IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06 | 04:54 PM
krookid
Driver

Its my BMW, maybe I should have kept my IS 350, oh well all cars can mess up from time to time. BMW have made me a respectable solution to the situation, and I am happy with it. I don't feel like re-posting it so just check out the link to bimmerfest.
Old 09-07-06 | 06:21 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thats an awesome solution.

I am glad things worked well for you.
Old 09-07-06 | 06:26 PM
shoei
Driver

Originally Posted by krookid
Its my BMW, maybe I should have kept my IS 350, oh well all cars can mess up from time to time. BMW have made me a respectable solution to the situation, and I am happy with it. I don't feel like re-posting it so just check out the link to bimmerfest.

Wait, you are the owner of the 335i that had the engine failure?
If so then I'm happy you are getting some compensation from BMW.
I probably would have done the same thing. I would venture that
most Americans would not have settled for the deal and probably
demanded a new car or have the lawyers fight it out against each other
in court. Let's hope this will be the last of the failures for many years to come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=163972&page=6

The purposed deal I got from BMW was this: Now I go into sign on this tomorrow so if something changes, I will make the appropriate corrections.

I will be receiving $3000.00 cash for my woes and they will be re-placing the engine and all of the in car electronics, and any other effected area, including exhaust etc. They have given a time line of no more than 60 days to have this completed, and a provision in the agreement is that if for some reason it takes more than 60 days , I will receive $50.00 per day untill complete. I am satisfied with this arangement. The manager also said that the engine was already on the way and could be here in as little as 2 weeks and then a few days for install so with a little luck, I may have my car back just in time to park it for winter(sarcasim intended). I have to say though that I was treated with respect, and made feel like this situation was important to them, and I was just not some guy with a car problem. Best of luck to all of you that have made the 335i leap of faith, and I still strongly suspect that this was just a fluke, considering there are a bunch of e92's on the road now and it seems that mine was the only one with problems. Thanks also to all of you for the kind words and support. I will let you all know when it is complete.
Old 09-07-06 | 07:10 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krookid
Krookid, I would like to hear your comparrison between the 350 and 335. Sorry about your troubles but would be curious to get your opinion.
Old 09-07-06 | 11:59 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

335 seems very nice... a review/comparison would be awsome
Old 09-08-06 | 12:25 AM
krookid
Driver

OK here is the comparison, keep in mind I only put 400km's on my 335i.

The 335i is a better overall driving expierienc. The handling is phenominal, and the road feedback is fantastic. The power of the car is overwhelming, not saying the IS is a weak performer in this category, but the 335 is just a different feeling, different=better. The fit and finish is top notch, no gaps like in my IS, also no rattles( I had rattles in the IS since day one, and they got worse progressively) All functions and controls are at your finger tips and are easy to operate in the 335, the lex also has a very good layout. The BMW just gives that " I am driving" feeling something the Lex is short on.

All in all they are both good cars and even with the problem I expierienced with the BMW, I do not regret my decsion one little bit. I would say the BMW 335i is hands down a better overall car, and that is mostly because of the real feeling of a driving expierience you get while operating it. Honestly these cars are different animals completely, the Lex being a cat and the BMW being a Lion. Both viiehicles have similar traits,the BMW just satisfy's my need for a driving expierience, the LEx just kinda feels tame in comparison.

When the 335i sedan comes out, if it is (and imo it will be) like the coupe, Lexus will suffer in the sales department for sure. I can only say don't go test drive a 335i unless you are in the market for a new car, because it will be the longest ride home you will ever expierience, and every day you will long for the 335i.

My engine blew up in 400kms, and I would still highly recomend the car. I am not taking anything away from lexus, its just if the IS350 is intended as a serious 3 series competitor, it needs to step up its game, because the 335i blows it out of the water.

This is just my opinion, but as more and more people step into the 335i, I am sure you will end up hearing very similar stories, just hopefully it won't include engine replacements LOL!!
Old 09-08-06 | 12:37 AM
LSs1Power
Driver School Candidate

Why did you engine blow up? Missed a shift?
Old 09-08-06 | 05:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

it doesnt seem like the dealer knows yet, could be a head gasket
Old 09-08-06 | 07:01 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Thanks for the write up krookid, I think... Now you got me wanting to go back to BMW.
Old 09-08-06 | 07:04 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

I'd wait for the new M3...
Old 09-08-06 | 07:26 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

I'll wait for the new is500 and m3
Old 09-08-06 | 07:40 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by viettho
I'll wait for the new is500 and m3
touche.....
Old 09-08-06 | 07:55 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shoei
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=163972&page=6

The purposed deal I got from BMW was this: Now I go into sign on this tomorrow so if something changes, I will make the appropriate corrections.

I will be receiving $3000.00 cash for my woes and they will be re-placing the engine and all of the in car electronics, and any other effected area, including exhaust etc. They have given a time line of no more than 60 days to have this completed, and a provision in the agreement is that if for some reason it takes more than 60 days , I will receive $50.00 per day untill complete. I am satisfied with this arangement. The manager also said that the engine was already on the way and could be here in as little as 2 weeks and then a few days for install so with a little luck, I may have my car back just in time to park it for winter(sarcasim intended). I have to say though that I was treated with respect, and made feel like this situation was important to them, and I was just not some guy with a car problem. Best of luck to all of you that have made the 335i leap of faith, and I still strongly suspect that this was just a fluke, considering there are a bunch of e92's on the road now and it seems that mine was the only one with problems. Thanks also to all of you for the kind words and support. I will let you all know when it is complete.
to BMW to step up and make a customer happy when things go wrong. I also hope this was just a fluke.
Old 09-08-06 | 08:14 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I test drove a 335i two weeks ago and though the handling was good the
interior was not. The placement of the Nav and its controls was very
awkward and the seats not as comfortable. I'm also not crazy about the
twin-turbo solution. Overall I left the demo disappointed.
I did like new look of the coupe but that was about it.
I am extremely pleased with the 2007 IS350 I picked up last week.
I have not found a single flaw in my car. Not even a single rattle or squeek.
400 miles and crusing................
I now know it was the better choice for sure.
Old 09-08-06 | 09:33 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
I test drove a 335i two weeks ago and though the handling was good the
interior was not. The placement of the Nav and its controls was very
awkward and the seats not as comfortable. I'm also not crazy about the
twin-turbo solution. Overall I left the demo disappointed.
I did like new look of the coupe but that was about it.
I am extremely pleased with the 2007 IS350 I picked up last week.
I have not found a single flaw in my car. Not even a single rattle or squeek.
400 miles and crusing................
I now know it was the better choice for sure.
I wonder if the 2007 IS have less rattles/squeaks than the 2006? I mean, each model year is usually a bit better, always small improvements in fit and finish, but it seems like the 2006 people complain a lot about squeaks and rattles, especially for a brand like Lexus...

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)