IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 04:17 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by genearch
or this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=1

"It took them two weeks to repair it and I was told that I have to bring back in because they didn’t have several hoses and they are on order. Forgot to mention, I also had front passenger seat replaced at this time for the same problem as I had with driver seat. Not to mention that dealer also had to replace front brakes and rotors, because the steering wheel vibrated. Today I was driving from work and in the middle of the freeway a very severe knocking sound came from engine. Had it towed to the dealer again."

Simply search the IS forum for "lemon" and you'll find several different scenarios where the IS has failed. Some minor, some major. it happens to all cars, so there is no reason to paint the whole series with the same brush.

Its easy to point out incidents like this when it happens, but that's far from the norm. Everyone will be quick to point out Lexus reliability and they are right, but lets not forget that BMW reliability is well above average as well.
And this post is from a Lexus Super-mod ? If this wasn't on CL, I'd swear it was a post on a BMW board
Old 09-05-06, 04:32 PM
LexFather

I can agree that Lexus/toyota has had a slip of late, not going to going into the whys but thank goodness they acknowledge it and aim to correct.
Old 09-05-06, 04:34 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestar
And this post is from a Lexus Super-mod ? If this wasn't on CL, I'd swear it was a post on a BMW board
Just means he's not a 'fanboy.'
Old 09-05-06, 04:48 PM
LexFather

My dads magazine rack is bigger than your dads magazine rack! lol
Old 09-05-06, 06:16 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Turbos fail. It happens to them all at some point.
Indeed...and yet another reason why I'd prefer N/A power over FI when given the option. One less source of error.
Old 09-05-06, 06:48 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KKelly
"Lease deal, $529 a month, $3500 drive off. Pretty cheap, BMW is
offering a very cheap money factor..."
Hmmm thats okay. But what are the lease terms 3 years 10K miles?
Old 09-05-06, 09:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Thought you guys might find it interesting. C&D tested the 335 TT automatic and got a 0-60 in 4.9 secs and quartermile in 13.6@105 mph. Auto to auto, straight line acceleration seems close with IS350.

I guess it would be crazy fast with the 6 speed manual version even more so than the E46 M3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ecs-page2.html

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-05-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 10:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

How did you determine they tested an automatic? I can't tell what they tested. The weight gives a range, not a number. The gearboxes give all options, not option as tested. They're not very specific about their test machine, only the one they drove in Europe. It would be nice if it were more clear.
Old 09-05-06, 10:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Keep reading. The car they tested showed up at their offices in the US. It doesn't mean it's exactly the same car. That was my point.
Old 09-06-06, 12:42 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
To be honest, in SCCA the 3 series is a mere D stock class competitor...for all the handling that people claim the 3 series does, its really not some beast in the department, and lacked everything in the power department before this turbo version. The new IS is foremost a luxury car, different than the 1st gen. in most every way, and its meant to behave on the street first, while doing anything else secondary, including performance, hence why the 250 has greater sales expectations. I wouldn't even call the 3 series a true luxury vehicle by comparison, as its always walked a line that held more of a bias towards performance, very distinct from that which Lexus has and always will offer. If one complains about handling, feel, and performance driving dynamic, then buy the car designed around those principles...but don't expect it from Lexus, in a fashion similar to why you wouldn't expect a Rolls Royce to suddenly start carving corners with the feel of a Lotus. Lexus builds cars to spoil the consumer with quality, comfort, features, and isolation from the environment which makes up daily driving, at a price which undercuts its competition...as such, judge it by that criteria, and you'll see why it meets the sale success it has within the relatively short amount of time the brand has existed.

Does the IS compete with the 3-series? Indeed it does, but for a different type of consumer, that does not want a BMW clone or BMW price. The sales of the 1st gen. IS not only highlighted this point, but it's also reinforced by Toyota's changes/philosophy for the second gen...some people want a passive driving experience, while others prefer a more active one. Neither preference/idea has failed BMW or Lexus yet.
+Rep. ^^^ Very well stated.
Old 09-06-06, 04:53 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Based on the numbers (data) available today the 335i makes approx 275 RWHP and the IS is somewhere around 265 RWHP (Different day/conditions). Which puts the 335i somewhere in the 320 hp range. I find it funny that there have not been any head to head comparisons between the new G35, 335i and the IS. I think we will see the top three in a very close test/race. Depending on the differences (which I think will be minuet) I would much rather have a naturally aspirated engine over the complexity of a intercooled twin turbo. This set-up could end up a big can of worms for BMW!

Koz
The can has been opened!

http://forums.bimmerfest.com/showthread.php?t=163972

Koz
Old 09-06-06, 05:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Rattles are one thing, engines are another. IS is still the most reliable in class as most every Lexus in its respective class.
I've had my '06 ES and '06 IS to the dealer multiple times already for problems. And not talking about squeeks and rattles. The combined mileage on the two cars is under 7500 miles. The Lexus brand has been anything but reliable for me.

I think you're going to begin seeing Toyota's reliability rankings slide as they get bigger and bigger. This is pretty much par for the course when an automaker starts releasing too many new and newly redesigned cars at the same time.
Old 09-06-06, 07:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
State of the art engine design? WTF are you talking about? Where do you guys come up with this crap? What does the Toyota 3.5 have that Honda didn't already have back in 1988?

And shoot, I'll bet Lotus engineers crapped their pants when they saw that the Elise didn't make as much HP as the new IS.
Since the Toyota 3.5 V6 was introduced in the Avalon it put almost every vehicle at the top of its class. It does it all, class leading power and fuel economy. Let’s see, Avalon, Camry, Rav4, RX, IS, ES, etc. You don't think that the Toyota 3.5 V6 is the TOP performing V6 on the market today? You can't see BMW and Nissan scrabbling to catch up?

Let’s compare apples to apples, Lotus Elise, PLEASE!

Koz
Old 09-06-06, 07:56 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

You don't think that the Toyota 3.5 V6 is the TOP performing V6 on the market today? You can't see BMW and Nissan scrabbling to catch up?

Well, first of all the BMW engine is an inline 6 and actually it does have the top spot in terms of performance in the E46 M3 and only with 3.2 liters and that was six years ago. But, putting that aside, coming out with a car that matches or exceeds the IS350 in performance within a year or so is not scrambling to catch up. Don't gloat too much as the period in which a car gets to claim the #1 spot in anything is getting shorter and shorter. The IS350 already has to respond to the 335i.
Old 09-06-06, 08:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Since the Toyota 3.5 V6 was introduced in the Avalon it put almost every vehicle at the top of its class. It does it all, class leading power and fuel economy. Let’s see, Avalon, Camry, Rav4, RX, IS, ES, etc. You don't think that the Toyota 3.5 V6 is the TOP performing V6 on the market today? You can't see BMW and Nissan scrabbling to catch up?

Koz
I'm not discounting the value of the Toyota 3.5 V6. I'm stating that I don't see it as being "state of the art", as was previously claimed.

Also, the BMW Inline 6, with less displacement, was putting out 333 HP something like 6 years ago (and 360 HP in CSL form), so 300 HP these days isn't that special. It's good, but not special.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)