IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 10:01 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I mean, each model year is usually a bit better, always small improvements in fit and finish
Do you know that for a fact? If they improved fit and finish on a car every year, then the cars would never squeek or rattle.

Sometimes a mfg will improve upon fit and finish problems if it's something with significant issues. But I seriously doubt that Toyota engineers spend their days finding ways to close gaps and improve finish for the next model year. That's usually reserved for top-to-bottom redesigns, which itself introduces all sorts of new fit-and-finish problems...
Old 09-08-06, 10:02 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I wonder if the 2007 IS have less rattles/squeaks than the 2006? I mean, each model year is usually a bit better, always small improvements in fit and finish, but it seems like the 2006 people complain a lot about squeaks and rattles, especially for a brand like Lexus...
I formed my own top 10 most repeated problems/complaints I have read
about the last 5 months in the 2nd gen forum. I have been comparing
it to my car for its first 400 miles and so far it literally has zero of them.
I know this is how it should be with a Lexus but probably not the real world.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues.
Old 09-08-06, 10:05 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
I formed my own top 10 most repeated problems/complaints I have read
about the last 5 months in the 2nd gen forum. I have been comparing
it to my car for its first 400 miles and so far it literally has zero of them.
I know this is how it should be with a Lexus but probably not the real world.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues.
That's good to hear. Keep us updated as you put on the miles...
Old 09-08-06, 12:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Do you know that for a fact? If they improved fit and finish on a car every year, then the cars would never squeek or rattle.

Sometimes a mfg will improve upon fit and finish problems if it's something with significant issues. But I seriously doubt that Toyota engineers spend their days finding ways to close gaps and improve finish for the next model year. That's usually reserved for top-to-bottom redesigns, which itself introduces all sorts of new fit-and-finish problems...
You should login to TIS and check out some of the TSBs. I really think they do take rattles and squeeks very seriously. Imagine a TSB for a dash noise that requires removing the dashpad and installing improved padding at the mount points to eliminate a noise. I don't know if you've removed a dash before, but I've done it enough times to know it's the very last thing I want to do to fix a rattle or squeek, and that's doing it for myself. They're paying a pretty hefty flat rate for that job.
Old 09-08-06, 01:02 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You should login to TIS and check out some of the TSBs. I really think they do take rattles and squeeks very seriously. Imagine a TSB for a dash noise that requires removing the dashpad and installing improved padding at the mount points to eliminate a noise. I don't know if you've removed a dash before, but I've done it enough times to know it's the very last thing I want to do to fix a rattle or squeek, and that's doing it for myself. They're paying a pretty hefty flat rate for that job.
If a $.25 piece of felt placed where needed saves a 1 hour of a dealership's tech's time... It's well worth it to take these issues/rattles seriously and implement the fixes. Fewer annoying issues/rattles for the customer that may be hard to replicate = higher customer loyalty.
Old 09-08-06, 04:19 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

The one there was silver/gray but I can only imagine how stunning how great it would look in black. Pictures do it no justice.
I am finding that most newer cars with these sharp creases and high beltlines look much better in dark colors. Some older cars look very good in white but I have not liked any newer BMW or Lexus I have seen in lighter colors.
Old 09-08-06, 08:22 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

I had a 330ci on the E46 platform. That was the best car I had owned. It was a blast to drive, was fun to mod and was even better to keep clean! The car drove great and it never gave me any problems. I was extremely satisfied with my 330ci.

The 335i however is a totally different story. I cannot stand the look of that car in comparison to the E46 platform. The rear has been uglified and the front has been so rounded and is losing that traditional BMW look from the front. The interior looks great, the layout is nice, however I do miss the MPG gauge in the cluster (again, losing BMW tradition). iDrive is on the car, which is a huge turn off.

Overall, I chose the IS because BMW's new coupe and sedan (3 series) just doesn't do it for me. The style has been ruined from the old style look of BMW, and that's carried over to the 5 series too. The 7 series looks great I think, but even after that first came out in 2002 (or 2003), it took BMW 3 to 4 years to get it correct so that it was palletable for people. Lexus's styling has become something that I am a huge fan of and really, really like. The IS and the GS have been top on my list for best designed sedans for the price. On top of that, I am a gadget person, and the amount of gadgets in the car suits me perfectly.

Thumbs down for me on the 335i.

Last edited by RyanDe680; 09-08-06 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 08:32 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

I stopped by the BMW dealer today just to check out the 335 but I stopped short of a test drive. I seem to want to buy any car I sit in and I didn't want to take a hit on this IS350 I had for only 2 weeks. This is the 3rd car purchased in 17 months, I got to stop doing this! Can you say mid-life crisis?
Old 09-08-06, 08:45 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_

Supposidly the GS has been improved as far as rattles are concerned
Old 09-23-06, 01:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Would you have gotten 335i instead if it was avaliable a year ago?

So there are a lot of threads about BMW 335i (E90 and E92) lately on clublexus. I am just curious that if you were to given a choice of 335i when you were getting IS350, would you have still gotten IS350? or opt for 335i?

Just a friendly poll.
Old 09-23-06, 01:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

No.

But, start a poll if you want to take a poll.
Old 09-23-06, 01:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

No.

But, start a poll if you want to take a poll.

Yes sir. I just added a poll option up there.
Old 09-23-06, 01:38 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
Yes sir. I just added a poll option up there.
Better poll will be once the new M3 comes out
Old 09-23-06, 01:45 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Better poll will be once the new M3 comes out
accually it wouldnt be.. apples and oranges
Old 09-23-06, 01:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SPEED&ECO.
accually it wouldnt be.. apples and oranges
Not for me, it would be a tough decision actually... Japanese top of the line electronics and reliability vs german handling and more power. I'd probably do the M3, but who knows... Gotta drive it when it comes out to be 100% sure that I could live with it as a daily driver...

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)