IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 07:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Belmont
The fact that BMW has decided to use a Mitsubishi turbo for one of their hottest performing vehicles is beyond ironic. It's flat out hilarious!
Having had the relatively bulletproof Mitsubishi turbo on my Eagle Talon, and having had a pair of (did someone sneeze or did my turbos just detonate) German made triple-K K03 turbos on my Audi S4, I'd say someone at BMW deserves a gold star.

By the way, my Audi had lots of Japanese parts, NGK spark plugs, Denso A/C compressor, etc.
Old 12-18-06, 07:42 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it was a wise business decision to do so.

I certainly don't fault them for it. It's further proof that the industry is evolving. I just get annoyed when some of the German enthusiasts snub their nose at other car manufacturers without knowing or realizing what is under their own hood.
Old 12-18-06, 08:07 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey i didn't read every post caused they seemed like they were off topic but,

my older brother just ordered a 335i in montego blue, black interior, and aluminum trim. he didn't get cold weather, but got premium +nav/idrive. the total was about 48-49k, but im hoping to god we don't pay that. he got a coupe. his scheduled delivery was pushed back to around april to may because the factory is closed during december.

i have never driven the car, but when i get the oppurtunity to, i will let you know. btw he ordered 6 speed manual, one of the advantages over the IS350 in my opinion
Old 12-18-06, 08:56 PM
604Lexus
Driver School Candidate

here is my 2cents.

I drive a lexus hybrid but works at bmw. I love how the new IS looks it is just too damn sexy. I have driven IS250 and IS350 hard multiple times. I was able to get on the highway and really rip it hard to see how it performs at high speeds. The car feels very stable but the suspension is a little soft for my liking. The brakes are not as touchy as the previous generation IS300 that I driven. For some reasons I found the paddle shift on IS350 to be rough shifting. It is better to leave the car in Drive and let the car shift by itself. The lexus dealers around my area provide better service than bmw dealers here. Although I am concern at how expensive service was for my hybrid. I pay 400 cdn for my service at 16,000 km. Lexus Canada pays the 1,800 km checkup and the 8,000 km service. Lexus recommends service every 6 months or 8,000 kms. Which is quite different from the german car backgrounds that I came from. Now lets talk about the 335i. The car has more go in every part of the powerband than IS350. The thing just goes after you smash the gas pedal. In fact it has too much power that you break traction when the road is wet out. This issue should be solve when 335xi comes out in march 2007. It's definitely recommended if you plan on chipping the turbos and doing bolt-ons. I love driving the car but I can't stand how it looks inside out. Even the M models don't looks as nice as before. Another note I found steptronic with paddles much smoother than IS350's. It rev match better so you don't feel the jerk as bad. No point comparing manual since IS350 doesn't offer one. If Lexus is serious about going after BMW it should offer a stick on higher performing models not just IS250. So if you want a sporty and luxury car IS350 should be enough. If you want something that's even more involving get the 335i with stick.
Old 12-18-06, 11:34 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove an 06 3 series and was a little baffled as to why they would design it where you would still have to stick the key fob into a slot on the dash, then push the start button. It kinda defeats the purpose of having the push button start.
Old 12-18-06, 11:38 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I test drove an 06 3 series and was a little baffled as to why they would design it where you would still have to stick the key fob into a slot on the dash, then push the start button. It kinda defeats the purpose of having the push button start.
r u sure????it does defeats the purpose
Old 12-19-06, 05:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The German fanboys always point back to the mythical "German Engineering" when backed into a corner. I find the German car crowd to be some of the most narrow minded enthusiasts out there, and more than a few have a hatred towards anything "Japanese".
I LOL'ed when I read this. I mean, really laughed hard. Because the Lexus fanboi's always point back to [perceived] reliability when backed into a corner. And I find the Japanese car crowd to be some of the most narrow minded enthusiasts out there, and more than a few have a hatred towards anything "German". LOL, dude. Seriously.

The fact that BMW has decided to use a Mitsubishi turbo for one of their hottest performing vehicles is beyond ironic. It's flat out hilarious!
Explain? How is that hilarious to outsource a known good part? Every carmaker does it.

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
r u sure????it does defeats the purpose
That's how they get you to pony up an extra $500 for the comfort access option, allowing you to keep the key FOB in your pocket. BMW is great at dinging you for every little option. Even metallic paint is $475 extra. That's one of the things that really bothers me.
Old 12-19-06, 06:24 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. As usual this thread has turned into a BMW vs Lexus, Reliability vs Drive.. Hell it might as well be Black vs White the way you guys are!

Give me a break!

BMW is known for their so called *driving* experience.

Lexus is known for reliability.

Either one or the other. Either you opt for a car that is *fun* to drive, with a pshhhwaaa sound (haha had to do it!), or you go with a car that is known for its reliability!

Talking about dealerships is irrelevant because each one is different.

I'm sorry, one thing I cannot deny is that the IS interior is MUCH better! The quaility of leather, the design.. everything is better. The one thing I wish my IS had was.. a better suspension! Other than that.. its perfect in a straight line, seriously.. how many of you are hauling tail around mountain corners in excess of 50mph? = / Get real. Or just be stupid.

On the other side... Mitsu. turbos is good stuff (when not beat to death!).
Old 12-19-06, 06:47 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Wow. As usual this thread has turned into a BMW vs Lexus
Well, I don't know if you noticed, but the original post was about (get this...) a 3 Series and an IS. And the obvious debate is between [perceived] reliability and fun-to-drive.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate about the two most relevant cars for this subforum. It's only natural.
Old 12-19-06, 06:51 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

+1 on the thread turning into a flame war for no need [thought this was a discussion about strengths/weaknesses between the two cars]. Sounds like a thread from a well known G35 forum; starts out w/good intentions but after 5 posts it's an Assassination attempt. Like most have said here, there is no car that does everything well; that is why you see that a lot of members here [including myself] have other cars - to fulfill what is missing from IS350 or vice-versa. Nevertheless, it sounds like you really dislike the IS350 and I know the feeling - I dumped my G35 for it was a POS IMO and in the eyes of the court. It was the worst ownership I’ve ever had w/a vehicle by far and I’ve owned 16 vehicles so far. So, in the end I dumped it for an IS350.

I drove the IS350, the 335i and the '07 G35s extensively [I had all for several days for evaluation back-to-back]; and yes the 335i is the performance winner, but it certainly does not "Kill" the IS350 either. The biggest put-off of the 335i is the interior; and after getting out of a horrendous Infiniti interior, which I'm sure others can attest to the sub-par nature of Nissan/Infiniti interiors; I was not going to own another vehicle w/a sub-par interior - ever. Again, this is what is important to me: I'm willing to sacrifice performance over refinement where you may not. This is a decision that we all have to make as purchasing a vehicle is always a compromise - no exceptions.

However, if your really not that happy w/your IS then by all means dump the IS and get what you really want - wherever that may be. I like to complain just as much as the next, but all the complaining in the world will not solve the issue - you dislike your IS.

FWIW...

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-19-06 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 06:51 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
Well, I don't know if you noticed, but the original post was about (get this...) a 3 Series and an IS. And the obvious debate is between [perceived] reliability and fun-to-drive.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate about the two most relevant cars for this subforum. It's only natural.
Exactly. It was against the series of cars. Not the brands themselves. = /

Right. Healthy debate. You guys have beat the horse to death already. All I have been reading lately.. is buyers remorse or woulda coulda shoulda!
Old 12-19-06, 06:54 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
All I have been reading lately.. is buyers remorse or woulda coulda shoulda!
Funny, because you never hear comments like that on the BMW message boards.

Old 12-19-06, 07:09 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
Funny, because you never hear comments like that on the BMW message boards.

I'm not sure what BMW forum your on, but the BMW forum that I've participated in the past was just as littered w/dissatisfied owners as this site, just as every other vehicle-specific forum is - so that's not a fair assessment.
Old 12-19-06, 07:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
BMW offers a $500 option called "comfort access" than works like the one in the Lexus and lets you leave the key in your pocket.
Old 12-19-06, 07:36 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLevinson
I'm not sure what BMW forum your on, but the BMW forum that I've participated in the past was just as littered w/dissatisfied owners as this site, just as every other vehicle-specific forum is - so that's not a fair assessment.
That's why I used this smilie at the end of my statement >> <<

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)