IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 01:59 PM
jg71q
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The switch I used, which looks great in one of the empty spots on the dash is the Scion OEM Style GSW-45 Rocker Switch (On/Off Style) for $7.99 from http://www.oznium.com. The switch was on my doorstep 4 days after I ordered it online and with about two minutes of filling on the dash opening, it fits really well and looks OEM.
Old 06-16-08, 07:59 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread.... but I am confused about this Hack.

So the original hack =
Pink wire from loom connected to white wire from loom.
white and pink wire on Nav = Cut

With this hack and switch closed =

With this hack and switch open =
white and pink wire = Completely cut

How do any of these situations keep the nav functioning normal?
Old 06-24-08, 07:57 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread.... but I am confused about this Hack.

So the original hack =

With this hack and switch closed =

With this hack and switch open =
white and pink wire = Completely cut

How do any of these situations keep the nav functioning normal?
With the switch open, "white and pink wire = completely cut", the nav unit is NOT getting speed data from the car, which makes it considerably LESS reliable, as it is only getting GPS data. The nav will be "jumpy" or not update your cars position accurately. Hence, why you have the switch "open" only to enter destinations, then you switch it back to "closed" when finished so the nav functions normally...
Old 08-09-08, 10:37 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanx technique.. printed out your instructions and brought it to my audio shop yesterday.. they performed this and tims nav hack for me and it all works great on my IS-F
Old 08-10-08, 01:05 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
thanx technique.. printed out your instructions and brought it to my audio shop yesterday.. they performed this and tims nav hack for me and it all works great on my IS-F
Excellent!!! Now you can "fully" enjoy that beautiful IS-F of yours
Old 01-22-09, 02:16 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Thanks for this thread. I just got my new 2008 IS 350 a couple weeks ago and want to do 1) the Navi Hack, 2) This Navi Hack pt. 2 (w/ switch), and 3) the SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) - iPod Video Interface Adapter) install (My SL2Vi just arrived two days ago).

TrymyIS had suggested this thread for info and also said that there are some great pics on how to disassemble your dash on this DYI posted here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...en-moving.html

I just wanted to summarize teh equipment I need though for this specific navi switch hack (I'll figure out the Navi Hack 1 & SL2Vi info in other threads). I know I need 2 long pieces of wire:

Originally Posted by Technique
Get two long pieces of wire... Connect one of these pieces of wire to the Pink wire coming out of the loom that originally went to J50...
Next, take your other long piece of wire and connect it to the silver/white wire that originally came out of J1...
And the switch:
Originally Posted by Technique
...The Toyota switch I used (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/) is NOT an exact fit in the slot where the blank used to be... The inner opening of the dash is not big enough as there are two small plastic bars on either side... So, I took out a handy file and filed them down smooth... The Toyota switch was then a perfect fit, and the blank was also still able to fit in there perfectly (if you ever wanted to return it to look like stock)...

It takes some skill and patience to file down the opening perfectly, but it's not that difficult...

UPDATE: This switch - http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45 Appears to be a perfect fit, but no one has tried it yet... Either way, it doesn't have any markings (which I like better), so if anyone wants to do this hack, I'd recommend this switch...
jg71q elaborated a bit more on this switch here:

Originally Posted by jg71q
The switch I used, which looks great in one of the empty spots on the dash is the Scion OEM Style GSW-45 Rocker Switch (On/Off Style) for $7.99 from http://www.oznium.com. The switch was on my doorstep 4 days after I ordered it online and with about two minutes of filling on the dash opening, it fits really well and looks OEM.
It's $9.99 for the On/Off one which isn't too big a deal.

anything else? certain tools, etc.? anything else from oznium I should consider before ordering the switch only.
Old 01-22-09, 05:40 PM
Vossen FGD
Former Sponsor

did this twice! then took it out lol! getting the navTV module now so I can connect it to 2 other screens
Old 01-22-09, 06:45 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Vossen FGD
did this twice! then took it out lol! getting the navTV module now so I can connect it to 2 other screens
hey can u elaborate on the navtv module? i was interested in the idea if the price was right, but didnt know where to start.
Old 01-22-09, 08:39 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vossen FGD
What exactly is this? I'm not familiar with this.
Old 04-10-09, 08:27 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jg71q
Finally got around to ordering the GSW-45 Rocker Switch - Scion OEM Style. It was $9.99,and almost $15 w/ shipping. They also have an LED rocker switch for a couple bucks more, but I figured I didn't really need that since this should mostly be in the off position.

Planning on following the instructions on this thread to do the Navigation Hack Part two, the Navigation Hack part 1, and the install of my SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) - iPod Video Interface Adapter (still looking for a good link for that install) all in one shot.
Old 06-20-09, 05:33 AM
BiTeZ
Driver School Candidate

will this work for a 2009 IS250 AWD? I've read that the Nav Hack no longer works for 2009.
Old 06-21-09, 06:18 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BiTeZ
will this work for a 2009 IS250 AWD? I've read that the Nav Hack no longer works for 2009.
Yes, works for all 2nd generation ISx50s... 2006 through present...
Old 07-07-09, 06:05 PM
vvsabvv
Driver School Candidate

ok im confused i did the hack from the where u just connect the pink wire from J50 and the white wire from P1 and i can do everything but just the navi while im driving.

i want to do this hack now so i can do everything while driving but im confused..

after i uncut what i had done, connect a new wire to the pink wire coming from the loom then im lost.

is P1 the same as J1??
Old 07-07-09, 07:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vvsabvv
ok im confused i did the hack from the where u just connect the pink wire from J50 and the white wire from P1 and i can do everything but just the navi while im driving.

i want to do this hack now so i can do everything while driving but im confused..

after i uncut what i had done, connect a new wire to the pink wire coming from the loom then im lost.

is P1 the same as J1??
Just connect the pink and silver/white to each end of a switch... Done!
Old 07-12-09, 06:16 PM
vvsabvv
Driver School Candidate

so i added the switch today to my nav hack, and either way on or off the nav doesnt run smooth. what did i do work? and plus it dont tell me where to go like it did before?

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch