IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 06:10 PM
Axvel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!

Yesterday i wanted to see if i start the car and get out of the car, it will say the key is NOT detected!!!! But my friends sat down in car and drove off like nothing happend?!?!?!? Any suggestions?

My friend has a 2005 M5 and he has the same thing with the push start, he can leave the car on with the radio and engine running, the car will aslo say the key is not detected, but when i sit down and put it into gear or press gas it dies since there is no key detected. I thought we get the same in lexus?!?!

Any info on this?
Old 12-11-06, 06:36 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The system will not turn the car off if it doesn't detect the key. If you think about it, that's actually quite dangerous. Say the battery inside the fob dies (which will happen eventually) - how would you like to be driving when that happens? I know I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want that happening to anyone driving next to me either!

Javier
Old 12-11-06, 07:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the feeling the m5 will not just cut off if someone throws the key out the window on the freeway. he said the car was in park and the gear was then shifted, maybe that's the answer.

thinking about it briefly, actually that's quite clever. i guess now people can warm up their cars in the winter by idling in the driveway. lexus is probably not going to do this because in most states, it is unlawful to leave an unattended car engine running.
Old 12-11-06, 07:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is good reason for the car to keep running if you get out. If it is cold, or hot, outside and you have your family with you and you stop to run into the Quickie Mart, or get gas you don't want the car to shut off as you walk away from it. The driver has the responsibility to treat the Smart Key system the same as the old style blade key; it's just a different format.
Old 12-11-06, 07:06 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
There is good illegal and unsafe reason for the car to keep running if you get out. If it is cold, or hot, outside and you have your family with you and you stop to run into the Quickie Mart, or get gas you don't want the car to shut off......
fixed

this is lexus = safety
Old 12-11-06, 07:06 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Axvel
Yesterday i wanted to see if i start the car and get out of the car, it will say the key is NOT detected!!!! But my friends sat down in car and drove off like nothing happend?!?!?!? Any suggestions?

My friend has a 2005 M5 and he has the same thing with the push start, he can leave the car on with the radio and engine running, the car will aslo say the key is not detected, but when i sit down and put it into gear or press gas it dies since there is no key detected. I thought we get the same in lexus?!?!

Any info on this?
Your explanation is not clear
Old 12-11-06, 07:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
fixed

this is lexus = safety
Actually, typical Lexus design would shut the car down, open the doors and eject the people, shut the doors, and lock itself. Being able to walk away with key in pocket and not having the car do anything but just keep on running is quite un-Lexus.
Old 12-11-06, 08:04 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, typical Lexus design would shut the car down, open the doors and eject the people, shut the doors, and lock itself. Being able to walk away with key in pocket and not having the car do anything but just keep on running is quite un-Lexus.
haha... someone's watching too many bond movies
Old 12-11-06, 08:44 PM
Austin99
Driver School Candidate

There is good reason for the car to keep running if you get out. If it is cold, or hot, outside and you have your family with you and you stop to run into the Quickie Mart, or get gas you don't want the car to shut off as you walk away from it. The driver has the responsibility to treat the Smart Key system the same as the old style blade key; it's just a different format.
Agree but if someone tries to drive off with the key not detected it would be nice if the car would turn off, like the BMW.
Old 12-11-06, 08:50 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Add me to the list of people that think the engine should die if you try to shift the car out of park with the key out-of-range. (Even though it means you would have to hold the key next to the start button to shift out of park if the key fob battery were dead)
Old 12-12-06, 10:19 AM
Axvel
Driver

The reson why is because I go to the mountains alot and i leave the car parked, i love snow but i love to get in and warm up, when i leave my car running in Park mode with hand brake (leg brake) I expect someone who gets in not to drive off since the key is not detected, BMW has it so i dont think that lexus decided have more safety than bmw, I obviously dont think anyone will throw the key out of the window on the freeway. That is why I asked.

Plus i work on my other car alot in front of my house and always turn on the music in the lexus but dont want the battery to die and i keep it running, I honestly don't want somebody to drive off while i'm under the car-----the other car i'm working on.
Old 12-12-06, 11:01 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by sc hybrid
#1 shouldnt be filling gas wheile car is running, FIRE possible.

#2 you've got to be kidding me on the Quickie Mart story, theres no way in HELL, i get out of ANY car and run into a store, Quickie Mart, etc.. and leave my car running, ESPECIALLY MY LEXUS, $40K ,dont tink toe !!!!!
umm..he said when you're with your "family" and run into the quickie mart...so the family would be in the car while he's out.

anyhow...i would assume the car should turn off if the key is out of range and someone tries to take it out of park...that only make sense to do it that way....design flaw me thinks
Old 12-12-06, 11:28 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of us may like the BMW method better, but just because the smart key system is not like that found in the BMW or designed around what you assume doesn't mean it's a design flaw - it's just different. If I left my car unattended while running and someone stole it, I wouldn't be blaming Lexus for their 'design flaw'...

Javier
Old 12-12-06, 11:34 AM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

If You Leave The Car On And Is In Parking It Will Turn Off After A While. That Happen To Me When I Took My Car For Carwash
Old 12-12-06, 11:45 AM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Some of us may like the BMW method better, but just because the smart key system is not like that found in the BMW or designed around what you assume doesn't mean it's a design flaw - it's just different. If I left my car unattended while running and someone stole it, I wouldn't be blaming Lexus for their 'design flaw'...

Javier
I'm not blaming anyone I like all cars including bmw and lexus, I had a 1995 M3 before this one which was equiped with push start and remote start, although i had to leave it on parking brake since it was a 5 spd, i could start the car from the remote and get in and the second any pedal was depressed the car would shut off. *(Aftermarket system) I found the same in my friends new M5. I just expected the same from Lexus (I DO NOT WISH TO BLAME ANYONE) i was hoping that it would be in the settings or dealer can do something about that thats all.

Quick Reply: Help me out here, Key is not detected but the car drives OFF!