IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

REAL DISCUSSION: Am i too young for the IS350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 01:30 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default REAL DISCUSSION: Am i too young for the IS350??

ill be honest, im pretty young and i like to drive fast so i knew i wanted a 350, but i am also very cautious. i never tailgate, but i am the type that switches lanes frequently and such. i got my license at 16, 3 days before my 17th bday, and drove my parents LX470 from february until December 2, 2006--when i brought home my 2007 IS350 with x and nav. ill be honest, i am not paying a cent for it. i love it so much, and i already got the HKS exhaust but out of my own pocket.

im 17 years old now. ill be 18 in feb. however, when i go to the mall or something, and i see families who are lesser fortunate and 3 times my age driving cars from the early 90's like civics parked by me with their kid, i hide, and am too embarassed to walk up to my car when they are there. i get the same feeling when im pulling out of the driveway of my high school, and one of the teachers is next to me, and they just stare at me. i hate when this happens, and i feel terrible.

but on the other hand, my school is full of wealthy kids. not saying that everyone there is rich, but there are brand new mustang gt's, a4's, at least 10 of the new 3-series and c-classes, slk's etc.. and countless other expensive cars that you would rarely expect to see a teen driving.

i know that i already have my car, but what do you think of kids like me? and others at my school. i know for sure that my car is one of the most expensive, seconded only by a brand new 5-series and maybe the SLK.
Old 12-16-06, 01:44 PM
revhi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, youre lucky.. big deal. There are kids that have it better than you, I know a 19 year old kid that has a f430, range rover, and a bentley GT.

When you start making your own money and see some kid driving a real nice car, then you willl see what it feels like.

Do you switch lanes real fast because you think you're a racer? Or is it because you've seen in it the movies and want to look cool?

I think you're being a little self righteous by posting what you did. You already know what people think about you, so why do you need our opinion?
Old 12-16-06, 01:47 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Your age may be young, but I feel in my opinion your post showed that you are mature. You already realize that you are fortunate to be driving such a nice car, and that you realize that others are not. And you even said that it makes you feel horrible sometimes.

Im guessing your parents bought it for you and thats fine. Im sure your parents worked very hard for their money in getting you a Lexus. You may be young but Im sure your parents feel you are old enough and mature enough to handle owning a nice vehicle.

Congrats on the new car and have fun, be safe and always use protection. Pictures when you get a chance too!!!! Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 12-16-06, 01:49 PM
scawacs
Driver

i dont know why we are bothered by what people, whom we have never seen before and never see again, think of us. But that's the world we live in today.

One solution is to make yourself look older. Grow a moustache or a beard, put on different clothes, whatever.

Would your parents let you drive a civic? I know mine wouldnt. If one day you do get in an accident (knock on wood), driving that IS instead of the civic might just be the thing that saves your life.
Old 12-16-06, 02:08 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by revhi
Um, youre lucky.. big deal. There are kids that have it better than you, I know a 19 year old kid that has a f430, range rover, and a bentley GT.

When you start making your own money and see some kid driving a real nice car, then you willl see what it feels like.

Do you switch lanes real fast because you think you're a racer? Or is it because you've seen in it the movies and want to look cool?

I think you're being a little self righteous by posting what you did. You already know what people think about you, so why do you need our opinion?
hey, point taken, i don't think that i'm self righteous, but just concerned. i don't know how your family is, but my relatives aren't wealthy. the point im addressing is not that i'm spoiled, but if i should drive a nice car given the circumstances that there are people working harder than me who have less, but i guess that's life huh?

i find it heart wrenching that my uncle drives an 89 4Runner and he is 52. while my father is 43 and lives under better circumstances.

truth be told, i don't know if i even wanted a response, i just wanted to tell my experience and how i feel bad when i see these things.

about the lane switching comment, ill be really honest. it's probably a combination of both, combined with impatience, and just cause i love cars and how they perform--period!

and yes, that person with those 3 cars has it much better off than me. then again im 17, who knows what the future holds lol.

my friends parents told him they would get him an F430 if he got into a university...probably not happening though haha. he is also more well off than me...at 15 he got a brand new 911, but the school complained that he drove too fast on campus and called his parents. his mother punished him by getting him an IS350 because it was slower, and said that he can only drive his porsche on weekends--now that's ridiculous if you ask me. then again, his relatives are all wealthy, so i don't think the problem bothers him as much as it bothers me.
Old 12-16-06, 02:13 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

RedPaste: thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it.

scawacs: lol, i am doing that right now! im growing it out haha, but my mom hates it so i don't know how long it's gonna last.
Old 12-16-06, 02:33 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm happy for you that you get such a nice car at such young age, you're very blessed. It's very nice to see a rich spoil kid who doesn't act like one, in fact I haven't seen one like yourself
Old 12-16-06, 02:57 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

as long as you appreciate all that life has given you thus far, don't look down upon others who are less fortunate, don't act like a snobby a-hole, and stay humble, you'll be ok man. I grew up poor as shi.t..and then we became very well-off during my high school years...so I know what it's like to be at the extreme ends of the spectrum (ok I'm not a billionaire or anything, but you get it.) Just stay "you", enjoy the car.

I've definitely seen a few young CL members totally say stuff like, "pssshhh where I come from this car is a piece of ishh, if you're 20 + years old you should be driving Mercedes CLS or 6 Series at least." Kids like that live in a bubble, and when life throws them oranges, they are going to be ishhh outta luck
Old 12-16-06, 03:01 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scawacs
i dont know why we are bothered by what people, whom we have never seen before and never see again, think of us. But that's the world we live in today.

One solution is to make yourself look older. Grow a moustache or a beard, put on different clothes, whatever.

Would your parents let you drive a civic? I know mine wouldnt. If one day you do get in an accident (knock on wood), driving that IS instead of the civic might just be the thing that saves your life.
Yeah because a 306 hp rear wheel drive sedan promotes safe driving..
Old 12-16-06, 03:02 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
as long as you appreciate all that life has given you thus far, don't look down upon others who are less fortunate, don't act like a snobby a-hole, and stay humble, you'll be ok man. I grew up poor as shi.t..and then we became very well-off during my high school years...so I know what it's like to be at the extreme ends of the spectrum (ok I'm not a billionaire or anything, but you get it.) Just stay "you", enjoy the car.
Well said. Also, it's not like you're driving a Ferrari or something... you're driving one of the cheapest Lexus made.

Javier
Old 12-16-06, 03:05 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ron_is350
ill be honest, im pretty young and i like to drive fast so i knew i wanted a 350, but i am also very cautious. i never tailgate, but i am the type that switches lanes frequently and such. i got my license at 16, 3 days before my 17th bday, and drove my parents LX470 from february until December 2, 2006--when i brought home my 2007 IS350 with x and nav. ill be honest, i am not paying a cent for it. i love it so much, and i already got the HKS exhaust but out of my own pocket.

im 17 years old now. ill be 18 in feb. however, when i go to the mall or something, and i see families who are lesser fortunate and 3 times my age driving cars from the early 90's like civics parked by me with their kid, i hide, and am too embarassed to walk up to my car when they are there. i get the same feeling when im pulling out of the driveway of my high school, and one of the teachers is next to me, and they just stare at me. i hate when this happens, and i feel terrible.

but on the other hand, my school is full of wealthy kids. not saying that everyone there is rich, but there are brand new mustang gt's, a4's, at least 10 of the new 3-series and c-classes, slk's etc.. and countless other expensive cars that you would rarely expect to see a teen driving.

i know that i already have my car, but what do you think of kids like me? and others at my school. i know for sure that my car is one of the most expensive, seconded only by a brand new 5-series and maybe the SLK.

Thanks for posting this you just proved my point that there are self righteous little ****** in the world that think that money and the type of car that you drive determine how happy you are in life.
Old 12-16-06, 03:05 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah its only $45,000. Thats 2 honda civic SI's and a 42" 1080P LCD HDTV.

You could have all the money, cars, houses, nice clothes you want...but none of that matters without family, health, good friends, and a young lady to share it with.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-16-06 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 03:12 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

As long as said lady isn't TOO young
Old 12-16-06, 03:12 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

You're gonna get so... laid!
Old 12-16-06, 03:16 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by l1tech
Thanks for posting this you just proved my point that there are self righteous little ****** in the world that think that money and the type of car that you drive determine how happy you are in life.
how can a 17-year old be self-righteous; how exactly does a 17-year old person determine how happy they are in life is based on money and possessions? They can't. Your point = wrong.

Quick Reply: REAL DISCUSSION: Am i too young for the IS350??