IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 06:40 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I struggled with this decision before deciding to place an order last week on an IS350. I'm getting rid of my '01 Jetta for it. My reason for doing so is because my new wife can't drive stick. The Jetta is otherwise a great car.

Anywho, other cars I considered: G35, 335i, S4, M3, TL, Evo X (apparently it's going to have an automated clutch), CLK500. Without going into detail as to why each car besides the 335 wasn't for me, I will say that my priorities were comfort, reliability, quickness, features.

Drove the 335. Yes, it's quick. Drove the IS350 right after...according to my good friend the butt dyno, it felt just as quick. Since I was limited to the automatic Bimmer, I was forced to compare slushboxes, and the Lexus' felt better. Much better, actually. As previously mentioned, the IS didn't have rev-matching on the manually-initiated downshifts, but I felt the transmission was sophisticated enough that I'd never touch the paddles in any case. Performance aside, the Lexus got better fuel economy (I think, anyway), was cheaper, was cheaper to insure, had far, far better interior features (e.g. touch screen nav, better sound system), and was better looking (IMHO). A no-brainer.

Now, before you write off my amateur review as being too luxury-oriented, I should mention my other car is a Lotus Elise...and for anyone who's had the pleasure, this is one of the most raw driving experiences you can have...no power steering, over 100 db interior noise at WOT (w/ intake/exhaust ), absolutely no luxury features, A/C sucks, uncomfortable, etc. And the one thing I realize after driving it for a year (and a few tickets) is that...honestly, how often do you drive a car at its absolute limit? How often will a 4.9 second 0-60 car do you any better than one that does 5.3? Sure, if this was going to be a track car, I'd feel otherwise. Then again, if I wanted a track-first, street-second car, it'd be an Evo.

In conclusion, sure, the 335 is quicker on paper, and for sure the tuning potential is a good amount better (just ask any B5 S4 owner). But I honestly feel that the primary reasons people think the 335 is a superior car are the perceived performance edge that reading the numbers on the BMW in magazine (keep in mind what it takes to get a good launch with an automatic as opposed to a manual...I'm sure the auto BMW would not be any faster than the IS, if that), and the BMW name. Sure, you can argue marginal differences in stats as R&T posted as opposed to C&D, but in the end, unless I was planning to race tuned WRX's at every stoplight every time I took the car out, I fail to see the advantage that the BMW holds over the Lexus.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-27-06, 06:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Irishfan
I struggled with this decision before deciding to place an order last week on an IS350. I'm getting rid of my '01 Jetta for it. My reason for doing so is because my new wife can't drive stick. The Jetta is otherwise a great car.

Anywho, other cars I considered: G35, 335i, S4, M3, TL, Evo X (apparently it's going to have an automated clutch), CLK500. Without going into detail as to why each car besides the 335 wasn't for me, I will say that my priorities were comfort, reliability, quickness, features.

Drove the 335. Yes, it's quick. Drove the IS350 right after...according to my good friend the butt dyno, it felt just as quick. Since I was limited to the automatic Bimmer, I was forced to compare slushboxes, and the Lexus' felt better. Much better, actually. As previously mentioned, the IS didn't have rev-matching on the manually-initiated downshifts, but I felt the transmission was sophisticated enough that I'd never touch the paddles in any case. Performance aside, the Lexus got better fuel economy (I think, anyway), was cheaper, was cheaper to insure, had far, far better interior features (e.g. touch screen nav, better sound system), and was better looking (IMHO). A no-brainer.

Now, before you write off my amateur review as being too luxury-oriented, I should mention my other car is a Lotus Elise...and for anyone who's had the pleasure, this is one of the most raw driving experiences you can have...no power steering, over 100 db interior noise at WOT (w/ intake/exhaust ), absolutely no luxury features, A/C sucks, uncomfortable, etc. And the one thing I realize after driving it for a year (and a few tickets) is that...honestly, how often do you drive a car at its absolute limit? How often will a 4.9 second 0-60 car do you any better than one that does 5.3? Sure, if this was going to be a track car, I'd feel otherwise. Then again, if I wanted a track-first, street-second car, it'd be an Evo.

In conclusion, sure, the 335 is quicker on paper, and for sure the tuning potential is a good amount better (just ask any B5 S4 owner). But I honestly feel that the primary reasons people think the 335 is a superior car are the perceived performance edge that reading the numbers on the BMW in magazine (keep in mind what it takes to get a good launch with an automatic as opposed to a manual...I'm sure the auto BMW would not be any faster than the IS, if that), and the BMW name. Sure, you can argue marginal differences in stats as R&T posted as opposed to C&D, but in the end, unless I was planning to race tuned WRX's at every stoplight every time I took the car out, I fail to see the advantage that the BMW holds over the Lexus.

Sorry for the long post.
Very well said!

I am sure you are going to love the IS350.
Old 09-27-06, 06:56 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Thanks! This situation more or less mirrors all the people I have who come up to me and tell me how a Corvette's faster than a Lotus...
Old 09-28-06, 02:06 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishfan
Thanks! This situation more or less mirrors all the people I have who come up to me and tell me how a Corvette's faster than a Lotus...
Irishfan - Ditto to each of your points. There is that thing called realworld everyday drive ability that automagazines and whatnot tend to leave out of these so called evaluations.

Track car first/driver second = Evo, that was classic. I feel sorry for those that buy this type of vehicle with track in mind. The IS, nor any car in this field, sold as is from the dealership were intended to be such.

Thank you for portraying, in writing, the sentiments of many an owner on this board. Enjoy the pursuit of Lexus' idea of perfection.
Old 09-28-06, 06:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Better poll will be once the new M3 comes out
I don't think they'll sell many at the price they're gonna ask
Old 09-29-06, 11:20 PM
TracerHawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by menech
I agree with most of the posts here.

If the BMW retains all the driving ability and feel of the current 3 series with the turbo engine it will be great to drive.

The Lexus will still have better fit and finish as well as options. If you configure the BMW with comparable options to the IS350 your total price will be higher so Lexus win there.

I would rather drive my Lexus everyday in comfort and have good speed and a descent handling car that I know I can keep 4+ years.

Look on this forum, for a 1st year production run the amount of problems (serious or minor) are very low. Compare that to the BMW forums and you'll see a whole seperate world. But I think part of the culture of owning a BMW is dealing with these types of issues in exchange for a "real" sports sedan.

You really can't go wrong with either. They might be both classified as sports sedans but they are on opposite sides of the spectrum for lux daily driver and drivers car.
I agree with Menech. Both cars are great, cant go wrong with either. BMW to me is better performance, better handling, sportier. Lexus to me is better interior, better reliability, probably better ride. IMO, BMW is more on the performance/handling side with Lexus being more on the luxury/comfort side. I think the BMW would be inherently more fun to drive on a daily basis, but the Lexus more reliable if you are planning on keeping it several years.

Both amazing cars though.
Old 09-30-06, 12:17 AM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
I don't think they'll sell many at the price they're gonna ask
A preliminary price sheet leaked and it wasn't much more than the current M3 ($53K). C&D made mention of this and agreed that it wasn't going to start in the $60-70K range as was once rumored.
Old 09-30-06, 12:27 AM
Samanator
Rookie

Do you really want a first generation turbo from BMW? Plus it is butt ugly.
Old 09-30-06, 01:06 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Samanator
Do you really want a first generation turbo from BMW? Plus it is butt ugly.
I usually get rid of cars before the warranty period is out, I don't mind at all when the car is at the dealer for warranty work, I love ragging out loaner cars
Old 09-30-06, 02:41 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daveortega
A preliminary price sheet leaked and it wasn't much more than the current M3 ($53K). C&D made mention of this and agreed that it wasn't going to start in the $60-70K range as was once rumored.
Wow, that is hard to believe but if it is true I might have to skip the 335i and think about getting the M3. Even though I hope the lower price is true, I still think you probably wont be walking out the dealer with an M3 for anything under $60K.
Old 09-30-06, 02:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
I usually get rid of cars before the warranty period is out, I don't mind at all when the car is at the dealer for warranty work, I love ragging out loaner cars
I agree. Well, not that I would want my car in for warranty work all the time, but I haven't keep any of my cars for longer than 5 years so if I buy new I'm not really worried about long term reliability. If I'm in the used car market though I would definately be thinking about it I don't know what it is. Everytime I buy a new car I say I'll keep this one for a long time. It never turned out that way. I've only owned 11 cars and none made it past the 5 year mark. The 2 Lexus car I have now I'm planning on selling at the end of this year or early next year. That would be about 4 years of ownership on my 04 RX330 (Bought April 2003).
Old 09-30-06, 11:46 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree. Well, not that I would want my car in for warranty work all the time, but I haven't keep any of my cars for longer than 5 years so if I buy new I'm not really worried about long term reliability. If I'm in the used car market though I would definately be thinking about it I don't know what it is. Everytime I buy a new car I say I'll keep this one for a long time. It never turned out that way. I've only owned 11 cars and none made it past the 5 year mark. The 2 Lexus car I have now I'm planning on selling at the end of this year or early next year. That would be about 4 years of ownership on my 04 RX330 (Bought April 2003).
Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti... they're all basically in my back yard, less than a half mile drive for me. I actually plan road trips around warranty work. I'll specifically ask for friday appointment, knowing that they won't finish until monday at the soonest or more likely tuesday. Then I take a nice long road trip that weekend in the loaner In fact, I'm a little disappointed the IS350 has been so darn reliable
Old 09-30-06, 01:24 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
BMW did turbocharging over 30 years ago.

Also, I came across a black 335 coupe yesterday, beautiful car!
it was diesel
Old 10-02-06, 01:33 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I probably would have test driven it, but I don't think I would have paid the price. Moreover iDrive SUCKS and I wanted navigation.
Old 10-03-06, 09:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

navigation can come on the 335 I believe the interface on the BMW build site is kinda strange, like some other in car interface we all know and love

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)