IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

REAL DISCUSSION: Am i too young for the IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 05:27 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Yeah - if he was 45+ and hadn't grown out of it. I see so many job applications featuring text shorthand or poor grammer/lack of capitals and it's definitely getting worse.
And apparently it isn't any different here - it's "grammar," not "grammer." Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Javier
Old 12-16-06, 05:35 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wth does this have to do with the is350? shouldn't this go into the OT forum?
Old 12-16-06, 05:38 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_is350
i find it heart wrenching that my uncle drives an 89 4Runner and he is 52. while my father is 43 and lives under better circumstances.
Maybe he just doesn't care about cars. I have a toaster that is older than his 4Runner. It may not be as cool as the latest toaster, no LCD display, no digital controls. But it makes toast just fine, small appliances are not my passion, so I see no need to replace it.

I'd find it a whole lot more heart wrenching if your uncle had to eat dog food in retirement because he felt the need to drive expensive cars and wear the latest designer fashions to earn the respect of his nephew while in his early 50s.
Old 12-16-06, 05:55 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Maybe he just doesn't care about cars. I have a toaster that is older than his 4Runner. It may not be as cool as the latest toaster, no LCD display, no digital controls. But it makes toast just fine, small appliances are not my passion, so I see no need to replace it.

I'd find it a whole lot more heart wrenching if your uncle had to eat dog food in retirement because he felt the need to drive expensive cars and wear the latest designer fashions to earn the respect of his nephew while in his early 50s.
lol there are lcd's on toasters these days?
Old 12-16-06, 06:43 PM
revhi
Driver

Exactly
I know a lot of people that do not drive nice cars because they could care less. They rather have assests in other material things such as estates. So for you to know to even notice older people driving "not nice cars" goes to say what you're really thinking.

QUOTE=Bichon;2300863]Maybe he just doesn't care about cars. I have a toaster that is older than his 4Runner. It may not be as cool as the latest toaster, no LCD display, no digital controls. But it makes toast just fine, small appliances are not my passion, so I see no need to replace it.

I'd find it a whole lot more heart wrenching if your uncle had to eat dog food in retirement because he felt the need to drive expensive cars and wear the latest designer fashions to earn the respect of his nephew while in his early 50s.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-06, 07:49 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

I went to an all guy private school with wealthy kids. I know what you're feeling. Honestly though, I asked for the IS350 as my college graduation present to save my parents money. I REALLY wanted an M3, but I was thinking about the price and the durability of the car. They love Lexus and they knew we could get a good price for it, so I asked them to get it for me. If you think the car is too expensive, think of it as a good investment.

Don't worry, you're fine.
Old 12-16-06, 08:05 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Don’t worry about things like that. Been there had that. I grew up in a rich neighborhood to in Tustin in the late 60’s. My high school “foothill high” was mostly made up with rich kids, so what. Everyone had the newest cars from mustangs 2+2, olds 442’s to Hemi Chargers. It was great and we went every where. So when your out at the mall and going to your car get in and go. I really don’t think the other people will care if your 18 and have a really cool car, we did and loved it. I am glad to see that you know where you are.
Old 12-16-06, 08:08 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

A car says little to nothing about a persons' financial situation...you can spend your money trying to look rich, or getting rich. Know what I mean?
Old 12-16-06, 08:30 PM
revhi
Driver

Wow, probably one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. This isnt a C2, how is an is350 an investment? If you mean reliable, then yes. But investment? Where did you go to school?

Originally Posted by jt4you
. If you think the car is too expensive, think of it as a good investment.
Old 12-16-06, 09:11 PM
rhsmd
Driver

your just an attention seeking braggart, proven simply by starting this thread." ooh poor me, i hope the less fortunate arn't hurt by my having a nice car". your actions are those of a 17 year old. grow up and become an adult, then people won't care about your car. they'll be concerned about the person.
what have you done to earn the car? could you afford it without your parents?
do you even own one, or are you just BSing everyone!!
Old 12-16-06, 09:15 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jt4you
I went to an all guy private school with wealthy kids. I know what you're feeling. Honestly though, I asked for the IS350 as my college graduation present to save my parents money. I REALLY wanted an M3, but I was thinking about the price and the durability of the car. They love Lexus and they knew we could get a good price for it, so I asked them to get it for me. If you think the car is too expensive, think of it as a good investment.

Don't worry, you're fine.
Some of these comments are the reason my kid will not live an entitled life. It leads to a real warped sense of reality, and really misshapes character. That is to say, you did NOT do your parents any favors by asking for a car for college graduation. Doing them a favor would have been to tell them "thanks" for the education, and to insist on paying your own way as an adult.

And for the OP, people driving early 90s cars aren't unfortunate, and you have no reason to be embarrassed. They may think they're the luckiest people alive because of their family, or possibly because of a job they love, or any number of other things you couldn't make inferences about. You can't take a look at someone's car and assume so much about who they are.

Last edited by 15951; 12-16-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 09:20 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

HahahaHahaha Wow! Im 17 also, turn 18 in February also but my parents got me the IS 250. It was my decision, I could have gotten the 300+ HP G35 but I wanted the 206 HP Lexus because I liked it oh so much better. Anyways, that being said I have that same feeling of being spoiled and have not paid a cent for my car... My friends drive nice cars, not amazing cars like a brand spanking new lexus but I do have friends that just got brand new Mustang convertibles, another friend with a 02' GS 300, but I do get that feeling of wow... pulling up to someone 20+ my years and his/her car just shows that life is really hard and im lucky to be where I am... However, Im ticket/accident free as of February 2005 when I got my license so I guess that helped my parents give in to getting such a nice car? I can also justify it by my dad having a Boss 302 when he was my age, that was a 430+ HP Car. Other than that I still feel like a spoiled brat but I cant help it, I LOVE my car and keep it in tip top shape at all times, so even though im spoiled I DO appreciate my car!
Old 12-16-06, 09:25 PM
DevJ
Driver

well im a little bit younger than you and bought a lexus is350 fully loaded with exhasut, etc.. a couple of weekends ago. i've been driving around my dads lx/moms bmw/sis's benz. just dont brag about it or make a big deal about having a nicer than everyone else and you should be alright.
Old 12-16-06, 09:38 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Just the fact that you came on this board and made this post shows that you have some sort of back bone, and maybe it may come off as being spoiled, but it shows that you see that you may have it better than others and you appreciate it.

The only thing I always noticed with everyone I know that Mom and Dad bought them a car, is 80% of them always ended up in a wreck, just for the fact that they didn't care what happened to the car since they didn't have to put their hard earned money into buying it. They always had the "who cares I didn't pay for it" attitude, which I think in not cool and totally ungrateful on their part.
Old 12-16-06, 09:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rhsmd
your just an attention seeking braggart, proven simply by starting this thread." ooh poor me, i hope the less fortunate arn't hurt by my having a nice car". your actions are those of a 17 year old. grow up and become an adult, then people won't care about your car. they'll be concerned about the person.
what have you done to earn the car? could you afford it without your parents?
do you even own one, or are you just BSing everyone!!
no you don't, don't listen to this. you just keep being 17 years old and don't worry about people calling you spoiled or rich kid or whatever. you're 17 and pretty much entitled to act however you want as long as it isn't unlawful. yes some people will think you are deliberate and intentional and a braggart as this poster does but again, at age 17 so what? what mature adult cares how a 17 year old acts and behaves as long as it doesn't infringe on them? why would i even care if a 17-year old thinks he is a badass? i don't...and most mature adults don't care either because we know better. you're only 17-years old and you might as well be 17 now because when you get older, 10- 20- 30-years later, you've got other problems to worry about and other issues to deal with; so for now, try to shrug it off....while you still can.

Quick Reply: REAL DISCUSSION: Am i too young for the IS350??