IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which H.I.D kit should i ask santa for? Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 06:45 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which H.I.D kit should i ask santa for? Need Advice.

I was searching on ebay and they had these MTEC kits going for around 340 bucks. Are there any other kits out, and what place has the best prices for this unit? I would imagine ebay but you never know.

Also I'm debating between 6,000k and 8,000k. I don't want to get something illegal, i want something that looks like a stock hid kit, which is why i would imagine 6k would be better correct?

And lastly down the road i know eventually these bulbs will give out. Are the replacement blubs pricey?
Old 12-16-06, 06:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have 6000K Xenon Depot kit. They are a little more pricey than the MTEC kit but it seems like well worth it.

8000K is really blue. You might get pulled over for that. I used to have 8000k MTEC kit when i had my RSX and I was happy with it as well.
Old 12-16-06, 07:04 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

I Think XENON DEPOT Is Having A Sale!..*
Old 12-16-06, 07:08 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6000k....i had 8000k... and it looked good when your looking at the car but terrible when you sitting in the car looking out... never again will i get 8000k...
Old 12-16-06, 07:52 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 8000k low and fog, I think its pretty nice. I had mine done for 600 installed. I will take pictures if you want.
Old 12-16-06, 09:46 PM
United #10
Pole Position

I would pay $40 more to get the Xenon Depot kit. You will love the kit. They used Philips parts.
Old 12-16-06, 10:21 PM
Wai
Pole Position

I know many people out there have done it, but I still want to give out an honest advice.... putting a "HID kit" in a projector or housing that is originally designed for halogen bulb is a bad idea. If you look closely on the same car model, but one with OEM HID, one with OEM halogen, you can easily see that the projectors are different.

If you want to do it right, you really need a retrofit with shroud to confine the light and to give a clean cutoff. Otherwise it would have a lot of glare, and that glare is what blinding the on-coming traffic and create blurry visibility to yourself. It's a safety issue.

This website offers retrofit service:
www.customlightz.com
They worked on one of my cars and the result is fantastic.
Old 12-17-06, 06:10 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

any more opinions?
Old 12-17-06, 06:51 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wai
I know many people out there have done it, but I still want to give out an honest advice.... putting a "HID kit" in a projector or housing that is originally designed for halogen bulb is a bad idea. If you look closely on the same car model, but one with OEM HID, one with OEM halogen, you can easily see that the projectors are different.

If you want to do it right, you really need a retrofit with shroud to confine the light and to give a clean cutoff. Otherwise it would have a lot of glare, and that glare is what blinding the on-coming traffic and create blurry visibility to yourself. It's a safety issue.

This website offers retrofit service:
www.customlightz.com
They worked on one of my cars and the result is fantastic.
Nope it doesn't do that to me... I check the leveling of my low beam it is OK, although compare to the OEM HID the HID I got produce less light output and rare light pattern, I check on the other side of the road and it's OK... I think is depends on your HID kit...
Old 12-17-06, 07:55 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Xenon depot kit is definitely a quality kit. The only problem i have with it is the crappy connector they use for the ignitors. You'll need to mess with it a bit to get it to stay connected. Otherwise, the kit is great.
Old 12-17-06, 09:17 PM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISbb
Nope it doesn't do that to me... I check the leveling of my low beam it is OK, although compare to the OEM HID the HID I got produce less light output and rare light pattern, I check on the other side of the road and it's OK... I think is depends on your HID kit...
You are not the first person to say that. But unfortunately, "light" is a very hard subject to debate and even photos are hard to do justice. But the fact is that, the light is not confined with the halogen projectors without a shroud, and I guess that's what you referred to as "rare light pattern".

Pleeeease don't take my comment in an offensive way.....
The thread starter still has the freedom to go with a simple HID kit. I just wanted to point out that there are options out there that would do it the right way, but a bit more expensive of course.
Old 12-17-06, 09:49 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wai
You are not the first person to say that. But unfortunately, "light" is a very hard subject to debate and even photos are hard to do justice. But the fact is that, the light is not confined with the halogen projectors without a shroud, and I guess that's what you referred to as "rare light pattern".

Pleeeease don't take my comment in an offensive way.....
The thread starter still has the freedom to go with a simple HID kit. I just wanted to point out that there are options out there that would do it the right way, but a bit more expensive of course.
What would that be? I definitley want the clearest and most sharp night driving I can get.
Old 12-18-06, 06:37 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 9520G
What would that be? I definitley want the clearest and most sharp night driving I can get.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are places out there that do complete retrofit with shroud and/or projectors of your choice. Personally I had experience with: www.customlightz.com and am very happy with their work.

For Custom Lightz, you can pick and choose a projector and shroud from A4/S4, S2000, TSX, M3, Porsche (Hella) bixenon, E55 bixenon, TL bixenon or custom made shroud, each would give a different appearance.

You can talk to a guy named Bjorn and mentioned that Wai with a Spoon race car referred you to them, they would give out referral discounts. Good luck!
Old 12-18-06, 06:54 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I had the MTEC 4500 lights in my last IS.

They were awesome. The light was white, without any/much yellow. And it was bright... real bright. The bad news is, my GF complained that my lights were blinding, when I followed her.

I probably should have just adjusted them lower. My new IS with the AFS HIDs... just dont seem that bright to me.
Old 12-21-06, 11:08 PM
flyfl1pguy

Thats the brand of HID on the car.

Quick Reply: Which H.I.D kit should i ask santa for? Need Advice.