IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 or Bmw 328i? Where should I start my research?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 09:09 PM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 or Bmw 328i? Where should I start my research?

I'll be purchasing either an '07 328i or Lexus IS250 sometime in the next month. Whichever car I choose, I will likely keep for at least 6-8 years. Rather than just test driving both vehicles, I'd like to really do my research before I make my purchase. A 10 minute test drive just isn't adequate enough for me tell me which care is safer, more reliable, funner to drive, etc.

I figure at least a few of you considered the 3-series before ultimately settling on a Lexus. What factors convinced you to choose the IS over the other? Also, are there any good websites that do in depth comparisons of the two cars?

Thanks!

P.S. My budget is around $32,500 (+/- 2k)

Last edited by Jblaze2; 12-15-06 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 10:55 PM
United #10
Pole Position

If you want the handling & power, go for 328. I test drove my cousin's 328 before. It is much better than IS250. If you like the look and reliable, go for IS. Just not sure you can get the 328 for $32,500. My cousin paid $45,000 for his 328.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-06, 11:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do some basic research before you go to the dealer, but I don't think you need to overwork it. The only way you can decide which car is right for you is to test drive them. Sometimes a 10 minute ride will rule a car 'in' or 'out'. Then go home, do some more research, and finally make up your mind.

I did all kinds of research, but sitting in and test driving the cars made up my mind fairly quickly.
Old 12-16-06, 05:13 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you'd find that the 328 is a bit more powerful than the IS250. However, the IS is much nicer inside and out, enough so that I'd choose it over the 3.
Old 12-16-06, 08:31 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I think you'd find that the 328 is a bit more powerful than the IS250. However, the IS is much nicer inside and out, enough so that I'd choose it over the 3.
i was somewhat undecided as well concerning Lexus vs. Bmw but if you're planning on keeping the car for 6 to 8 years id say go with Lexus because from what ive heard its not a good idea to keep a Bmw out of warranty. That was my deciding factor as well and didnt want to chance on paying a lot of $$ once the warranty had expired. Granted one can take a chance with Lexus also but id say youd have a much better shot with the IS than the 3 series
Old 12-16-06, 09:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by United #10
If you want the handling & power, go for 328. I test drove my cousin's 328 before. It is much better than IS250. If you like the look and reliable, go for IS. Just not sure you can get the 328 for $32,500. My cousin paid $45,000 for his 328.

Good luck!
damn i got my 350 for barely under 40k OTD
Old 12-16-06, 09:27 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my dillema as well. I was debating between the IS250 and 328. I know BMW is a better engineered car but it all came down to one thing. On top of the reliability and better resale value of a Lexus, I asked myself, when I'm sitting in the car, which one makes me feel good? There's no debate, that's how I made my decision to get the IS.
Old 12-16-06, 09:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Randh
A 10 minute test drive just isn't adequate enough for me tell me which care is safer, more reliable, funner to drive, etc.
Safer: Similar. Both are silver picks in the IIHS crash tests.

More reliable: Lexus, by a long shot. Consumer reports is just one organization that has surveyed statistically significant numbers of owners for their actual experience.

More fun to drive: BMW. Find dealers willing to let you test drive both vehicles on the same twisty roads, and you'll likely come to the same conclusion as the magazines. BMW 3 series is the gold standard for steering, road and brake feel.
Old 12-16-06, 09:52 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added all the features I wanted in the IS to the BMW and saw that BMW was about 10K more with the same features in the IS and that was without the Cooled seats which was a HUGE plus for me living in Houston, TX which means 100 degree weather for about 5 months of the year. Another thing was I really enjoyed the FRESH look of the IS, I felt that the BMW would be dated in 4 years and the IS would still look much more new and updated. Also I could not stand the cold/stark interior of the BMW. The Lexus just seemed so much luxorious on the inside and outside not to mention it was CHEAPER!! Also reliable was huge, Lexus always beats BMW and also the dealer service for Lexus compared to BMW was always a step up for Lexus. Also I dident need the handling, nowhere in houston can you use the full potential of a BMW, the Lexus is much more capable for city driving like I will use it for 99% of the time that im in the car!
Old 12-16-06, 10:02 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

10k difference in price for similar options, plus bmw's seem to be more problematic
Old 12-16-06, 10:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
that was without the Cooled seats which was a HUGE plus for me living in Houston, TX which means 100 degree weather for about 5 months of the year.
Lexus doesn't have cooled seats, they are simply ventilated with cabin air. Make sure you give them a try when test driving the car, since many of us find them weak and nearly worthless.
Old 12-16-06, 10:10 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me the deciding factors were the cooled seats and the styling.

Also, adding navigation, bluetooth and all the nice things to a BMW brought up the cost by way too much.

I was actually going from a Solara, and handling of both cars was already so much better than with my old car, that it really wasn't a factor.
Old 12-16-06, 10:38 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
For me the deciding factors were the cooled seats and the styling.
Ventilated, not cooled. (Grrr, is there smoke streaming from noggin yet? )

Also, adding navigation, bluetooth and all the nice things to a BMW brought up the cost by way too much.
The navigation on the BMW has iDrive, probably the worst user interface of any factory installed system on the market. The touchscreen nav on the Lexus is MUCH better.

Also, BMWs with iDrive lose many of the buttons for the audio and HVAC systems, forcing the driver to wade through multiple layers of iDrive menus to perform common functions.
Old 12-16-06, 11:48 AM
Jblaze2
Pole Position

Speaking of navigation....is this something I can get added later on?
Old 12-16-06, 12:27 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

agree, a guy at work has the 328. It's faster, but iDrive is terrible and I think the styling both inside and out is better on the IS.

I also prefer Japanese cars..makes me sleep better at night :-)

Quick Reply: IS250 or Bmw 328i? Where should I start my research?