IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 01:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It is also interesting that many of the 335i voters (such as yourself) do not even have an IS350 and are skewing the results of the poll .

I count at least six of those that voted for the 335i (established members that I know for certain do not have an IS350 unless they've never posted about it and their profiles do not reflect it) that should have selected the 'third option'. This poll is clearly for current IS350 owners who would select differently.

The 335i appears to be a fine car with impressive performance. I'd personally wait and see longer term reliability on this model before I would throw it in the hat with the IS350 (or even the 330i) unless I was leasing short term.
For what it's worth, I did not vote because I don't own either one...
Old 09-26-06, 01:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
For what it's worth, I did not vote because I don't own either one...
Yep. I can actually look and see who voted 'behind the scenes' on polls that are not public. You weren't counted in my comments

Even taking out the incorrect voters, I do recognize it's still a significant number of folks that would have a different decision to make, but that's normal anytime a new model with new features or performance is announced.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-26-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-26-06, 01:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove the IS 350 a few weeks ago and loved it...it is one of my top choices for a new car.
Old 09-26-06, 02:41 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is on a lexus forum.. i wonder what the majority of people would say..
Old 09-26-06, 03:03 PM
Swordfish
Rookie

And last I checked I could lease a 335i for 24 months for $529/month w/ about zero down. And that's less than I've ever seen the IS go for.

Same reason I went with my A4, really... 389 month including taxes, 15k miles a year, zero down, all maintenance, and only a 24 month lease. I would have paid 50% more to lease an IS250 and it wouldn't have been as fun to beat on, either.

Ya, i've decided to go with a 24 month lease on this car. zero comes comes out to a bit more than $529 a month, but still cheaper than the IS350 on a lease stand point.

I should be picking up mid october.
Old 09-26-06, 03:14 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I'd absolutely get the 335i over the IS350 if it were a lease and if the 335i were offered for the same or less lease price than the IS350. Why? Because Lexus reliability goes out the window when it's a lease - who cares? I'll beat the **** out of it for 24 months and move on. I don't care about a little glitch here or there or if the turbos blow up at 60k miles or whatever else I would normally care about if I bought it.

And last I checked I could lease a 335i for 24 months for $529/month w/ about zero down. And that's less than I've ever seen the IS go for.

Same reason I went with my A4, really... 389 month including taxes, 15k miles a year, zero down, all maintenance, and only a 24 month lease. I would have paid 50% more to lease an IS250 and it wouldn't have been as fun to beat on, either.
I dunno if Lexus reliability completely "goes out the window" on shorter-term leases... I read on a couple forums that people with brand new A4's and S4's were having significant problems with their cars... A few people even reported that the car simply would not start and had to be towed - this is during the first year of ownership. I'm not saying that this is common... But I still think there are benefits to increased reliability, even over a 2-3 year time horizon. Knowing that your car is less likely to break, and that you are less likely to have to spend your time getting it fixed, is always worth something, at least to me.
Old 09-26-06, 03:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swordfish
Ya, i've decided to go with a 24 month lease on this car. zero comes comes out to a bit more than $529 a month, but still cheaper than the IS350 on a lease stand point.

I should be picking up mid october.

Oh I just checked it and it was 36 months for $529+tax. That's also with 2500 down, but that is assuming it is sold at MSRP. If I can get it for 2500 off MSRP (not gonna happen right now but then again I have another year on the Audi lease anyway) then I'm pretty sure I can... so 529/month + tax with zero down seems very plausible to me.

What rates are you looking at?
Old 09-26-06, 03:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
I dunno if Lexus reliability completely "goes out the window" on shorter-term leases... I read on a couple forums that people with brand new A4's and S4's were having significant problems with their cars... A few people even reported that the car simply would not start and had to be towed - this is during the first year of ownership. I'm not saying that this is common... But I still think there are benefits to increased reliability, even over a 2-3 year time horizon. Knowing that your car is less likely to break, and that you are less likely to have to spend your time getting it fixed, is always worth something, at least to me.

Yes, if the car made a habit of breaking down and leaving me stranded, that would be a problem, but I have yet to hear of that happening, really... not saying it doesn't, but I'd say the odds of it happening to me are pretty low.

Not to mention it's just a call to Audi 24 hour roadside assistance and I should be setup with a free hotel (if I need one), loaner car, and get my car taken to the nearest dealer.

Still not the most ideal situation to be in, but again, the odds are very low. So far this car has been to the dealer twice. Once for a squeeky seat that was very loud and annoyed me, and once for the 5000 mile maintenance.

If I *owned* this car, or even a Lexus for that matter, I can assure you I'd have made more trips to the dealer, because I'm OCD. But when I lease, I'm relieved, mostly, of that OCD nature of mine because I don't care.

And believe me - the number of rattles and noises coming from this A4 would put me in the looney bin if I didn't have it at the dealer every other week or just end up selling it. But I have no problem laughing and ignoring them since I don't own it.
Old 09-26-06, 05:07 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i have three audi story..
1) A friends clutch all of a sudden shut down with the car on the freeway. Yes it had to get towed. Don't know what happened after that.
2) 1/2 year ago i saw a nice TT stuck on the middle of the freeway. He had the top down on his cell phone in a very hot summer day. I'm guessing some electrical problem. He was literally stuck right smack in the middle.
3) Family friend bought audi and left her lexus... she lost so much money with repairs... guess where she went back to~~~ = )
Old 09-26-06, 05:22 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, I thought I had voted. Any way, I voted to keep the IS. I dont currently own an IS350, as my old IS350 is sold and I am waiting for a new one.

Anyway, the fact that the lease deals are more favorable on the BMW is a very good point. If the prices were the same on a lease. It would be a great deal for those who are using price as a reason that the IS is the one to choose. Of course this only matter to those who will lease.

I would take the IS regardless. The style fo the 3 series interior(and exterior, but I still like the exterior) is not my cup of tea. Though I know I would perfer the driving experience.
Old 09-26-06, 05:51 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
...I swore I'd never own another BMW until the reliability went up. Problem is I miss the feel of driving the BMW and the reliability is bettter than my old E36...
Just curious, I owned a E36 coupe, what makes you feel that the reliability is significantly better ? I plan on keeping the IS for at least 6yrs/80k miles, and am not confident at all that the 335i/is can match that w/out any major repairs . . .
Old 09-26-06, 05:55 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350

No question, Is350. They (german auto companies) still have problems with electronics
Old 09-26-06, 06:28 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

You guys seen on dragtimes.com 2 runs done with the 335i? Pretty impressive. Both 13.6's@ 104 and 105mph.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html
Old 09-26-06, 07:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

euro doesnt have too many mechanical issues, main bulk of their issues are electronics, thats how its been for the past decade
Old 09-26-06, 07:40 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

the 335 is available in 2 dr and manual. its a true drivers car. i bought a lexus but if i had to make the same type of decision today, id go with the bimmer. 4 drs and automatic aint cutting it for me anymore and its only been 6 months. i cant imagine living with this for the next 6 years.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)