IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road Noise - Tyres can make a difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 07:04 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Street performance tires make more noise that all-seasons. Who woulddda thunk??

I'm surprised that some of you guys went with the 18" summer wheel package instead of the all-season package. Or an ES350 for that matter. And I'm surprised at how big a deal people make about hearing noise from inside the cabin. Like the car needs to be some sort of sound- and feeling-proof cocoon. I don't get it. I'd sooner take the bus to work, than commute in something like that.

Just my opinion.
Wow. Just like BMW screams about their *driving experience* Lexus is known to make some of the most quiet cars on the road. So yes, some of us enjoy performance and minimal road noise. So yes.. we are going to complain..

I think you should park your car and take a bus to work.. you might be a happier person but then we would get your local bus authority vs. greyhound arguments from ya. :P
Old 12-19-06, 07:37 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I think you should park your car and take a bus to work.. you might be a happier person but then we would get your local bus authority vs. greyhound arguments from ya. :P
I actually work from home, so that isn't going to work...

Old 12-19-06, 08:11 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I actually work from home, so that isn't going to work...

Dang..

-1 for me! :P
Old 12-19-06, 03:39 PM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_

I'm surprised that some of you guys went with the 18" summer wheel package instead of the all-season package. Or an ES350 for that matter. And I'm surprised at how big a deal people make about hearing noise from inside the cabin. Like the car needs to be some sort of sound- and feeling-proof cocoon. I don't get it. I'd sooner take the bus to work, than commute in something like that.

Just my opinion.
wow...that was brilliant!! you are brilliant!!!

Some ppl enjoy the refinement and quietness of their cars while there are also some that like like to personalize their cars. I am trying to minimise the compromise between comfort and performance by looking for a quiet tyre. This isnt about expecting the car to be completely silent, but to maintain the status quo on that aspect.

Coming from a MKIV Supra TT, i am acutely aware of performance and effect of tires on audible road noise. Why does it concern you so much that there are people that have different priorities and requirements from a car?
Old 12-20-06, 03:58 PM
euro.r
Driver

I'm a big fan of BFG KDW tires. Excellent dry and even better in the wet! I have them currently on my TSX and will definitely throw them on the IS350 when the time comes.
Old 12-20-06, 06:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Interestingly enough, I found US tyres underperformed when I was stationed in Greece. Something about their road compound and the US rubber compound did not agree, and even the stickiest of US spec tyres did not stick well there. The locally available compounds seemed to work much better.

Unless I am terribly mistaken, manufacturers do optimise their compounds for the region of the world the expect to sell the tyres. What works in Oz may not work well in the US and vice a versa.
Old 12-21-06, 08:00 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by crispy136
In the 12 months I have owned my IS250, it has managed to have 4 different sets of tyres. I only paid for the last set though.

Set 1 - OEM Bridgestone RE050A - nothing special about these tyres, were too noisy.

Set 2 - Pirelli P7 - fitted by Lexus after road noise complaint - Awful tyres, rough ride and whine like a 4wd.

Set 3 - Falken ST115 - claimed to be a very quiet tyre which is why I got them. Unfortunately while they were noticeably quieter than the Pirelli tyres, they did whine as you slowed below 60kmph, almost right down to a full stop. Was really starting to get on my nerves. This whine was also evident on the Bridgestones but not the Pirellis. However, if you are looking for a performance tyre then this one is for you. Sticks like glue.

Once Lexus reimbursed me for the Falkens I gave them the Pirellis back. Was talking to the service guys yesterday and they said they put the Pirellis on the car of another IS250 customer who had complained about road noise. I asked if he was happy with the Pirellis, they said they thought not. No surprises there.

Set 4 - Did more research and found that the newly released Goodyear Excellence was making claims about road noise suppression. Had considered the Bridgestone ER50 but the Goodyear was a much newer tyre so thought it should have better technology. Also being a much newer tyre that was claimed to meet new EUC noise regulations so I thought I would bite the bullet and give it a go.

What a difference! If you want to reduce road noise then this is the tyre for you. Noticeably quieter on medium texture and smooth roads. Only noisy on coarse chip bitumen, but even then still quieter than the other 3 brands.

They have a firm ride, but no more so than the other 3 brands, and seem to absorb road imperfections better. To top it all off they were the least expensive.
How did you get Lexus to pay for the tires? I would think they would be very reluctant in this area. Did you have to fight for it?

James
Old 12-21-06, 08:15 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b3dlam
I don't think you read this thread very carefully. You're complaining about tire noise while riding on street performance tires. Think about that for a second.

Seriously, maybe you should've gone with a set of all-seasons, since you evidently care a lot more about maintaining the Lexus cocoon, than you do about performance (which is fine).

I'm not saying that you can't put a premium on keeping the cabin quiet. Just saying that you could be a little more intelligent about the situation.

That being said, here's a nice set of Goodyear Invicta GL's that you might like...
Old 12-21-06, 10:24 AM
b3dlam
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't think you read this thread very carefully. You're complaining about tire noise while riding on street performance tires. Think about that for a second.

Seriously, maybe you should've gone with a set of all-seasons, since you evidently care a lot more about maintaining the Lexus cocoon, than you do about performance (which is fine).

I'm not saying that you can't put a premium on keeping the cabin quiet. Just saying that you could be a little more intelligent about the situation.

That being said, here's a nice set of Goodyear Invicta GL's that you might like...
I believe it is you that have not read this thread carefully. I never complained about tire noise. I am seeking feedback about tires that can still provide performance without sacrificing comfort by too much. The thread starter posted his experience with various brands, which had quietness and comfort as desired characteristics. This thread is not about ultimate performance tires. Perhaps you should advise the thread starter in this link to buy a camry?

Seriously, I think you need to pull your head in. Your snide and condescending comments really does not add to this thread topic at all. Now perhaps you should think about that for a few moments. Comments such as yours really does detract users from this forum.
Old 12-21-06, 11:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

Just my opinion.
FF makes a very fair point but unfortunately the case is presents is worded as if he means to insult other members in this thread.

FF, here is a different way you could have approached this making your (valid) point without alienating other members. I'm again requesting you consider the sense of community communications I have brought to your attention in the past.

Originally Posted by ff_v2.0

Guys, one important point that you need to consider is that street performance tires make a whole lot more noise than all-seasons tires do.

You might want to consider going with some all season wheel /tires to reduce the noise, can put the summer ones back on if you want some performance.

Let's face it, the IS350 isn't an isolated family-oriented car like the ES350 and even with a luxury-minded performance car it will be designed to have more feedback through both sound and suspension.

Just my opinion.

FF_ if you want to discuss this or other alternative communication approaches, PM me. The rudeness has to stop as you can see in subsequent posts it takes the thread in a negative direction, as many others have.
Old 12-21-06, 12:46 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Seriously, I think you need to pull your head in. Your snide and condescending comments really does not add to this thread topic at all. Now perhaps you should think about that for a few moments.
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The rudeness has to stop

You mean like this?
Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I think you should park your car and take a bus to work.. you might be a happier person but then we would get your local bus authority vs. greyhound arguments from ya.
Old 12-21-06, 12:58 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
You mean like this?
Geez, you are just reinforcing Dave's point. The negative turn this thread took which you quote was initiated by the intial negative tone of your comments.
Old 12-21-06, 01:02 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
You mean like this?
You always sound like my little nephew.
He is a neglected and frustrated child.
What's your excuse?
Old 12-21-06, 01:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Guys back on topic please, FF_ is taking a couple weeks off and I have high hopes he can be more accountable for his own actions when he returns rather than pointing the finger at others.
Old 12-21-06, 02:54 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys back on topic please, FF_ is taking a couple weeks off and I have high hopes he can be more accountable for his own actions when he returns rather than pointing the finger at others.
What FF_ doesn't realize is that in many (I'm being nice here) instances, it's his negativity that elicits/triggers the other member's negativity.

Back on topic:
FWIW, I switched to PS2's and they are noticeably quieter than the stock Dunlops. I was going to put some dynamat in the front wheel wells to quell some of the road noise but I'm actually good with how quiet it is now.

In terms of the Tirerack ratings, give it a few months before accepting the fact that the Bridgestones are #1. They just don't have enough miles/feedback. After more surveys are completed, they'll probably drop down below the PS2's and GS-D3's just like the Dunlops did.

Last edited by al503; 12-21-06 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Noise - Tyres can make a difference