IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 01:30 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
If You Leave The Car On And Is In Parking It Will Turn Off After A While. That Happen To Me When I Took My Car For Carwash
Please define "a while". 2 minutes? 20 minutes?
And, are you sure a wash attendent didn't turn it off?
Old 12-12-06, 02:48 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Axvel
I'm not blaming anyone I like all cars including bmw and lexus, I had a 1995 M3 before this one which was equiped with push start and remote start, although i had to leave it on parking brake since it was a 5 spd, i could start the car from the remote and get in and the second any pedal was depressed the car would shut off. *(Aftermarket system) I found the same in my friends new M5. I just expected the same from Lexus (I DO NOT WISH TO BLAME ANYONE) i was hoping that it would be in the settings or dealer can do something about that thats all.

No I think a lot of us agree that there is a better implementation out there than the one Lexus chose.

Fortunately if no one ever tries to steal your car or you do not habit leaving your car running unattended, this minor difference will go pretty much unnoticed to you. I can't say that I would change my habits if this BMW implementation were made available to me.
Old 12-12-06, 03:11 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

A key is a key. If you were to go outside and warm up a car with a regular key someone could easily steal the car. The smart key is not advertised as a safety/theft deterrent. Like Javier said, if the key dies or somehow gets thrown out the window while on the highway, you car would turn off and you'd be SOL.
Old 12-12-06, 04:44 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, i didn't know this. I thought our system worked like the M5's. Too bad, i like how they have it setup on theirs.
Old 12-12-06, 06:30 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I go for the Lexus method. Just because next time some fool is away from his car and it is "ON". I'll be there to jack it....
Old 12-12-06, 07:15 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Axvel
I'm not blaming anyone I like all cars including bmw and lexus, I had a 1995 M3 before this one which was equiped with push start and remote start, although i had to leave it on parking brake since it was a 5 spd, i could start the car from the remote and get in and the second any pedal was depressed the car would shut off. *(Aftermarket system) I found the same in my friends new M5. I just expected the same from Lexus (I DO NOT WISH TO BLAME ANYONE) i was hoping that it would be in the settings or dealer can do something about that thats all.

I just checked my ES350 to see if what you posted applied to it, and it sure does, just drove a mile and a half roundtrip with no key FOB in the car, put it in the house after starting the car all it did was have an asterisk flashing along with no key detected.

I did a thread on ES350 about having a passenger with the extra FOB and driver exiting without locking the car door being a potential risk since someone could jump in and drive off as long as any one FOB held by a passenger is somewhere in the car, and now this seems as strange.
Old 12-12-06, 07:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I just checked my ES350 to see if what you posted applied to it, and it sure does, just drove a mile and a half roundtrip with no key FOB in the car, put it in the house after starting the car all it did was have an asterisk flashing along with no key detected.

I did a thread on ES350 about having a passenger with the extra FOB and driver exiting without locking the car door being a potential risk since someone could jump in and drive off as long as any one FOB held by a passenger is somewhere in the car, and now this seems as strange.
If you tried to lock the door with a passenger inside the car with a key FOB in his pocket (LOL LOL), you wouldn't be able to lock your door. If you leave your vehicle unlocked, you chances of theft rise. If you leave a key an unlocked car, even higher.
Old 12-12-06, 08:25 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
If you tried to lock the door with a passenger inside the car with a key FOB in his pocket (LOL LOL), you wouldn't be able to lock your door. If you leave your vehicle unlocked, you chances of theft rise. If you leave a key an unlocked car, even higher.

Yes you can lock the door with another Key FOB inside the car, you simply use the key FOB itself to perform the locking function, not the door handle button.

I was not talking about leaving another key in the car, I was referring to a scenario like this: Husband and wife each have a key FOB, or man and his teen son or daughter each do.
Old 12-12-06, 10:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Yes you can lock the door with another Key FOB inside the car, you simply use the key FOB itself to perform the locking function, not the door handle button.

I was not talking about leaving another key in the car, I was referring to a scenario like this: Husband and wife each have a key FOB, or man and his teen son or daughter each do.
Sure; I am aware you can lock a key within the car.

This is what you said "....having a passenger with the extra FOB and driver exiting without locking the car door being a potential risk since someone could jump in and drive off as long as any one FOB held by a passenger is somewhere in the car, and now this seems as strange." So I guess I have no idea what you are referring to as strange?

Basically it's not a real problem. The IS system is not perfect and can sometimes get confusing at first but later you'll learn it is highly functional, very reliable, secure, and more than adequate for your day to day needs. Nothing strange about it.

I wish it had the similar to BMW feature but since I never leave my car running unattended, it's a moot point for me.
Old 12-13-06, 05:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I think the implementation of the smart key on the IS is awesome. Let's face it, it is not designed to be a theft deterrent device. If you leave your car running, then get out of the car with fob in pocket and somebody steals your car, that's your own fault, not Lexus'. BTW, in my car, if I get out of it while it's running and take the fob with me it yells back at me "Hay, Idiot! You left me running and you took the key with you!" Actually, it just beeps until you return with the key. A great feature, indeed.
Old 12-13-06, 06:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Sure; I am aware you can lock a key within the car.

I didn't say it was a problem. I simply pointed out that some may consider the need to be sure and lock the car when exiting, e.g., if you are leaving passengers in it while running a quick errand if any one passenger has a key FOB.
Old 12-13-06, 08:14 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think the implementation of the smart key on the IS is awesome. Let's face it, it is not designed to be a theft deterrent device.
It ought to be. It's not like it requires an expensive piece of hardware to implement the feature as BMW did -- just a couple lines of code in the software.

Making a car harder to steal is better for everyone: remember that your insurance premiums are based in part on the loss history for the particular make and model you drive.
Old 12-13-06, 09:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Which would you prefer - car jacker pulls you out of car at gunpoint, then jumps in and the car dies right in front of you, or car jacker pulls you out of the car and drives away only for the car to be disabled for next start?

Sorry, I get the idea of having the engine die and at first glance it sounds like a good idea, but if you push the envelope just a little, you can see why they might have designed it the way they did.
Old 12-13-06, 09:31 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Which would you prefer - car jacker pulls you out of car at gunpoint, then jumps in and the car dies right in front of you, or car jacker pulls you out of the car and drives away only for the car to be disabled for next start?
Here's the first practical post in this thread. No car is worth risking your life for.
Very good point made here.
Old 12-13-06, 09:32 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Sorry, I get the idea of having the engine die and at first glance it sounds like a good idea, but if you push the envelope just a little, you can see why they might have designed it the way they did.
My reason for mentioning it is people accustomed to key required ignition in the past may have stopped at an ATM or grocery, turned off the car leaving passengers sitting in it while driver ran a quick errand......remaining passengers--- one of which may have had an extra key but nobody could just jump in with passengers left in car, start it immediately and drive away with them in there as could be done now as long as any one passenger has an extra key FOB.

It is something to be aware of, that you must lock your passengers in the car if they are staying behind for any errand if one of them has also has a FOB.

Quick Reply: Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!