IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 08:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Which would you prefer - car jacker pulls you out of car at gunpoint, then jumps in and the car dies right in front of you, or car jacker pulls you out of the car and drives away only for the car to be disabled for next start?

Sorry, I get the idea of having the engine die and at first glance it sounds like a good idea, but if you push the envelope just a little, you can see why they might have designed it the way they did.
Good point, didn't think of that. I would say if you are near the car within range while the jacker is trying to drive away with your car, your car should NOT cut off.

But if you were jacked and you manage to put some distance between yourself and the car (out of range) if the car was shifted into gear after and didn't detect key, car disables. If it hears key when shifted as in you are outside the door sitting on the ground, let it go.
Old 12-13-06, 08:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
My reason for mentioning it is people accustomed to key required ignition in the past may have stopped at an ATM or grocery, turned off the car leaving passengers sitting in it while driver ran a quick errand......remaining passengers--- one of which may have had an extra key but nobody could just jump in with passengers left in car, start it immediately and drive away with them in there as could be done now as long as any one passenger has an extra key FOB.

It is something to be aware of, that you must lock your passengers in the car if they are staying behind for any errand if one of them has also has a FOB.
I get your point. Presumably only adults will carry a FOB, if driver leaves the vehicle, remaining passenger(s) should secure the vehicle by locking the doors, whether they have a FOB or not. Honestly, I think it's that simple. To me there's no difference between a stranger jumping in the car to rob the passengers or jumping in the car to steal the car.
Old 12-13-06, 08:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Originally Posted by kensteele
If you tried to lock the door with a passenger inside the car with a key FOB in his pocket (LOL LOL), you wouldn't be able to lock your door. If you leave your vehicle unlocked, you chances of theft rise. If you leave a key an unlocked car, even higher.

I didn't say it was a problem. I simply pointed out that some may consider the need to be sure and lock the car when exiting, e.g., if you are leaving passengers in it while running a quick errand if any one passenger has a key FOB.
way back in june 06. the entire thread is pretty interesting, too.
Old 12-15-06, 06:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I get your point. Presumably only adults will carry a FOB, if driver leaves the vehicle, remaining passenger(s) should secure the vehicle by locking the doors, whether they have a FOB or not. Honestly, I think it's that simple. To me there's no difference between a stranger jumping in the car to rob the passengers or jumping in the car to steal the car.

It is something to be aware of, in old days with key required you could exit the car without worrying and leave windows down for air for remaining passengers even if one had an extra key, very difficult for anyone to get in and start and drive off.

Also, don't know if a trend or not, but I see young families more and more with either Mom or Dad in backseat adjacent to infants and toddlers, who may remain in the car with the kid while driver runs a quick errand.
Old 12-15-06, 12:35 PM
Axvel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Which would you prefer - car jacker pulls you out of car at gunpoint, then jumps in and the car dies right in front of you, or car jacker pulls you out of the car and drives away only for the car to be disabled for next start?

Sorry, I get the idea of having the engine die and at first glance it sounds like a good idea, but if you push the envelope just a little, you can see why they might have designed it the way they did.

How many times were you pulled out of the car? And how many times someone drove off with a running car, Percentages are much higher for the running car.
Old 12-15-06, 03:31 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

Originally Posted by CHAPIN33
If You Leave The Car On And Is In Parking It Will Turn Off After A While. That Happen To Me When I Took My Car For Carwash
This is not ture. within the first two months of getting my car I did something i was pissed about. I was in a rush and got out of my car with my keys and ran into the store. About 30 min later I came out to hear my car running. I tottaly forgot to turn my car off. I was like WOW i am a idiot. It is hard to think you have the keys going into the store the car should be off.

I am sure if you wait long enough the car will turn its self off. But i guess it depends how much gas you have in you tank.
Old 12-15-06, 04:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Too me it seems like such a simple solution. The after market has such solutions for decades. If you leave your car on and take your FOB with you the car should remain on. If it was in park and the FOB is out of range and an attempt was made to put it into gear, it should shut off. Just like after market remote start systems. If the a car jacker throws you out of the car, puts the car into gear and drives off with you holding the FOB, they will be allowed to do so since at the moment the car was put into gear the FOB was in range. As the car jacker drives away and out of range of the FOB, it will remain on until he stops, and/or puts the car into park. Once that occurs the car should die and no longer restart. Just like how anti car jacking after market devices work.

This covers all bases. Your life will not be in danger if a car jacker jacks you since they will be allowed to put distance between the two of you. If you run into a store with the engine on, nobody will be able to drive off with your car since the FOB is out of range and the engine will shut down once moved out of park. If you are driving, get mad and throw your FOB out the window the car will remain on and not shut down until you come to a stop and put the car in park. I really don't see what the OEM's can't implement simple solutions that the after market had for decades.
Old 12-15-06, 05:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Axvel
How many times were you pulled out of the car? And how many times someone drove off with a running car, Percentages are much higher for the running car.
True but in the land of "sue the deep pocket," I would be very concerned about someone filing a wrongful death suit against me as a manufacturer if I made it possible for a car jacker to kill an owner because the car shut down while I was nearby. I doubt any insurance company will sue a manufacturer because they paid a claim for a stolen car. They'll just jack up the insurance rates for that particular model.

And even if the lawsuit is frivolous and thrown out, you still have to prepare to defend yourself and show up in court. It's an expense that's easier to design out of the product with a technical control.
Old 12-15-06, 06:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Too me it seems like such a simple solution. The after market has such solutions for decades. If you leave your car on and take your FOB with you the car should remain on. If it was in park and the FOB is out of range and an attempt was made to put it into gear, it should shut off. Just like after market remote start systems. If the a car jacker throws you out of the car, puts the car into gear and drives off with you holding the FOB, they will be allowed to do so since at the moment the car was put into gear the FOB was in range. As the car jacker drives away and out of range of the FOB, it will remain on until he stops, and/or puts the car into park. Once that occurs the car should die and no longer restart. Just like how anti car jacking after market devices work.

This covers all bases. Your life will not be in danger if a car jacker jacks you since they will be allowed to put distance between the two of you. If you run into a store with the engine on, nobody will be able to drive off with your car since the FOB is out of range and the engine will shut down once moved out of park. If you are driving, get mad and throw your FOB out the window the car will remain on and not shut down until you come to a stop and put the car in park. I really don't see what the OEM's can't implement simple solutions that the after market had for decades.
This would be the most ideal solution.
Old 12-16-06, 04:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sound reasoning, and is the reason I believe the author started this thread, he noticed a difference between approach to keyless ignition among auto-makers.
Old 12-16-06, 09:09 AM
Axvel
Driver

, ,

Thats exactly what i wanted. I hope i can hack into that to do something or ovverride the system, anyone want to help out with the research?
Or atleast point into the direction where to start?
Old 12-16-06, 10:18 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Think about it if the IS turn off itself when your Smart key is not in the car, what happen if you just wanna to open a door for your GF? Or open the trunk? Anyway this is reason why I can't install timer for the IS too...
Old 08-19-07, 12:05 PM
Lex21
Driver School Candidate

If you have the keyfob on you and are near your car, can anyone nearby unlock and open any of the doors just by you being in proximity?
Old 08-19-07, 12:13 PM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex21
If you have the keyfob on you and are near your car, can anyone nearby unlock and open any of the doors just by you being in proximity?
The person with the fob has to open the door. Once that first door is opened, there are two ways you can program it, open just that door, or all doors.
Old 08-19-07, 12:35 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Originally Posted by Axvel
Yesterday i wanted to see if i start the car and get out of the car, it will say the key is NOT detected!!!! But my friends sat down in car and drove off like nothing happend?!?!?!? Any suggestions?

My friend has a 2005 M5 and he has the same thing with the push start, he can leave the car on with the radio and engine running, the car will aslo say the key is not detected, but when i sit down and put it into gear or press gas it dies since there is no key detected. I thought we get the same in lexus?!?!

Any info on this?
To conform to the recent pop culture Lexus purposely let this feature in to allow the driver to ghost ride the whip.

Quick Reply: Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!