IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to launch your 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 12:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It has nothing to do with VDIM. Slamming any auto tranny into gear is never a good thing. The clutch plates in an auto are programmed to slip untill a certain speed or load has been achieved. Once the certain condition has been met the tranny will engage a lockup mode, which is where there is no clutch slip by putting full pressure to the plates (same as a manual when you let off the clutch completely).

What happens when you neutral bomb off a launch, the tranny will be slipping like crazy (heats up the clutch plates and tranny fluid very quickly) which is a very very bad thing. Because the plates are slipping, the tranny will then attempt to engage lockup to reduce the slip(more pressure/friction on the plates). The plates will be slipping very baldy already and when the tranny engages lockup mode there will be much more friction and still a ton of spinning and now even more heat. Long story short, neutral bombs are terrible for auto trannies. Lots of heat = very very bad.

Thats just the first part of the problem. Next up is when the tranny does engage lockup and you have a ton of torque going thru the drivetrain. The stock driveshaft may or may not be up to the task of such a high torque load so it may snap in half. I'm sure Toyota builds their stuff pretty tough though. Next up would be the differential gears in the back may or may not be designed to take such a sudden inrush of torque.

Now compare all that to if you brake torque the motor. Once you launch the tranny engages the clutch plates at correct times and slip is reduced. Also the power isn't all of a sudden slammed thru the drivetrain. Yes, it's being built up at a tremendous rate by brake torquing but still nothing compared to the stresses of slamming into gear. It's also very bad to drop the clutch in a manual car but it's not nearly as bad as in an auto because the auto will attempt to slip in the beginnning while a manual applies full pressure at the drop.

Hopefully I've explained it well enough
Old 12-15-06, 01:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Hutch27
I remember those days but the only difference was I rev'ed it to 7500 then slammed to "D". I remember doing that to my civic quite often and the transmission handled it just fine. As a matter of fact it engaged quite smoothly while you can see the smoke coming from the passengers side. I think the VDIM has alot to do with why the "slam method" cause damage to the transmission.

I also remember my friend that owned an automatic supra that easily put 600 rwhp playing around with both style of burning out never had problems with the transmission. Do you guys think it's because of the VDIM?
The Toyota auto in a Supra? 600 hp? Stayed in one piece? Ummm. No. Definitely not the experience of a large number of MkIV Supra owners. The A340E was not known for tolerating much abuse at all. Either your friend was lucky, or he wasn't making nearly the power you say.

Jeff - I don't know where you got the idea the clutches in an automatic slip, but they don't. All the slipping takes place in the torque converter, and it is the torque converter that locks up, not the clutches. The torque converter does not consist of clutches, it is a fluid filled device and has no parts that directly contact each other from input to output. All the torque is passed through the fluid unless lockup is invoked.
Old 12-15-06, 04:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
I've had poor success with torque braking. Now that it is getting colder, my car and tires have 10K miles on them ... if I get any wheel spin started in 1st, it will continue all the way to 2nd. Torque braking just makes that problem so much worse, that it will shift into 2nd too soon.
Wow! I can't even break traction in my car. I've tried. S mode, pwr mode, VDIM off, TRC off, brake torque. Nothing will get that car to spin the rear tires. Once, as an experiment, when it was raining out, I put her into S mode, turned off VDIM and TRC, came to a complete stop, brake torqued to about 1,500 and slammed her to the floor. barely spun IN THE RAIN! Doesn't bother me, though. The car has massive amounts of power and massive amounts of traction.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-15-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-15-06, 09:04 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Wow! I can't even break traction in my car. I've tried. S mode, pwr mode, VDIM off, TRC off, brake torque. Nothing will get that car to spin the rear tires. Once, as an experiment, when it was raining out, I put her into S mode, turned off VDIM and TRC, came to a complete stop, brake torqued to about 1,500 and slammed her to the floor. barely spun IN THE RAIN! Doesn't bother me, though. The car has massive amounts of power and massive amounts of traction.

you either didn't do it right or something isn't right with your car. All the IS350 spin tires even at the prepped track surface. If I do what you did in the rain my car will fishtail like crazy.
Old 12-15-06, 09:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tt061880
you either didn't do it right or something isn't right with your car. All the IS350 spin tires even at the prepped track surface. If I do what you did in the rain my car will fishtail like crazy.
x2. My rears will occasionally break loose in 1st gear at around 5500+ rpm's in good/dry conditions. My buds can't believe it.
Old 12-15-06, 09:32 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles do you have on your car and tires, and are they OEM wheels / tires? When my car was brand new, it would rarely ever break traction in a straight line regardless of how hard I tried. Now that it has 10K, I'm starting to get irritated about how I can't even ease into full throttle in 1st without breaking the rears loose.
Old 12-15-06, 09:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tt061880
Yea, you would think so but even in the rain it pulls hard. Maybe it's the surface that i'm on. There's nothing wrong with the car, I smoked a new GS430 already. I didn't mean to imply that I was still brake torquing when I floored it. Of course, I released the brake when I floored it.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-15-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-15-06, 09:41 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Yea, you would think so but even in the rain it pulls hard. Maybe it's the surface that i'm on. There's nothing wrong with the car, I smoked a new GS430 already. I didn't mean to imply that I was still brake torquing when I floored it. Of course, I released the brake when I floored it.
An IS350 should smoke any other 430.
Old 12-15-06, 09:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
How many miles do you have on your car and tires, and are they OEM wheels / tires? When my car was brand new, it would rarely ever break traction in a straight line regardless of how hard I tried. Now that it has 10K, I'm starting to get irritated about how I can't even ease into full throttle in 1st without breaking the rears loose.
Good point, Gernby! I have only 1,300 miles on my car. Tires are still like new. Think that would do it?
Old 12-15-06, 09:52 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point, Gernby! I have only 1,300 miles on my car. Tires are still like new. Think that would do it?
That will do it. Mine has less than 3k miles, and it still holds like glue - it WILL NOT break free. This is not a negative thing about the car- it has great tires, pulls very hard. Spinning tires might impress 16 year olds, but I'd just as soon have traction and go fast.

The only situation in which I will lose any traction is pulling away from a stop sign and turning while flooring it in the rain.
Old 12-15-06, 10:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It isn't just the fact that the tires are new, and give better traction. It is also that the engine is new, and isn't delivering as much power as it will when it is fully broken in.
Old 12-15-06, 10:45 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no way...I was smoking tires at 600 miles. That has nothing to do with it. If he cant even break loose by brake torquing then there is something wrong. THe car has 306hp to the crank. I can get wheelspin with vdim on if I wanted.
Old 12-15-06, 11:00 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
no way...I was smoking tires at 600 miles. That has nothing to do with it. If he cant even break loose by brake torquing then there is something wrong. THe car has 306hp to the crank. I can get wheelspin with vdim on if I wanted.
well said, I took my car to the drag strip when it still had the temp tag on. My 60' was in the 2.2x and you all know 2.2x is because of spinning. That was done with VDIM off in D mode without brake torque the car.
Old 12-15-06, 11:39 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
The dealer demo that I drove was the same way. Will not spin for nothin'. the car is extremely fast, however. There is NOTHING wrong with the car. I think it depends on several factors. What kind of tires do you have? What about road surface? Strips are notoriously slick. Temperature? humidity? Elevation? Full/empty tank? Passangers? 91 or 93 octane? So many variables.
So let me ask you this; If I took my car to the strip and ran a 13.5, yet, still could not spin the tires on the street is there something wrong with it?
Old 12-15-06, 11:56 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 350 with 2900 miles on it, dunlop sport maxx 18's around G spyders and I can break it loose any time I feel the need and this has been since day one.. Matter of fact depending on the surface I can break it loose going into second if I'm trying to

Quick Reply: How to launch your 2IS?