IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 09:07 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan SS
It doesn't make sense that some MT's are noisey and others aren't. Something is not right somewhere. I bought a 250 6spd. used, and I have no noise at all. It shifts just fine through all gears.
That's exactly what's distrubing about it. I challenged them to reproduce the same noises at 3 different demo models and they failed at each attempt. Someone is dropping the ball either in their assembly plants and it's getting past their QA.

It's simple really... some cars have the problem and some cars don't. If you are one of the unlucky ones they are basically doing nothing to fix your problem.
Old 02-06-07, 09:09 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Lexus is known to have a horrible manual tranny. I test drov the MT IS250 and I did not like it AT ALL. I have been driving MT's all my life. So I bought a IS250 AUTO. If it had a good MT tranny like the TSX then I would of gotten an MT.

I am 100% happy with my Auto IS250. I love the Lexus/toyota brand one of the best brands out there.

What are you getting now??

If you want a car with good MT get a Acura TL/TSX.
'07 335i coupe.... all I can say is that it's the best investment I've made in a long time... and this is coming from someone who works in the investment business (about a depreciating asset).
Old 02-06-07, 11:08 AM
shrka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silverbuli
'07 335i coupe.... all I can say is that it's the best investment I've made in a long time... and this is coming from someone who works in the investment business (about a depreciating asset).
did you get the hardtop convertible?
congrats on the new purchase
Old 02-07-07, 07:20 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by shrka
did you get the hardtop convertible?
congrats on the new purchase
Thanks... no i didn't get the hardtop... I drive too fast for that ;-)
Old 02-07-07, 07:46 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Thanks... no i didn't get the hardtop... I drive too fast for that ;-)
Post some pics of your new ride!

You obviously got a manual right?
Old 02-07-07, 07:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i just bot a brand new 250 6MT and noticed that it somehow "clicks" when i shift from 1st to 2nd, but everything is fine for the rest of the gears.....will tell them to check it out @my 5000 mile oil change......maybe they have problems with their 2nd gear and all the cars are like that?
Old 02-07-07, 10:44 AM
neova
Pole Position

That's exactly what's distrubing about it. I challenged them to reproduce the same noises at 3 different demo models and they failed at each attempt. Someone is dropping the ball either in their assembly plants and it's getting past their QA.

It's simple really... some cars have the problem and some cars don't. If you are one of the unlucky ones they are basically doing nothing to fix your problem.
Just wondering which Lexus Dealer you went to? I've bought two Lexus from DVN and never had problems with them or the cars. I have the 07 250MT as well and did not have the issues you mentioned.

investment wise, i looked at the lease rate for BMW, even with muliple security deposit the rate was still 6%, compared to 3.1% at lexus. Reason why i went with the IS over the 3.

anyways, enjoy your new bimmer!
Old 02-08-07, 06:32 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neova
Just wondering which Lexus Dealer you went to? I've bought two Lexus from DVN and never had problems with them or the cars. I have the 07 250MT as well and did not have the issues you mentioned.

investment wise, i looked at the lease rate for BMW, even with muliple security deposit the rate was still 6%, compared to 3.1% at lexus. Reason why i went with the IS over the 3.

anyways, enjoy your new bimmer!
Well... count your blessings. I don't want to bad-mouth any dealerships but that one you spoke of was not able to fix the problem either. I really lost all confidence in Lexus.

never again...
Old 02-08-07, 09:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,974 Likes on 2,404 Posts

The transmission is a fundamentally crap design. I wouldn't run it on my dog's lawnmower. Sorry MT guys, but the way they did this piece is an insult to good engineering.
Old 02-09-07, 07:19 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Post some pics of your new ride!

You obviously got a manual right?
I will soon ;-)

Yes, manual. It's good to have a proper gearbox again!
Old 02-09-07, 07:25 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The transmission is a fundamentally crap design. I wouldn't run it on my dog's lawnmower. Sorry MT guys, but the way they did this piece is an insult to good engineering.
Yes, and any fixes that they do will be a temporary fix unless they come up with a new design. Of course, if you are 60 years old and think that granny-shifting is the way to go then you may not mind as much.
Old 02-16-07, 06:59 AM
silverbuli
Driver School Candidate

Yes, and any fixes that they do will be a temporary fix unless they come up with a new design. Of course, if you are 60 years old and think that granny-shifting is the way to go then you may not mind as much.
I met someone yesterday who has exactly the same problem. My gosh... I can't believe anyone will buy a Lexus once this news spreads around!

Silver
Old 02-20-07, 12:03 PM
xwhite250
Driver School Candidate

Guess there is no solution to this. I have noticed this issue on my MT 250 after about the first week of driving it!! Today, I took my car for an oil change at 11K and mentioned this problem. The technician suggested changing the tranny!!! So i decided to check out CL and see what people had to say about this and I am bummed that is issue is unresolvable... Seriously considering selling my car now... I have thought about it at least 10 times in the last year I have been driving this car, and most of the time it's because of this rattle.... Oh well... I must say though, I didn't expect this from Lexus. It's unfortunate that they make nice looking luxary cars but all seem to have nagging problems.
Old 02-21-07, 07:36 AM
lexusuckss
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by xwhite250
Guess there is no solution to this. I have noticed this issue on my MT 250 after about the first week of driving it!! Today, I took my car for an oil change at 11K and mentioned this problem. The technician suggested changing the tranny!!! So i decided to check out CL and see what people had to say about this and I am bummed that is issue is unresolvable... Seriously considering selling my car now... I have thought about it at least 10 times in the last year I have been driving this car, and most of the time it's because of this rattle.... Oh well... I must say though, I didn't expect this from Lexus. It's unfortunate that they make nice looking luxary cars but all seem to have nagging problems.
I am so happy to find this forum because i thought I am the only have who is having this problem. Lexus should be very very ashame to have this kind of problem in such expensive car.
Old 02-21-07, 08:44 AM
VutIS250
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem! Maybe with the amount of people in this forum having this problem, do you think its worth it to contact Corporate? Or will this be a waste of time?

Quick Reply: IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem