IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 02:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by fourmost18
Looks like the dealer is quoting me $1,800 for the flywheel. How could they know that it needs a new flywheel, before they have taken anything apart? I may try some local shops, and see if I can get a better price. Hopefully, they may be able to machine the flywheel, instead of replacing it. Even thou the car is new to me, it has 47,000 miles on it. Either the previous driver was really hard on the clutch, or it is a piece of crap... or both.
They're planning to replace the flywheel because it is the primary cause of noise in the entire system. It is NOT a Tacoma clutch. Machining the flywheel is not an option unless you want to take it to the guys who do LUK flywheel rebuilds for Porsches. It needs to be centerless ground, and the bearings in it need to be protected from abrasive dust when the grinding is done. It is not simple and it is not cheap. That's why Lexus will assume you need a new one and just replace it.
Old 01-10-09, 12:59 PM
fourmost18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any luck installing the F-Sport clutch?
Old 01-15-09, 09:50 AM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, I have the SAME PROBLEM as well
guess I see this problem often after i did some research !!

Below are my questions post at some other Lexus owners club:
here's the link to it, hope it will help to the others.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=54421

(Long story, please read through, PS at the Bottom)

Don't know if anyone here w/ a Manual 250 had any FlyWheel or Transmission problem before, I really need some helpping hands right now or they will charge me $ 3000 USD
(for the damage thats I'm pretty sure its not done by me, but it should be under the warrenty), and I only had this car for only a little more than 1 year, thanks so much !!

** Plus, It's NOT a LEASE CAR, I bought this car **

I purchased a 2007 IS 250 manual about 1 year & 3 mon ago, it has 15,000 miles on it,
for the past couple of month, when I shift from lower to higher gear and sometimes downshifting,
there's a wierd metal clicking noise coming out from maybe the transmission.
At first, it only happens once in a long while, but after 2 / 3 month, it happens more often
So I broght my car back into the dealership to have a check up & also for the 15,000 miles service.

During the road test with the technician, he heard the noise and said it should be the transmission,
and he says it's under the warrenty, so they will replaced me a brand new one. (that's really cool)
But after 3 days, the Manager of Service Dept. called and said :
" The transmission is fine, it's the FLYING WHEEL thats busted,
and it's not under warrenty cuz it's from driving TOO aggressively "
Than he told me if I want to file complains, call 1800 25 LEXUS, there's not much they can do.

after that, I did some search on-line for a bit
and also asked some of my fd who are technician them-self or owners of a shop
They're all surprise and all of them said
" It's not easy to break a Manual Transmission or the Flywheel, it should last ".

Yeah, that's what I remember too, since I used to owned 4 StickShift Cars before too,
so, its not that I can't drive a stick and broke my own flywheel or transmission !

And I barely drive my car, most likely ONLY School & Home, thats about 50 miles round trip.
plus my School is in Hollywood, ALWAYS TRAFFIC, how can I go crazy on the car
(1st or 2nd gear all the way..haha),

Plus by adding up the distance from home to school / school to home = about 50 miles (both way)
5 days a week (sometimes have classes at night, so need to go twice a day + some weekends), thats about Avg. 25 school days in a month

So, 50 miles / day (only count 1 round trip) x 25 days/month x 9 month of school
that's the Total of 11,250 miles (not including when I need to go 2 times a day and that happens quite often)
and my car only have 15,000 miles on it now.

Sorry, enough of the complainings, here are the questions:

1. Is the Fly Wheel that easy to break down and how ?

2. What about their Transmission ?

3. If driving too aggressively, would it damage the transmission as well ? which first ?

3. Is the Transmission in the IS 250 using the same trans with 1 of the Toyota's RWD Truck ?

4. Is the Fly Wheel under warrenty ? (In the manual says it is but the Manager told me it's me causing this, so it's not)

5. What I need to prepare when I file complain to LEXUS USA FACTORY ?

PS:

If showing them my class schedual hours for the past 9~10 month (Always in Traffic Hour) & my plane tickets (since I've been flying out of country 7 times for the past 1.5 year, adds up about total of 2~3 month not in the US), I know it doesn't prooved that my driving behavior, but does showing all these help ??
Old 01-15-09, 10:17 AM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dan SS
It doesn't make sense that some MT's are noisey and others aren't. Something is not right somewhere. I bought a 250 6spd. used, and I have no noise at all. It shifts just fine through all gears.
just wondering, did the flywheel or transmission problem get to u now ?

the sound its very noticeable, not u have to listen carefully
Old 01-15-09, 10:20 AM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neova
Just wondering which Lexus Dealer you went to? I've bought two Lexus from DVN and never had problems with them or the cars. I have the 07 250MT as well and did not have the issues you mentioned.

investment wise, i looked at the lease rate for BMW, even with muliple security deposit the rate was still 6%, compared to 3.1% at lexus. Reason why i went with the IS over the 3.

anyways, enjoy your new bimmer!
Neova...

Humm, u know that u have or using the same name with the Service Dept. Manager

from Longo Lexus
Old 01-15-09, 10:25 AM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xwhite250
VutIS250, I will be more than happy and cooperative if we can get a high number to write a letter and contact corporate...

IS250 M owners... please co-sign this thread if you are willing to participate in contacting corporate regarding this issue!!!

If we get enough people, I can write a letter with everyones help and hopefully something can happen.
count me in
Old 01-15-09, 10:52 AM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Im really GLAD that I found this site as well

Thought I was just an unlucky one, guess I was wrong

I even found a member/owner who bought his car at the same dealership

Just hope the best for all the other members that had the same issue
Old 01-15-09, 02:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

OEM Supra flywheels failed this way in about 40k miles or so. The IS250 flywheel looks very similar to the Supra flywheel in design. The springs in it are intended to make it quieter, but when the springs break (and they always do), it gets REALLY noisy. I thought the pickup next to me had a failing muffler when the flywheel in my Supra went bad.

It's really unfortunate the price is astronomical for the flywheel from Lexus. I'd be calling up Fidanza about a custom unit if it were my problem.
Old 01-15-09, 03:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tony88tsai
During the road test with the technician, he heard the noise and said it should be the transmission,
and he says it's under the warrenty, so they will replaced me a brand new one. (that's really cool)
But after 3 days, the Manager of Service Dept. called and said :
" The transmission is fine, it's the FLYING WHEEL thats busted,
and it's not under warrenty cuz it's from driving TOO aggressively "
Than he told me if I want to file complains, call 1800 25 LEXUS, there's not much they can do.
call corporate office and complain......I am pretty sure they will take care of that for you.....

good luck and let us know the outcome....
Old 01-15-09, 03:58 PM
tony88tsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OEM Supra flywheels failed this way in about 40k miles or so. The IS250 flywheel looks very similar to the Supra flywheel in design. The springs in it are intended to make it quieter, but when the springs break (and they always do), it gets REALLY noisy. I thought the pickup next to me had a failing muffler when the flywheel in my Supra went bad.

It's really unfortunate the price is astronomical for the flywheel from Lexus. I'd be calling up Fidanza about a custom unit if it were my problem.
I heard from a few ppl saying that the transmission and the flywheel

its either using X-runner Tranny or Supra

is it really true ??
Old 01-15-09, 06:18 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it really true ??
It's definitely NOT the supra transmission. It is most likely from the Xrunner though. If this problem happens enough, maybe we can get them to make a lightweight(or lighter than stock) flywheel/clutch .

I don't have it though.
Old 01-15-09, 06:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

is it really true ??
No, it's not true. Earlier in this thread you'll see it's the RA-62, a modified version of the Tacoma's manual transmission.
Old 01-20-09, 05:02 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

i have 06 IS250 MT also with 24000 miles
and here is my story
i start noticing my gears slipping around oct. 2008 specially 2nd 3rd because i only drive maybe 4 miles locally at the most a day
so i called santa monica lexus to ask if replacing clutch was under warranty and they were very rude saying it's wear and tare item and they hung up on me. so few days passed and gear slipping are getting worst every gear so i called Lexus Corp. for some help and they told me to get it check at any dealer and they'll follow up on it.
so dec 4th i made appointment at glendale lexus and show the service advisor wat's going on with everything including TSIB brake dust problem also.
few days pass got a call from Lexus Corp. telling me it's wear and tare item and it might be my driving habit so they won't cover under warranty but they have "Lexus' goodwill offer to cover 25% of the repair.
so i got mad and frostrated, picked up my car and never spoke with them.
now my car is just sitting at home, can't drive it until i solve this problem because it's not catching gear at all.
any help here??
Old 01-20-09, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sounds like you need a new clutch.
Old 01-20-09, 05:18 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

tech said i need new clutch kit with new fly wheel.
already when i have only 24k miles??

Quick Reply: IS250 transmission/clutch/engine problem