IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need to sell my brand new '07 IS250!! NO!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 02:43 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, let me know how your sale goes. I may have someone interested in getting a used 2is but he is up in Nor-Cal.
Old 12-15-06, 03:12 PM
Kipperm13
Driver

Even if you live in a state that has sales tax. The seller can wirte of the total sale price for less then what was agreed on and then the buyer wouldn't have to pay as much when they register the car.
Old 12-15-06, 07:19 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I'm getting an IS250 $1k below invoice picking it up tomorrow.

To the OP good luck getting more then $30k for it.

nice helpfull post dude, way to be positive. your probably getting an 06 base is for that so dont make like its some great bargain.

Landon
Old 12-15-06, 08:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
Even if you live in a state that has sales tax. The seller can wirte of the total sale price for less then what was agreed on and then the buyer wouldn't have to pay as much when they register the car.
Very illegal, and the oldest trick in the book, and some states have closed that loophole. Texas has a brand spankin' new law that does not allow the new owner to waltz into the DMV and state a price that is, say, 10 cents on the dollar. There is now a base price for all vehicles based on age and mileage.

--------------------------------
In Texas, this is how the new law works. I got it from the TX DMV site:

"A new state law took effect on October 1, 2006, that requires all Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed car dealer to pay sales tax on the vehicle’s Standard Presumptive Value.

Actual sales tax due is calculated at the county tax office when the title transaction is submitted.

Determining Standard Presumptive Values:

The Standard Presumptive Value is determined by a national vehicle valuation guide that calculates prices based on Texas sales data. The sales tax you owe is based on that amount – even if you paid less for the vehicle. If you paid more for your vehicle than the SPV amount, you owe sales tax on the vehicle’s actual purchase price.

Your county tax office calculates the sales tax you owe based on a vehicle market-value provided by the state. The county tax office cannot change your vehicle’s value or the amount of tax you have to pay."

--------------------------------------

Obviously this is to close the loophole of people getting a bogus, under valued, receipt and using that to pay sales tax that is less than what is actually due.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-16-06 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-15-06, 08:12 PM
rhsmd
Driver

Default scan the contract.

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I'm getting an IS250 $1k below invoice picking it up tomorrow.

To the OP good luck getting more then $30k for it.
sorry to say i don't believe your price for the car!
i read about so many guys(girls)saying they bought the car for < 1k below invoice.
well these car dealers didn't become multimillionaires, by selling cars 1k below invoice.
So if you want to make a believer out of me either scan a copy of the contract, or do a digital photo of it and post it, or stop your bragging.

Last edited by rhsmd; 12-15-06 at 08:15 PM. Reason: incomplete message
Old 12-15-06, 08:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rhsmd
1k below invoice.
So if you want to make a believer out of me either scan a copy of the contract, or do a digital photo of it and post it, or stop your bragging.
LOL, and this is the same owner who is threatening to walk away from the deal if they dare drill his front bumper with a license plate bracket. Doesn't make sense to my simple mind.
Old 12-15-06, 09:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Very illegal and the oldest trick in the book, and some states have closed that loophole. Texas does not allow the new owner to waltz into the DMV and state a price that is 10 cents on the dollar. There is now a base price for a vehicle.
True. A few years ago my dad sold himself a car from his business for a dollar. Went he showed up at the DMV, six cents in hand, they told him he'd have to pay tax on the book value.
Old 03-13-07, 02:21 PM
swooopeno
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

Sorry for the delay... lot's of stuff going on lately... I did indeed sell the car after 3 days of advertising with a little less than 4k miles on it for 32,500. I received an offer of 32k and we eventually settled on 32,500. Interestingly enough, that is almost exactly the msrp of the car. BUT.. the buyer did save sales tax... for whatever that's worth. And lucky for me... that's all I lost in the deal...

More info to help someone someday:

1st offer: 26000 (from dealer)
2nd offer: 28000 (from private party)
3rd and final offer: 32000

I put ads in the local (huge) newspaper, as well as auto trader. Everyone that called (30 people maybe) saw ad in auto trader, not the newspaper.
Old 03-13-07, 04:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swooopeno
I received an offer of 32k and we eventually settled on 32,500. Interestingly enough, that is almost exactly the msrp of the car. BUT.. the buyer did save sales tax... for whatever that's worth. And lucky for me... that's all I lost in the deal...
That's pretty good.

He has to show that he bought it from you, so when he registers for the car, he does have to pay for tax. Is AZ exempt from that?

He probably paid the extra $$ if it had the color and options that he wanted in the first place...
Old 03-13-07, 05:05 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Good to hear. Well done. Enjoy your new house and job.
Old 03-13-07, 07:09 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's pretty good.

He has to show that he bought it from you, so when he registers for the car, he does have to pay for tax. Is AZ exempt from that?
No sales tax to pay in AZ if you buy from an individual. Yes, hard for some to believe, but true.
Old 03-13-07, 08:20 PM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
No sales tax to pay in AZ if you buy from an individual. Yes, hard for some to believe, but true.
I think it's a FAIR law. Why would you want to keep charging tax on the same commodity over and over again for every sale transaction? The original buyer already paid the due for being the FIRST so there is no need to DOUBLE tax those who like to save and doesn't CARE to be the first.

It's just doesn't make sense and IMPRACTICAL. It's hard to believe, but it's indeed TRUE in the great state of California.

I was hit by the law and it costs me $2500 when I bought my car from a fellow citizen. It's NOT sale tax, but it's USE tax. WTF?

Nevertheless, I LOVE California!
Old 03-13-07, 09:35 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

I don't know where you live in AZ but in Tucson they are opening a carmax www.carmax.com and they will buy your car. Just a thought.