IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Modding Help! What should i do? should i just wait?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06 | 11:49 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Default Modding Help! What should i do? should i just wait?

Ok, so currently i have about 1300 dollars or so saved up for my car. I really want to start the modding process by i don't know if i should just save up for iforged or lexion wheels. I should have hopefully 2500 dollars by january.

Mods i want -
Tein SS- how does this system feel to those of u that have it? is the car really bouncy or comfortable? has the handling improved? of course i know the ride will be sacrificed for handling. if i get this unit i'll be dropped w/ the stock g spiders.

Exhaust- ?? all i see is tanable and lms. borla is in the making. LMS is the only true dual exhaust out but it looks very ugly. i want to wait for more true duals to come out.

Intake- i've done searches and with all these mixed opinions im confused now. I was thinking of getting fujita but now im probably gonna wait for more units to come out.

Rims- If i get rims i'll be completely broke and will have to wait about another 3-4 months before i can get them and when i do get them i won't be able to afford a drop. However the rims i was debating on getting were 19" Iforged Revs or Swifts in brushed aluminum or in a gunmetal finish. Or Lexion Type 105's in black or brushed.

I can get probably tein ss, exhaust and intake and roll like that for a year before i can get rims.I don't know. Plus a lot more companies are going to be releasing their products soon so the prices will start dropping and better products will be out.
Old 12-11-06 | 06:40 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

if looks are your thing, i say get the wheels and just do a set of lowering springs. you can always upgrade to coilovers later. you can always sell the lowering springs when you upgrade and your stock shocks will probably have some wear on them by then. just my opinion...
Old 12-11-06 | 07:25 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

How does your living expense look? If you're putting priority on your car and not your living expense, in my opinion, that's wrong. But if you have your living expense covered and able to save for mods, then I suggest getting the wheels and drop first. Your car is fast as it is. Adding intake and exhaust will not make it much faster. You might as well spend money on looks first, then add all the other mods later. Again, just an opinion.
Old 12-11-06 | 07:35 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
How does your living expense look? If you're putting priority on your car and not your living expense, in my opinion, that's wrong. But if you have your living expense covered and able to save for mods, then I suggest getting the wheels and drop first. Your car is fast as it is. Adding intake and exhaust will not make it much faster. You might as well spend money on looks first, then add all the other mods later. Again, just an opinion.
Old 12-11-06 | 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Your car is fast as it is. Adding intake and exhaust will not make it much faster. You might as well spend money on looks first, then add all the other mods later. Again, just an opinion.
I agree with Flip.

Cosmetic mods are best right now. Your car will stand out from the crowds. It will make your car look "signature."

Performance mods are primitive at best at this time. Wait a little bit for better aftermarket performance items, which will flood the market within a year or two.
Old 12-11-06 | 09:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Is this the same Flip from e46fanatics? Anyways as the other members noted I'd go for wheels first. You are best served to get the biggest mods out of the way first. Since you have a 250 its easy for you to get a nice set of staggered wheels and tires for unde 2k.

Also its a lot easier to save back up for little things (250.00 and 500.00 etc) than it is to spend everything on misc detail mods and then try to save up 2-3k for wheels and suspension. Since the wheels and lowering make the largest impact aesthetically and dynamically that's where I'd focus my attention
Old 12-11-06 | 09:31 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

You don't like the G-Spiders? I did a lot of searching, and imho, the g-spiders are one of the best looks/cost wheel tradeoff.

Having said that, yea, I'd go with the "looks" mods before anything performance related. the cost/hp ratio just isn't good enough.
Old 12-11-06 | 03:37 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

D2- yes i am the lilflip from e46fanatics lol, i barely post anymore on these forums. and i have a 350 not a 250. Where can i get good looking rims for under 2k w/ tires. my brother keeps telling me to get these rims called luffs (bbs lm replicas) but i dont think that would look good on my car, or will it?

The thing is i really like my gspiders, however i know im gonna want to upgrade in the future to something bigger/staggard, with a nice lip in the back.