Would you mod your IS ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 01:17 PM
RXISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kryolla
Just the Mods in my sig. I dont like to attract too much unwanted attention. If I wanted to mod a car I wouldn't of gotten a lexus. I dont understand why people would put rims, exhaust and lower their ride on a luxury car. Ohh well maybe I am showing my age
I agree.

Another point to consider - if all the mods aren't noted on your insurance policy - you lose them if the car is totalled. When my Tahoe was totalled, I had to go down to the salvage yard and remove all the extras myself, then sell them on eBay.
There was a Navigator on the lot with $8000 in wheels - it had been stolen and totalled and Geico wasn't going to pay a cent for them because they weren't listed in the policy. Ouch!
Old 02-10-07, 03:06 PM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't list anything in the policy i just told them i wanted an extra $5000 coverage for my audio and video equiptment i had in my car. When i totaled my IS300 they covered my car plus the 5000. I now have $10000 extra coverage on my IS350 to cover for the Mods i have on it. I think they charge me around 10-15 dollars a month extra on my policy for having it. That's not much considering if something ever happen.
Old 02-11-07, 06:07 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kryolla
Just the Mods in my sig. I dont like to attract too much unwanted attention. If I wanted to mod a car I wouldn't of gotten a lexus. I dont understand why people would put rims, exhaust and lower their ride on a luxury car. Ohh well maybe I am showing my age

Drew
Yes, I too am an old man who never quite understood why some people go for aftermarket rims on their new Lexus, except perhaps to have a separate set of wheels for winter tires.

Not only do the OEM rims look great because they were designed for the car in the first place, but one ends up spending up to an additional $4,000 for a new set of wheels that really does nothing much for the vehicle except often to make the TPMS inoperable. And then these perfectly good, almost new, OEM rims (with the Lexus logo at the hubs) end up collecting dust and taking up space on the garage floor or storage area for years until somehow they’re thrown out or given away. And I’m not even talking about those who get new tires with their rims, causing additional waste and storage problems, and perhaps speedometer errors if they’ve changed tire sizes.

Now I know they will say the new rims look better and in some cases improve handling. But for all that trouble and expense, I don’t see the overall benefit.

Last edited by Magellan; 02-12-07 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-11-07, 08:40 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Right now, no. But if I ever do come up with some extra money, I do like to upgrade the exhaust system if I can. It's too quiet to be a sports sedan. The G35's got their own unique sound.
Old 02-18-07, 09:08 AM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

never ever will i mod a IS
Old 02-19-07, 08:34 AM
Haiko
Rookie

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I think the relative newness of the car will keep the mods more conservative for a while. I can not think of many brand spankin' new Lexus owners that modify heavily.

That being said, I don't know that I would consider wheels a minor mod since its probably the most expensive modification that most average modders will purchase. Tint is 175-250 bucks on average, wheels / tires are 3k-6k on average so its tough to put those in the same category.
I really don't think modifications and the rationale / usability is fully explained to new owners and as such they only look at pics and say nice, with out understanding that the mod is so much more than just visually aesthetic. If it [the mod] were properly explained then the value proposition could easily be argued and thusly more mods would happen, especially with something as sexy as wheels.

I mod because of the visual and feature rich uniqueness of my car.
Old 02-19-07, 09:22 AM
TurboSam
Driver School Candidate

So far my car is nice stock. I got the sports package and lip spoiler along with tinted windows. Recently I was in Hong Kong and I picked up the Tom's super ram air filter and high pressure radiator cap. The sales person there said there's only 2 lexus IS350 in hk. The car is only available in Japan and people that want it have to pay 95,000 dollars to get one (figures in canadian dollars). anyways those are the mods I have so far. Looking forward in a set of 19 inch wheels for the summer.
Old 04-21-07, 04:35 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

My last 2 cars I dropped way too much money on the sound systems and other BS that just got too much negative attention. Now I realized that I dont need or want the unnecessary attention from the kind law enforcement officials. I will definitely get tint, ISP, eibach pro, tanabe exhaust, intake, a nice classy set of wheels and maybe...just maybe a sub.
Old 04-21-07, 04:37 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Delmiroc
I thought I would create a poll to see how people feel about modifying their new IS. These modification include add new exhaust, intake, suspension, body kits, ect.

rims, tints, satelli radio, any other minor adjustment or changes on the car are NOT consider modifications for this poll.
Just a bit of clarification on the poll, how about the HKS exhaust and GFX kit from Lexus, do they count as stock? I ordered mine with them, and that's about all the mod I'm going to do.
Old 04-21-07, 05:38 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

if i add to the car it will be manley lexus parts and maybe some rims

on my alero i did the cf hood in blue carbon kevlar the air ride header intake and exhost. rims and stereo.
last time i was hit it took 3 months to get the parts to fix the ride sence they are limited made stuff or not made any more
this is why i wont do custome stuff to the is
Old 04-21-07, 05:56 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

several mods are pretty stealth. Intake, suspension and exhaust don't usually grab too much attention unless your exhaust is extremely loud. The eibach kit only drops you an inch which isn't that noticable so even that goes unnoticed to most spectators. The cosmetic items are the mods that will be seen and not felt.
Old 04-21-07, 06:42 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Yes, to some reasonable extent. But to spend $$$, no offense to some ppl I 've met with extensive(I mean expensive) mods, I think is not sensible. But if that makes you happy go 4 it. I enjoy seeing your cars though. I'm drooling again just thinking about your mods.
Old 04-21-07, 07:16 PM
wushuboy
Driver

no expensive mods for me.. carson grill and spoiler.. that's bout it
the other stuff is cheap stuff like changing LEDs
Old 04-21-07, 11:35 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

My IS already has two mods.

Check my mod list .