Center Console Aux Jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 02:59 PM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Aux Jack

Hey Guys,

Anyone know how it comes out or how to take apart the center console? I want to re-run the aux jack or maybe drill a hole in the console so i can plug it in and run it from there without any wires showing. Pics would help if you know how to take the center console apart.

Thanks
Old 12-12-06, 04:28 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

i was also thinking about doing this but i decided against it. Instead, i purchased a VAIS unit which also has an aux port so you can run it wherever you want without messing up your center console.
Old 12-12-06, 07:35 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my Sirius receiver/display where the cupholder is. I followed the Nav Hack thread when removing the gear shift console. You can search for that thread and it will explain step by step. I believe pics are available. It's pretty simple.

Anyway, after removing my gear **** and gear shift console, I was able to drill a hole between the center (elbow) compartment and under the wood console. I was able to fish the wires from the center compartment where the aux and 12V are through the hole and under the cupholder. After that, its straight forward. You can't see any wires. BTW the cupholder can be detached from the wood console by unscrewing four small screws.

I'm going to customize it by removing the cupholder and install the display so I can position it any which way I want. Right now, it's facing up and I can't see the display to well unless I lean forward and look down. This should be a simple mod. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-12-06, 08:20 PM
jasonviper
Pole Position

Can someone post detailed pics of the console? I know the Acura TSX has a two compartment console which allows the AUX cable to pass through the bottom to the top part of the console which slides open so I think that console was really made for a MP3 player.
Old 12-13-06, 03:49 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Flipsonic, could you take a photo of your install? I'm getting ready to drill my center console to run my iPod unit cables through.

BTW, to totally take out the center console you need to pop the back ashtray in the center, take out 2 bolts and then pop the gear shift console and take out 2 bolts and then remove the console cover according to the directions I downloaded from the Lexus tech website.

Tried to do it the other day, it was really rough for me to pop the rear ashtray, ended up breaking part of the plastic but its not noticeable. Then I found out that you need a lower profile socket to get at the bolts there since the access is tight so I put it back together for another day.
Old 12-13-06, 07:03 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Yes, I'm redoing the display mount this weekend. I'll take pics.
Old 12-13-06, 09:31 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

hey guys, thank for the info i will look into that however I have another problem. Currently I have the power connected to the cigarette lighter below the dash and using the aux cable for the input but I have a lot of engine noise. Anyone know the cause? I am thinking that the cable i am using for the aux input is not very good or that the cigarette lighters are not fully grounded. Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-06, 09:42 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Mine isn't bad. I have it connected to the one in the elbow compartment. But I do hear the noise when my Sirius if off and the car radio is on at a high volume setting. When listening to music, I could barely hear the noise. Then again, my hearing is probably less sensitive than normal. I have the same setup in my Mercedes and the noise is more noticeable.

Get an aux cable with noise canceller. If that doesn't work, then it's probably the cigarette lighter.
Old 12-13-06, 09:45 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lechuck4lf
Currently I have the power connected to the cigarette lighter below the dash and using the aux cable for the input but I have a lot of engine noise. Anyone know the cause? I am thinking that the cable i am using for the aux input is not very good or that the cigarette lighters are not fully grounded. Any thoughts?
There is a tremendous wealth of information on topics like this for people who take the time to search. A search on "ipod engine noise" is just one query that would bear fruit. What you need is a ground loop isolator.
Old 12-14-06, 07:55 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

For those of you who would like to know more about engine noise, go to the link below. And yes, you may purchase a ground loop isolator at Radio Shack.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/
Old 12-15-06, 07:49 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Flipsonic, could you take a photo of your install? I'm getting ready to drill my center console to run my iPod unit cables through.

BTW, to totally take out the center console you need to pop the back ashtray in the center, take out 2 bolts and then pop the gear shift console and take out 2 bolts and then remove the console cover according to the directions I downloaded from the Lexus tech website.

Tried to do it the other day, it was really rough for me to pop the rear ashtray, ended up breaking part of the plastic but its not noticeable. Then I found out that you need a lower profile socket to get at the bolts there since the access is tight so I put it back together for another day.
CoasterG - I decided to redo my installation last night since I was bored. I installed my Sirius display where the ashtray is. No wires to be seen anywhere. And best of all, I can move it again if I want to. Again, follow the Nav Hack thread to remove the gear shift console.

The wires are fished from the elbow compartment through a hole I drilled and under the gear shift console. BTW, I didn't have to remove the elbow compartment since there was enough space for the drill. I removed the ashtray (I don't smoke so I never used it anyway) and also removed the entire ashtray assembly by unscrewing two screws visible when the gear shift console is off. I then drilled a hole under the ashtray assembly (not the ashtray) big enough so all wires can be fished through it. I then put velcro behind the Sirius dock and that's it. I can still acces all buttons easily but I tend to use the remote more now. Best of all, I don't have to lean forward and look down to see the display since I had it installed on the cupholder.

I'll take a pic this weekend.
Old 12-15-06, 08:18 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

please post one because I would like to see how this turned out, it may be an alternative more me. Where did you run the power? Did you use a Signal Noise Reducer? Also, what model Sirius do you have?
Old 12-15-06, 08:28 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by lechuck4lf
please post one because I would like to see how this turned out, it may be an alternative more me. Where did you run the power? Did you use a Signal Noise Reducer? Also, what model Sirius do you have?
I have the Sirius Sportster 4. I ran the power from the elbow compartment. The 12V supply is big and I couldn't close the lid all the way. So I opened the power supply just a crack and slid the rubber part that protrudes down to close the lid all the way. No, I didn't use a ground loop isolator since the noise is not bad to me. I may just decide to do it anyway later. The only thing I'm not happy about is the ashtray lid has to be partially open. Other than that, it's ok for now.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 12-16-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 08:24 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Hey Flip you going to post a pic?
Old 12-16-06, 08:49 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Here's a shot during the day.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console Aux Jack-knob-048.jpg  

Quick Reply: Center Console Aux Jack