Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Better Link with more info:

http://www.diceelectronics.com/hd_integration.htm
Old 01-27-07, 05:59 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
HD radio supports multicasting several music streams per station, so depending on what market you live in, you may find some genres that aren't available on analog FM radio. Nothing like the variety you'll find on satellite radio, obviously, but some people don't listen to enough radio to justify spending the $12.95 a month.
I just learned something new. How many of these stations are in major metropolitan areas?

To paraphrase Howard Stern, "there are a lot of cheap b**rds that don't want to pay to hear (him on) satellite radio." So maybe there will be a market for HD.
Old 01-27-07, 06:16 PM
ISblack350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has HD and it does sound pretty good but after some time you do not notice. Unless you ONLY listen to classical music or jazz and don't mind commercials every 8 minutes - go for it! Also, Sirius (or XM) is the same no matter where you are in the country. Once you leave a metropolitan area, you lose HD.
Satellite (or look out for IP radio - check out Pandora.com) is the wave of the future................
Old 01-28-07, 09:49 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I just learned something new. How many of these stations are in major metropolitan areas?

To paraphrase Howard Stern, "there are a lot of cheap b**rds that don't want to pay to hear (him on) satellite radio." So maybe there will be a market for HD.
I wouldn't pay to hear him either, but I have XM because I can't stand commercials, and the radio stations suck where I live.

I personally wouldn't bother with HD radio. Between my XM, CDs, and ipod...I have no desire to listen to regular radio.
Old 01-28-07, 01:08 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viettho
to answer your question. It's because it's no monthly fee or no subscription fee, and it's "Crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion"
That may be the fact, but for most people that will purchase a car like a Lexus (especially something that has a premium sound system like ML) I doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference (again, I'm referring to the average Joe car buyer, not a true audiophile or CL'er ). If you could hear that much of a difference between regular FM and HD radio and don't mind dropping a couple hundred dollars to get a receiver, then that's your prerogative. Although it's not offered as an option on a Lexus yet, even if it was when I was buying my car, I still would have gone with satellite radio. For me, it's more about the programming and not the sound quality. Heck, I was happy with the non-ML sound of FM radio. I just went with ML because the salesperson threw it in to close the deal.
Old 01-28-07, 05:01 PM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For people who listen to alot of talk radio or sporting events, HD is a god-send.

I listen to local Cleveland talk (WTAM 1100 AM) on my way home from work, and I listen alot to the play by play for our sports teams (since our radio anouncers are all better than their local TV counterparts). WTAM is also the flagship station for all three of our teams (the Cavs, the Browns, and the Indians.) They have been advertising lately that they now broadcast in HD. Right now, I just have old fashioned AM/FM/CD. But if I could hear all that in clear FM-like quality, I would love it.

Last edited by fastball; 01-28-07 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 06:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Well, Clear Channel, the biggest owner of radio stations in the land, has started a big push to add a second stream to most of their stations. Check out this web page to see what they are doing in your area: http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/Pr...ReleaseID=1502