IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying advice? (Toronto)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 04:54 PM
ciparis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice? (Toronto)

I have to give my father-in-law some advice on his Lexus purchase. It'll be an AWD model, probably the IS (but the GS is a possibility as well). I want him to have the stock HID and Nav, but much else would be superfluous. Aftermarket is not an option (this has to be complete when it drives off the lot).

What package do I need to have him look for?

What is a reasonable discount off MSRP for that area?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ciparis; 12-10-06 at 04:58 PM. Reason: make it clear it's a question
Old 12-10-06, 06:05 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I belive that there is only one package that has the nav in Canada for the AWD, and that is Package D. Luxury with nav. It is an 11,800 dollar package. If you want to have more options in terms of packages, you might want to consider buying in the states and then bringing it back to Canada.
Old 12-10-06, 07:46 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Unfortunately Lexusnut13 is correct. I ended upu getting mine with Luxury + Nav. $11800 later...

Currently, it's a pain to buy a car from the states and bring it up. Unless you get someone to trailer it or ship it up.

If you do decide to get a car from the US, remember that there's a 17% Import charge on it. Since the car is made in Japan. 17% Duty + 14% tax thereafter.
Old 12-10-06, 07:55 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I really think that lexus has to re-think the way they sell cars in Canada. I hate the way they package things here. The NAV should be a seperate option like it is in the states.
Old 12-11-06, 05:05 AM
LEXCESS
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying a 250

I would also like to know if anyone has a prefered dealer here. The closest one to me is Don Valley but I don't like dealing with them. Any suggestions on which dealer will negotiate in TO and how much room is there to move on a 250 or 350.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-06, 05:29 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXCESS
I would also like to know if anyone has a prefered dealer here. The closest one to me is Don Valley but I don't like dealing with them. Any suggestions on which dealer will negotiate in TO and how much room is there to move on a 250 or 350.

Thanks in advance.
Can't say they are preferred as it was my first Lexus purchase but I bought from Richmond Hill. I had issue with DV a long time ago when I was looking for a 4Runner so I wouldn't go to them even though they are a bit closer then RH.

Can't say how much room to move but on the base 250awd there is about 3.8K difference between invoice and list.
Old 12-11-06, 06:29 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by totalstu
Can't say they are preferred as it was my first Lexus purchase but I bought from Richmond Hill. I had issue with DV a long time ago when I was looking for a 4Runner so I wouldn't go to them even though they are a bit closer then RH.

Can't say how much room to move but on the base 250awd there is about 3.8K difference between invoice and list.
Would you know the difference between invoice and list for the IS350 Basic Package thats at $49,000? thanks
Old 12-11-06, 06:42 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supershyguy
Would you know the difference between invoice and list for the IS350 Basic Package thats at $49,000? thanks
Unfortunately, I do not.
Old 12-11-06, 07:11 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Richmondhill, and Don Valley are partners, so either one you go to, it is pretty much the same. I went through Don Valley, and I spoke to Wayne Cheung, (not sure if I spelled that right) . He was verry honest in terms of wait times and prices.

I also went to St. Clair and they were the most dishonest in terms of wait times, and also prices. It could just be the sales person you get though.
Old 12-11-06, 08:05 AM
LEXCESS
Driver School Candidate

Good to know.

I will try the sales rep you are talking about.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-06, 08:16 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually Don Valley & Richmond Hill are owned by the same Japanese Owner. I believe he owns like 20 dealerships in the Toronto/GTA area. To be honest, I picked up my Lexus at Don Valley and we also picked up our RX from there. They are horrible... but you can use that against them sometimes.

I curb rashed my Rim on the first day I got it.. so I took it back and because i wasn't too happy with the way they were assisting me.. they replaced it.
Old 12-11-06, 08:41 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a good experience with Scarborough Lexus Toyota. Larry Danziger was my contact there and I was able to negotiate a good price. They were very professional and courteous with me.
Old 12-11-06, 09:07 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

The new IS has poor performance in snow regardless AWD or not. I would not recommend this car for winter use especially Great Toronto Area is covered with snow for 6 months long in a year.

If the budget is cool, try to look into a GS and make sure to get clear-bra because you will see a lot of paint-chipping action on the front hood near grill area because of the rock salt on the road.

Prisewise... never accept first offer, and good luck with your bucks.
Old 12-11-06, 09:19 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I have lived in Toronto my whole life, and I don't remember when the GTA was covered in snow for 6 months. It is Mid December and we have not even seen an inch of snow yet.
Old 12-11-06, 09:22 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by josephdoc
The new IS has poor performance in snow regardless AWD or not. I would not recommend this car for winter use especially Great Toronto Area is covered with snow for 6 months long in a year.
My awd was superb in the snow last year, even on the oem all-seasons.

Quick Reply: Buying advice? (Toronto)