IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 07:08 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashsim
You can only choose LT or ST, not both. Your total should be lower by $3000 + tax.
Thank you for pointing that out! I updated the total. The price just got a whole lot better. It sure seems like alot more bang for the buck.
Old 12-18-06, 07:14 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is949
I have read nothing but problems with the eletronics in the BMW
Can you share what those problems are? I'm evidently not hearing the same things that you are.
Old 12-18-06, 07:16 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are getting the car at invoice price?
Old 12-18-06, 07:19 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't understand the mindset where it's acceptable for BMWs to be in the shop, "because it's a BMW". I've noticed the same thing too.

However, if you're avoiding a BMW because you think it's going to be totally unreliable, you should pay a little less attention to the message boards. And if you think the IS is going to be problem-free, likewise, you should pay a little less attention to the message boards. I've actually had more real problems (not talking about squeeks and rattles) with my IS than I ever did with the BMWs I've owned. And I only have 7000 miles on the IS right now.

Most people have a perfectly reliable ownership experience with the BMWs, rarely going to the dealership for anything but the free maintenance. It's not until you get into the higher miles that you're more likely to start seeing expensive problems, and they're more common with the models that are laden with silly electronic features, like the 6 and 7 series. Which is why I never keep a BMW (or any car for that matter) outside of the warranty period.

Most importantly here, there is a difference between the IS and the 335i that shouldn't be ignored, and that's the driving experience. If what you care about is being shuttled around in a stale, lifeless cocoon, then the IS is your car. But if you drive your car because you enjoy it, you'll want to reconsider the BMW.
I'll take technology that works and an interior that looks like it was designed with in 5 years. There were more than few people having trouble with the new run flat tires crapping out or getting noisy with low miles. You cant really even go back to regular tires unless you want to give up trunk space.

I wanted to be a brand snob I suppose but there were just too many cons to justify the BMW. The forums really put a bad taste in my mouth when the openly admited that they arent known for reliablity and even said its normal for a new car to be in the shop 3 times in the first year.

Perhaps I'll change my mind after driving some other cars but I guess I'm just not in to the "experance" as much as some others are.
Old 12-18-06, 07:22 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
You are getting the car at invoice price?
No, not exactly, I havent even sent this out yet but on my offer sheet I have added up all the Invoice options and then placed a line item for dealer profit (currently set to $750). It's called the "rizzo-methood". You fax our your clear cut offer to a few dealers and start from there.
Old 12-18-06, 07:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

The navigation and stereo on the 335i was ****, I am hoping that the IS350 will be better today when I drive it.
You'll find that Japanese electronics (specifically the nav system) are always YEARS ahead of everyone else, especially the germans... It's the price you pay to have german engineering... You must give up the electronic advancements for the mechanical advantages (handling)...

Man, I remember my buddy got his E46 M3 about 1 month before mine and was SO pissed at the nav system that he had it removed about 1 month after I got mine and had an aftermarket one put in... German NAVs really are worthless... Do they still use Blauplunkt exclusively? Such a shame...
Old 12-18-06, 07:26 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

No, not exactly, I havent even sent this out yet but on my offer sheet I have added up all the Invoice options and then placed a line item for dealer profit (currently set to $750). It's called the "rizzo-methood". You fax our your clear cut offer to a few dealers and start from there.
Start it with $0 dealer profit then

Remember, they get 2% holdback... Which is good money...
Old 12-18-06, 07:30 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Start it with $0 dealer profit then

Remember, they get 2% holdback... Which is good money...
Maybe your right

I'm thinking about adding this:

PS Lexus Pre-Collision System w/Dynamic Cruise Control

Can any one comment on this system? is it worth it?
Old 12-18-06, 07:31 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

There were more than few people having trouble with the new run flat tires crapping out or getting noisy with low miles.
I haven't heard that. Well, fortunately you can't blame BMW for the tires (but you can blame them for using RFT's!!).
Old 12-18-06, 07:36 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Maybe your right

I'm thinking about adding this:

PS Lexus Pre-Collision System w/Dynamic Cruise Control

Can any one comment on this system? is it worth it?
It's expensive... There are a few people on the board that have it, I'll let them comment on it firsthand... But personally I think the best feature is that it will save you from rear-ending someone if you are not paying attention... It's a Pre-Collision System, first and foremost... Remember, Lexus is about safety... But they are going to charge you for it, lol...

I'd recommend you try and find a car that you can get without special ordering... The Lexus special order process is HORRIBLE...and takes 3-5 months (usually 4 months) but you get NO UPDATES at all during the process until after your car is built and on a boat to the USA... It's a nightmare... Completely the opposite experience of the BMW special ordering process, which is a dream...
Old 12-18-06, 07:37 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ff_
I haven't heard that. Well, fortunately you can't blame BMW for the tires (but you can blame them for using RFT's!!).

The blame is that they force you have them and do not provide room for a spare regualar tire.

Read here (this is just ONE of the few forums with PLENTY of people having problems with the RFT's) 654 posts:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efceb01/0

You havent heard it because you havent done the real research on these things. I realize that most people wouldnt join a board to say everything is working fine but there are more than enough bad things being said by alot of people. Also from the attitute of the fanboys you get the impression that yes it is normal but you should deal with it because hey your driving a BMW!!! I'm just not THAT in to driving to sacrafice in the other places.

Last edited by is949; 12-18-06 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 07:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
However, if you're avoiding a BMW because you think it's going to be totally unreliable, you should pay a little less attention to the message boards. And if you think the IS is going to be problem-free, likewise, you should pay a little less attention to the message boards. I've actually had more real problems (not talking about squeeks and rattles) with my IS than I ever did with the BMWs I've owned. And I only have 7000 miles on the IS right now.
To properly assess reliability data, one should look at the data presented in owner surveys, such as the one in the (April, I think?) "auto issue" of Consumer Reports. Regardless of what you think of CR's editorial content, the reliability survey is an unbiased and statistically significant poll of owners.

If what you care about is being shuttled around in a stale, lifeless cocoon, then the IS is your car. But if you drive your car because you enjoy it, you'll want to reconsider the BMW.
You really don't like your IS, do you? If you really feel that way, why haven't you sold it and bought another BMW? Life is too short to drive a car that makes you so miserable.
Old 12-18-06, 07:39 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

It's expensive... There are a few people on the board that have it, I'll let them comment on it firsthand... But personally I think the best feature is that it will save you from rear-ending someone if you are not paying attention... It's a Pre-Collision System, first and foremost... Remember, Lexus is about safety... But they are going to charge you for it, lol...

I'd recommend you try and find a car that you can get without special ordering... The Lexus special order process is HORRIBLE...and takes 3-5 months (usually 4 months) but you get NO UPDATES at all during the process until after your car is built and on a boat to the USA... It's a nightmare... Completely the opposite experience of the BMW special ordering process, which is a dream...
Aww, the time doesnt bug me but no updates??? Yikes that sucks. Can you comment on if my options are commonly available? I thought I read that its hard to even find ML and Nav's.
Old 12-18-06, 07:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

IS949: FYI, ff_ is a BMW fanboy/troll, so don't even bother...

Old 12-18-06, 07:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Aww, the time doesnt bug me but no updates??? Yikes that sucks. Can you comment on if my options are commonly available? I thought I read that its hard to even find ML and Nav's.
Yes, NO UPDATES... The only update you get is when it's being delivered to the USA, after the VIN has been issued and it's on a boat... Check my website in my sig... You'll see the special order process...

Also, as far as what option are commonly available, it all goes by region... So, go to lexus.com and do "build your IS"... when you put in your zip, it will show the options combos commonly available.... I don't think PCS is ever allocated to any region, but I could be wrong... The best thing is to call around to a few dealerships and ask... do this before sending out your emails... Here's why...

If your car, with the options you want, is indeed a special order vehicle for your region, then you will want to clearly state in your email that you know it is a special order and will take 4 months...

And, don't let the dealer pull any crap that a special order costs them more, or anything... It doesn't... In fact, you should get a better deal on a special order since the car will not take any space on their lot...

Keep us posted and good luck!

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)