IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 07:53 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Yes, NO UPDATES... The only update you get is when it's being delivered to the USA, after the VIN has been issued and it's on a boat... Check my website in my sig... You'll see the special order process...

Also, as far as what option are commonly available, it all goes by region... So, go to lexus.com and do "build your IS"... when you put in your zip, it will show the options combos commonly available.... I don't think PCS is ever allocated to any region, but I could be wrong... The best thing is to call around to a few dealerships and ask... do this before sending out your emails... Here's why...

If your car, with the options you want, is indeed a special order vehicle for your region, then you will want to clearly state in your email that you know it is a special order and will take 4 months...

And, don't let the dealer pull any crap that a special order costs them more, or anything... It doesn't... In fact, you should get a better deal on a special order since the car will not take any space on their lot...

Keep us posted and good luck!
Thanks for the tips!

Hey about the stereo is it any good stock? I swore I was done having my car torn apart to install stereo equipment.

Did you have to tear apart your car to add that amp and sub? I wish that they would just put preamp connections and power in the trunks for you at the factory.
Old 12-18-06, 07:56 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Yes, NO UPDATES... The only update you get is when it's being delivered to the USA, after the VIN has been issued and it's on a boat... Check my website in my sig... You'll see the special order process...

Also, as far as what option are commonly available, it all goes by region... So, go to lexus.com and do "build your IS"... when you put in your zip, it will show the options combos commonly available.... I don't think PCS is ever allocated to any region, but I could be wrong... The best thing is to call around to a few dealerships and ask... do this before sending out your emails... Here's why...

If your car, with the options you want, is indeed a special order vehicle for your region, then you will want to clearly state in your email that you know it is a special order and will take 4 months...

And, don't let the dealer pull any crap that a special order costs them more, or anything... It doesn't... In fact, you should get a better deal on a special order since the car will not take any space on their lot...

Keep us posted and good luck!
Hey when they said your car still wasnt allocated, does that mean in dec they still hadnt even started on it?
Old 12-18-06, 07:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by is949
Thanks for the tips!

Hey about the stereo is it any good stock? I swore I was done having my car torn apart to install stereo equipment.

Did you have to tear apart your car to add that amp and sub? I wish that they would just put preamp connections and power in the trunks for you at the factory.
Stereo is good stock, one of the best out there... If you get the Mark Levinson option, then you'll have a GREAT stock system... But, as with all stock systems, the bass is lacking (IMHO)...

Yes, you will have to run a power wire from the battery if you want to add an amp... And in order to get signal, you will need to tap into the stock subwoofer signal connections... No preamp outs...

There is a nice write-up on here by a guy called "cmusic"... It's called "IS Audio System Overview" or something... I believe there is a link to it in the FAQ that is sticky in this forum... There is also a Stock System vs. Mark Levinson post on here which is quite good, and I believe it also talks about the Harman Kardon system in the BMW...

I am taking my car this Friday to the #1 install shop in the area... Maybe a bit of overkill, but they do all the top of the line cars in the area (exotics, and so forth) so the IS350 is trivial for them... They knew everything about it without me even saying a word... So I'll be spending about $400 for the install, but at least it has the best chance of being done correctly... I'll have them take pics and update my website after it's done...
Old 12-18-06, 07:59 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coworker had a 05M3 - or was it an 06...anyways...

The transmission locked up on him twice in the first year- and I have been hearing that the 335s are having problems with the head gaskets as well-

they are great cars dont get me wrong- but get an IS350- add intake/exhaust/springs and the car becomes not so boring anymore to drive-
Old 12-18-06, 08:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The blame is that they force you have them and do not provide room for a spare regualar tire.
I agree. I wish there was a way around it.

Read here (this is just ONE of the few forums with PLENTY of people having problems with the RFT's) 654 posts:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efceb01/0

You havent heard it because you havent done the real research on these things.
Well, I hang out on a BMW bulletin board (even though I own a Lexus), and don't see any trends in people having problems with RFT's, other than not liking the performance, noise, and ride. That's just how RFT's are.

I realize that most people wouldnt join a board to say everything is working fine but there are more than enough bad things being said by alot of people. Also from the attitute of the fanboys you get the impression that yes it is normal but you should deal with it because hey your driving a BMW!!! I'm just not THAT in to driving to sacrafice in the other places.
And that's cool. I just wouldn't let the couple of negative comments sway you from choosing the better vehicle.
Old 12-18-06, 08:01 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Hey when they said your car still wasnt allocated, does that mean in dec they still hadnt even started on it?
They didn't know... Which is the answer you should get used to if you special order... "I don't know"... All they knew was that it wasn't built in November... And that they were "confident" it was to be built in December... But they couldn't even promise me that... It's not the dealer's fault either, it's Lexus in Japan's fault... They don't give any updates to the dealer...
Old 12-18-06, 08:05 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Stereo is good stock, one of the best out there... If you get the Mark Levinson option, then you'll have a GREAT stock system... But, as with all stock systems, the bass is lacking (IMHO)...

Yes, you will have to run a power wire from the battery if you want to add an amp... And in order to get signal, you will need to tap into the stock subwoofer signal connections... No preamp outs...

There is a nice write-up on here by a guy called "cmusic"... It's called "IS Audio System Overview" or something... I believe there is a link to it in the FAQ that is sticky in this forum... There is also a Stock System vs. Mark Levinson post on here which is quite good, and I believe it also talks about the Harman Kardon system in the BMW...

I am taking my car this Friday to the #1 install shop in the area... Maybe a bit of overkill, but they do all the top of the line cars in the area (exotics, and so forth) so the IS350 is trivial for them... They knew everything about it without me even saying a word... So I'll be spending about $400 for the install, but at least it has the best chance of being done correctly... I'll have them take pics and update my website after it's done...

Damn your in DC. If it worked out I'd want to go there as well. I know most of these installer guys dont know anything they just pry and drill to stuff the wires.

I was totally umimpressed with the Logic7 in the BMW, had OK bass but NO trebile not matter how I adjusted it. I'm not holding my breath on the ML since its made by Harmon Kardon just like the Logic7 but I hope I'll be surprised.
Old 12-18-06, 08:07 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
You really don't like your IS, do you? If you really feel that way, why haven't you sold it and bought another BMW? Life is too short to drive a car that makes you so miserable.
I'm really not liking it. It's odd, because I started out liking it just fine. But as things loosened up, and I got used to how the car "feels", I found that it just doesn't do anything for me. I went from someone that would go out of my way and take 15 miles of backroads to buy a gallon milk, just so I could drive, to someone that has zero desire to get behind the wheel. Like the IS has taken all the enthusiasm out of my passion for driving cars.

I am strongly considering listing the IS on eBay, and see what happens.
Old 12-18-06, 08:11 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

IS949: FYI, ff_ is a BMW fanboy/troll, so don't even bother...
Given your criteria, couldn't I just as easily call you a Lexus fanboy/troll? Are your comments pro-Lexus any more valid than my comments pro-BMW? In the end, it's just two anonymous comments by people that prefer one car over another.
Old 12-18-06, 08:13 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

They didn't know... Which is the answer you should get used to if you special order... "I don't know"... All they knew was that it wasn't built in November... And that they were "confident" it was to be built in December... But they couldn't even promise me that... It's not the dealer's fault either, it's Lexus in Japan's fault... They don't give any updates to the dealer...
Damn I just looked at the site and they dont even have any cars with the Sports package NOR do they have a X-Package with ML Navi.
Old 12-18-06, 08:19 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I'm really not liking it. It's odd, because I started out liking it just fine. But as things loosened up, and I got used to how the car "feels", I found that it just doesn't do anything for me. I went from someone that would go out of my way and take 15 miles of backroads to buy a gallon milk, just so I could drive, to someone that has zero desire to get behind the wheel. Like the IS has taken all the enthusiasm out of my passion for driving cars.

I am strongly considering listing the IS on eBay, and see what happens.
Thats because you're driving a 250 and not a 350. If you wanted something more fun to drive then you should've opted for the 350. 102 more hp @ the crank and a stiffer suspension makes a difference. What car did you have before the 250?

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-18-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 08:21 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Thats because your driving a 250 and not a 350. If you wanted something more fun to drive, then you should've opted for the 306hp model and not 204 hp model.
LOL, I was just going to say that. Of course he loves the 335i, it totally smokes his is250.
Old 12-18-06, 08:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Damn I just looked at the site and they dont even have any cars with the Sports package NOR do they have a X-Package with ML Navi.
Call around to some dealers... Maybe you will get lucky like I did... What part of cali are you in? In so cal I believe they build Sport + ML/NAV... So you could get a local dealer to get on from so cal for you...
Old 12-18-06, 08:30 AM
is949
Driver School Candidate

Call around to some dealers... Maybe you will get lucky like I did... What part of cali are you in? In so cal I believe they build Sport + ML/NAV... So you could get a local dealer to get on from so cal for you...
I'm in Orange County so I have a wide array of dealers to choose from: LA, OC, Riverside County even San Diego but my searches in those zip codes yeilded nothing. I guess a dealer would be able to do a more comprehensive search of the area though.
Old 12-18-06, 08:34 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I'm in Orange County so I have a wide array of dealers to choose from: LA, OC, Riverside County even San Diego but my searches in those zip codes yeilded nothing. I guess a dealer would be able to do a more comprehensive search of the area though.
Ya, start calling some dealers and see what you can find...

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)