IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rattle in rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 08:19 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattle in rear deck

I'm getting a rattle in the rear deck whenever a play anything with any decent low end extension. Not rap or anything bloated like that, just some good o'l rock and roll that should be tight. Audio controls are flat except for bass being set to +2 or +1. Even dead flat it makes noise though. I can push down on the rear deck and it goes away. Anyone else have this issue or resolve it?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-06, 09:46 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same issue. I am in the works of Dynamat the entire car. Doors, deck, behind rear seat, trunk, & trunk floor.[IMG]
Check out my pictures.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hlight=dynamat
Old 12-10-06, 12:19 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, too. Unfortunately, the tech at the dealer said he couldn't pinpoint the problem, so I guess I'll bring it up again at the next service appointment when I have to get a piece for the moon roof replaced because it was rattling as well.
Old 12-10-06, 01:17 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I have the same issue. I am in the works of Dynamat the entire car. Doors, deck, behind rear seat, trunk, & trunk floor.[IMG]
Check out my pictures.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hlight=dynamat

Awesome job DJ. I don't have the guts to rip open my car yet

If I could find a good shop local I'd love to do that.

Maybe the dealer can do something during the next service.

I'm a littel discouraged. This is my first lexus, and first "luxury" car but the noisiest car I have owned. (not including engine noise from the Mach1, but that was a good thing)
Old 12-10-06, 01:52 PM
ryan126
Driver School Candidate

Guys,
I have the same problem too. Cant seem to figure it out where it's coming from. I've taken it into the dealer 3 times to try to resolve it and they cant figure it out either. Seems like it's more present when the car has been in the sun for a while.
Old 12-10-06, 02:28 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

My findings on this issue is the back deck cover being too close to the rear deck itself - simply change the clearance by adding some insulation between the deck cover and the deck itself solves the issue - at least for me.

This is a common issue in most cars that have rear subs powerful enough to generate the force required to vibrate the deck cover.
Old 12-10-06, 02:41 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shoafb
I'm getting a rattle in the rear deck whenever a play anything with any decent low end extension. Not rap or anything bloated like that, just some good o'l rock and roll that should be tight. Audio controls are flat except for bass being set to +2 or +1. Even dead flat it makes noise though. I can push down on the rear deck and it goes away. Anyone else have this issue or resolve it?

Thanks.
Had this problem on my 2007 ES350. Check http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...=242200&page=2 post #21 for possible fix. In the event this reference does no work the thread is in the ES 350 forum titled Structural Integrity issues etc on page 2. Hope this helps. Let us know if you are able to remedy this annoying problem.
Old 12-10-06, 10:33 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I do not recommend taking your car to the dealer for any rattles. They may car. It may cause you more stress that the rattle. I've been there and regret it.
Old 12-11-06, 06:43 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I do not recommend taking your car to the dealer for any rattles. They may car. It may cause you more stress that the rattle. I've been there and regret it.
I am hoping for a TSB they can follow. The dealer fixed my seat noise this way. I am having them fix the dash rattle next.. then the rear deck.... then maybe by then something will be out of the MT noise.

The dealer seems to be a pretty good one and the noises are getting REALLY annoying. Picture driving down the road, you keep hearing a rattle to the left of the instrument cluster and eventually out of frustration you turn on a CD to drown out the noise.... and you just get another noise instead.

The only way out is to park the car and just sit in it. It is very quite then.
Old 04-18-07, 04:04 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MLevinson
My findings on this issue is the back deck cover being too close to the rear deck itself - simply change the clearance by adding some insulation between the deck cover and the deck itself solves the issue - at least for me.

This is a common issue in most cars that have rear subs powerful enough to generate the force required to vibrate the deck cover.
How did you change the clerance level?