IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road Noise - Tyres can make a difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 04:49 PM
crispy136
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
How did you get Lexus to pay for the tires? I would think they would be very reluctant in this area. Did you have to fight for it?

James
Hi James

I sent them a letter, pointed out that their solution to my problem had made it worse, leaving me with no option but to repace the tyres myself. Lexus head office rang me and offered to give me a credit for servicing and threw in a free set of reversing sensors for the inconvenience. The Lexus service staff later asked me if I would prefer a refund rather than a credit, to whch I agreed.

A couple of rules:-
1. Always put it in writing to the head office. I personally address to whoever appears as the big cheese in all the Lexus press statements.
2. Always state all the facts. I keep a log of what happened on what day and who said what. I do have done this for every conact with Lexus since my first problem arose. I include extracts of this informaiton in any letter and also attach a copy of the whole log.
3. Always be polite. Wouldn't have got the reverse sensors if I hadn't been nice.
4. Always be reasonable. (don't ask for the stars when you only want the moon)
4. Always end the letter with what you want and something like "I look forward to your response" just so they know they have to contact you. I think my final words were "I have attached the bill for your consideration."
5. If they ring you and promise anything, ask them to confrim it in writing, Lexus did.

Regards

Chris
Old 12-21-06, 04:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot AS on my SC and I was very happy with them until I got over 20K miles on them...which is not bad at all.
I have PS2's on my G35 and they are very noticably more quiet than the older Michelins when they were new. So their claims of being improved appear to be true. We'll see what happens when they get 20K on them.
Just bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx because Tirerack ratings said they were quiet. I'll get them mounted on the 3GS this weekend and report back. I happen to believe Michelin is the best tire on the planet and I hope I don't regret trying a different brand.
Old 12-30-06, 05:50 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crispy136
In the 12 months I have owned my IS250, it has managed to have 4 different sets of tyres. I only paid for the last set though.

Set 1 - OEM Bridgestone RE050A - nothing special about these tyres, were too noisy.

Set 2 - Pirelli P7 - fitted by Lexus after road noise complaint - Awful tyres, rough ride and whine like a 4wd.

Set 3 - Falken ST115 - claimed to be a very quiet tyre which is why I got them. Unfortunately while they were noticeably quieter than the Pirelli tyres, they did whine as you slowed below 60kmph, almost right down to a full stop. Was really starting to get on my nerves. This whine was also evident on the Bridgestones but not the Pirellis. However, if you are looking for a performance tyre then this one is for you. Sticks like glue.

Once Lexus reimbursed me for the Falkens I gave them the Pirellis back. Was talking to the service guys yesterday and they said they put the Pirellis on the car of another IS250 customer who had complained about road noise. I asked if he was happy with the Pirellis, they said they thought not. No surprises there.

Set 4 - Did more research and found that the newly released Goodyear Excellence was making claims about road noise suppression. Had considered the Bridgestone ER50 but the Goodyear was a much newer tyre so thought it should have better technology. Also being a much newer tyre that was claimed to meet new EUC noise regulations so I thought I would bite the bullet and give it a go.

What a difference! If you want to reduce road noise then this is the tyre for you. Noticeably quieter on medium texture and smooth roads. Only noisy on coarse chip bitumen, but even then still quieter than the other 3 brands.

They have a firm ride, but no more so than the other 3 brands, and seem to absorb road imperfections better. To top it all off they were the least expensive.
Hi!

Two weeks on how are the goodyear excellence performing? Did they get noiser? Or quieter?
Old 01-02-07, 07:41 PM
crispy136
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by webra
Hi!

Two weeks on how are the goodyear excellence performing? Did they get noiser? Or quieter?
No change in the tyre noise so far, still very quiet. Have found out the ones I have are made in China. Not really the quality capital, yet they do everything I wanted. Have a loan IS250 with Dunlop Sport Max tyres. The Dunlops are quiet on smooth surfaces but noisier on textured surfaces. At this stage still very happy with the Goodyears. Recommended them to friends who put them on their Toyota and they gave them the thumbs up as well.

Last edited by crispy136; 01-02-07 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 04:09 PM
webra
Pole Position

Thanks for info. I know in Oz the roads can be smooth but coarse textured. Presumably its coping better with this now? You will be interested to know that there is almost no insulation under the carpets on the IS250. Hence the noise; though from your post it seems that tire choice is very important too. Where in Oz are you?
Old 01-03-07, 04:38 PM
crispy136
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by webra
Thanks for info. I know in Oz the roads can be smooth but coarse textured. Presumably its coping better with this now? You will be interested to know that there is almost no insulation under the carpets on the IS250. Hence the noise; though from your post it seems that tire choice is very important too. Where in Oz are you?
Yep, the Goodyears are definately better on textured roads. I am located in Brisbane. Will have to have a look under the carpet, another post also mentioned that there wasn't much insulation there. Very odd, since Lexus has built its reputation on building quiet vehicles. However recent magazine articles have criticised both Lexus and Toyota as having more road noise than other makes being tested. Perhaps the other manufacturers have caught up. Also Lexus may equate noise with being sporty. When the GS came out, one magazine suggested that Lexus had added a noise path as some sort of driver involvement.

The IS250 has been selling up a storm in Australia. My theory is anyone buying the IS250 because they wanted a Lexus have a greater chance of disappointment than say someone who bought one because the wanted a BMW (but bought the Lexus as it was better value, better equipped or possibly a better car). Anyway just a theory based on my experience.

Certainly in my IS250, build quality has been a problem. Over 30 days at the workshop in the last 12 months. Thank goodness for loan cars.
Old 04-12-07, 11:42 AM
e-drag
Driver School Candidate

I just drove home my new IS250 with 18" Bridgestones and noticed what I felt was excessive road noise on I15 NB. My question is, would 17" tires/rims be quieter than 18"? Has anyone considered trying this?
Old 04-12-07, 12:14 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Good looking tire crispy136. Are the sidewalls nice and square once the car sits on them? I found some performance tires look deceiving once they have a load. The side wall gets bubbly and the tread width is narrower than others on the same size. Pirelli P6000 was my disappointment on my last car.

Can't wait to get these Goodyear Excellence (non run flat) in North America.

http://www.goodyear.com.au/TyreDetai...&from=nPerPage
Old 04-14-07, 03:50 AM
crispy136
Driver School Candidate

Hi Phatboyc

The Goodyear's have fairly stiff sidewalls so don't bulge much. Still quiet after 10,000 kms. Also due to the stiff sidewalls the ride is fairly firm so I run them at on only 29 psi (cold). Hasn't caused them to wear as the tread still looks like new and still handles well. I think the compound is quite hard and this would account for the stiff sidewalls and good wear. Also tend to squeal more over some surfaces if you accelerate quickly in a turn, another sign of a harder compound. Not as sticky as the 17" Dunlops on the loan is250, but definately quieter and that was my priority. The dunlops were also significantly wider on the loan car so that may account for the difference.
Old 04-14-07, 02:48 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It kills me to say this but has anyone here besides myself noticed how much more civil our non-USA members are to one another. Really nice to read some of their comments that keep within the real intent of this forum is which is to communicate information about 'our cars'.

This has been one of the most civil threads I read in a long time. Really nice to see an exchange of useful information without someone badgering another for a different opinion.

Last edited by Gtidan; 04-14-07 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 03:10 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crispy136
Yep, the Goodyears are definately better on textured roads. I am located in Brisbane. Will have to have a look under the carpet, another post also mentioned that there wasn't much insulation there. Very odd, since Lexus has built its reputation on building quiet vehicles. However recent magazine articles have criticised both Lexus and Toyota as having more road noise than other makes being tested. Perhaps the other manufacturers have caught up. Also Lexus may equate noise with being sporty. When the GS came out, one magazine suggested that Lexus had added a noise path as some sort of driver involvement.

The IS250 has been selling up a storm in Australia. My theory is anyone buying the IS250 because they wanted a Lexus have a greater chance of disappointment than say someone who bought one because the wanted a BMW (but bought the Lexus as it was better value, better equipped or possibly a better car). Anyway just a theory based on my experience.

Certainly in my IS250, build quality has been a problem. Over 30 days at the workshop in the last 12 months. Thank goodness for loan cars.
Would really like to know more about what type/s of problems you been having. Seems odd to myself here in California that your having so many trips to the dealer.

Sounds a lot more like my previous Mercedes than my Lexus which after 8 months has been almost perfect.

Thanks
Old 04-14-07, 06:34 PM
webra
Pole Position

I found changing tire size also made it quieter. On my stock 17" I went to 225/50, which is the GS size. As the 17" is 8" wide, the tires look great mounted on them, the car looks lowered because the front arches are filled more fully. There is slightly less rubber on the road (40mm), I can now rotate my tires too. Ride is much improved over bad roads, actually I feel the car handles better this way. The reduction of road harshness from this small change is quite remarkable. I use Michelin Pilot Preceda 2.