IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best place to install a switch in the IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 10:54 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this out -> http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

i measured our opening and it seems like these would be a perfect fit. i haven't ordered them yet since i wanted to see if i can find something at a hardware shop, if not i will be ordering them for the rear camera hack so i can input a ps2 to the LCD.
Old 12-12-06, 11:39 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Technique... Looks good. Does it illuminate? Looks bulky but it works!

Got the part #?
Old 12-13-06, 06:13 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
Technique... Looks good. Does it illuminate? Looks bulky but it works!

Got the part #?
It is from this URL posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/

illuminated switch part number 00550-35976
non-illuminated switch part number PT297-89013-sw

I ordered the non-illuminated switch. The url above has pics of the illuminated one.
Old 12-13-06, 06:15 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teejnut
check this out -> http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

i measured our opening and it seems like these would be a perfect fit. i haven't ordered them yet since i wanted to see if i can find something at a hardware shop, if not i will be ordering them for the rear camera hack so i can input a ps2 to the LCD.
Great find! I like that switch better since it doesn't have the fog lamp marking on it. But, from reading the description, it seems that they are saying Toyota/Lexus has not changed their switch size in 10 years... Since the toyota switch I ordered was "almost" a perfect fit, I wonder if the holes where the dead buttons are are a bit smaller... Because the opening itself is a perfect fit, but there are these little tabs on either end that didn't look like they should have been there... Maybe they are cut away if an actual switch (like the HW or rear sunshade) are installed... Which makes me wonder if this switch is the same size as the toyota one I ordered... Hmmm......

Anyway, the only way to find out for sure is to order this switch... If it's a perfect fit, then this looks to be the best option! Great find either way!
Old 12-14-06, 12:06 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Great find! I like that switch better since it doesn't have the fog lamp marking on it. But, from reading the description, it seems that they are saying Toyota/Lexus has not changed their switch size in 10 years... Since the toyota switch I ordered was "almost" a perfect fit, I wonder if the holes where the dead buttons are are a bit smaller... Because the opening itself is a perfect fit, but there are these little tabs on either end that didn't look like they should have been there... Maybe they are cut away if an actual switch (like the HW or rear sunshade) are installed... Which makes me wonder if this switch is the same size as the toyota one I ordered... Hmmm......

Anyway, the only way to find out for sure is to order this switch... If it's a perfect fit, then this looks to be the best option! Great find either way!
i'll go ahead and order the switches and keep everyone posted on the outcome. but yeah i agree this switch looks better. when i was searching i saw the fog light switch but the fog light symbol bothers me a lil bit.
Old 12-23-06, 01:03 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Technique- i got the switch and it looks like i'm having the same problem as you did with the fog light switch. it looks like i have to file down the tabs on the sides of the opening.

the switch definitely looks good and OEM looking, i wonder why those little tabs are there on the side for...
Old 12-23-06, 06:49 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teejnut
Technique- i got the switch and it looks like i'm having the same problem as you did with the fog light switch. it looks like i have to file down the tabs on the sides of the opening.

the switch definitely looks good and OEM looking, i wonder why those little tabs are there on the side for...
So you ordered the Scion switch? Ya, I figured it was the same size...

I have NO idea why lexus has those little tabs there... But the dead panel switches are made to fit it... Very strange... But anyway, if you file them down, the deal panel switch will still lock in place vertically exactly the same, so the tabs are sorta pointless...

Anyway, when you file, take your time, tape up the surrounding dash material, and be patient... And remember, I left it so that the switch was a tight fit... (Not "too" tight, but tight enough)

Good luck! (I wish I had the blank switch and not the fog light... I may swap it out eventually...lol )
Old 12-23-06, 10:19 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
So you ordered the Scion switch? Ya, I figured it was the same size...

I have NO idea why lexus has those little tabs there... But the dead panel switches are made to fit it... Very strange... But anyway, if you file them down, the deal panel switch will still lock in place vertically exactly the same, so the tabs are sorta pointless...

Anyway, when you file, take your time, tape up the surrounding dash material, and be patient... And remember, I left it so that the switch was a tight fit... (Not "too" tight, but tight enough)

Good luck! (I wish I had the blank switch and not the fog light... I may swap it out eventually...lol )
yeah i got the scion switch. thanks for the tips! i'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 12-24-06, 11:27 AM
Matus
Driver School Candidate

Technique, you are my man.

How did you remove those side "sticks"?
see the pic pls: http://www.gerek.sk/jpg/lexus/remove_shifter1.jpg

thanks
Old 12-24-06, 11:56 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Matus
Technique, you are my man.

How did you remove those side "sticks"?
see the pic pls: http://www.gerek.sk/jpg/lexus/remove_shifter1.jpg

thanks
I didn't remove them... There was no need... What are you trying to do that you want to remove them?
Old 12-24-06, 12:43 PM
Matus
Driver School Candidate

it squeaks occasionally, so I want to look inside what can be done.
Old 12-24-06, 12:57 PM
Matus
Driver School Candidate

Technique, I ment those shiny pieces, not whole thing
http://www.gerek.sk/jpg/lexus/89.jpg
Old 12-24-06, 01:27 PM
Amiga
Driver School Candidate

The DIY post for the Nav Hack for DVD playing explains how to get those side trims off with pictures. It recommended inserting 2 credit cards under them and gently prying the trim off. If I remember correctly, there are 2 clips internally and the exit angle is back and up, meaning pull them towards the back windshield. Find that DIY post and have a look at the pictures.
Old 12-24-06, 04:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Matus
Technique, I ment those shiny pieces, not whole thing
http://www.gerek.sk/jpg/lexus/89.jpg
Sorry, in your picture those two pieces were already removed so I didn't understand what you were asking

Anyway, like Amiga says above... Take two credit cards together and slide them in... The Nav Hack DIY shows it... There's also a video of it posted in that thread as well...

I can upload a video for you if you want, but those pieces are pretty easy to remove...
Old 12-25-06, 12:26 AM
Matus
Driver School Candidate

I'll try with credit cards and if I have trouble, I'll ask you for the video
thanks

Quick Reply: Best place to install a switch in the IS