IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 07:37 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Funny, because you never hear comments like that on the BMW message boards.

What I find interesting is that many people (maybe it's just many people in my area) think that owning a BMW or Mercedes is the ultimate in life's success. So they put up with any problems without batting an eye. These same people would be losing their minds if they had the same problems in a "lesser" car.

Personally, I like BMWs (like Mercedes too, but they break down too much to actually own another one) and it was a tough choice between the 335i and the IS350. I think the interior of the 335i is nice; I just think the IS350 is nicer. I realize that the 335i is a bit faster and handles better, but the IS350 performs more that adequately. If I was basing my decision solely on performance, I'd just keep my Corvette (or buy a C6 Z06).
Old 12-19-06, 07:45 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
That's why I used this smilie at the end of my statement >> <<
My misunderstanding
Old 12-19-06, 07:56 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by homer4598
What I find interesting is that many people (maybe it's just many people in my area) think that owning a BMW or Mercedes is the ultimate in life's success. So they put up with any problems without batting an eye. These same people would be losing their minds if they had the same problems in a "lesser" car.

Personally, I like BMWs (like Mercedes too, but they break down too much to actually own another one) and it was a tough choice between the 335i and the IS350. I think the interior of the 335i is nice; I just think the IS350 is nicer. I realize that the 335i is a bit faster and handles better, but the IS350 performs more that adequately. If I was basing my decision solely on performance, I'd just keep my Corvette (or buy a C6 Z06).
I concur..everyone in my family owns or has owned a Mercedes. I myself came from a Mercedes E320, that thing was in the shop for repairs 3-4 times a year, which ended up costing over 2-3 grand to upkeep. The car I had in high school (97 toyota avalon) has out lasted every single new vehicle my parents have bought including my new 99 E320. The avalon is still running and serves as a delivery vehicle for our restaurants, the car has accumulated over 270,000 miles and the only major repair we've done was put new struts in. Even to this day, my parents believe that Mercedes is the superior brand. Even though their S500, and ML500 are also in the shop for repairs 3-4 times a year (discounting the regular maintenence). My sister who also converted from Toyota to Mercedes, experienced major reliability issues with her 2003 c230, so she then switched over to a 2004 BMW M3, thinking that BMW may have a better track record (since it's a german built car). It turns out just after 2 years of owning the vehicle, she again makes a switch back to Mercedes. Mainly because the upkeep of the BMW was not worth it. Why she switched back to Mercedes makes no sense, perhaps she believed in this so called rebirth of Mercedes vehicles & their legendary quality and reliability. As for me I have veered from Mercedes, I still love the way the cars look, feel, and make you feel, but I'm not going to spend oodles of cash to maintain that feeling. I can spend way less for a better product..not just lexus vehicles, but other manufacturers as well.

In response to this whole buyer's remorse issue, everyone experiences this feeling. This "buyer's remorse" is called cognitive dissonance, and it occurs when someone makes a big purchase. You start to question your purchase decision. You ask yourself, "Did I spend too much?", "was that other car better?", "Maybe I should've gotten the four wheel drive." The best thing to do is not too think too much, look forward not back.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-19-06 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 08:15 AM
cliverman
Driver

FF - "what you care about is being shuttled around in a stale, lifeless cocoon, then the IS is your car. But if you drive your car because you enjoy it, you'll want to reconsider the BMW."

I think you are on the wrong board. I doubt most IS350 owners believe that the IS350 is a stale, lifeless cocoon.
Old 12-19-06, 08:19 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

I can name many friends and familiy members who have gotten burned on cars. It happens to folks who own Lexus as well as MB, BMW, etc. Every once in a while it happens. However, BMW is above average and the idea that everyone is going to the shop every few months for repairs is a myth.

The best cars I have owned have been Lexus and BMW. Acura was the worst.

I keep hearing that folks with BMW's go to the shop all the time for repairs. I only see this when new technology comes out like the oil sensors or turbos, and people want to be the first on the block to have the cars. As we have seen with the ES350, it is never a good idea to buy the first model year.
Old 12-19-06, 08:30 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliverman
FF - "what you care about is being shuttled around in a stale, lifeless cocoon, then the IS is your car. But if you drive your car because you enjoy it, you'll want to reconsider the BMW."

I think you are on the wrong board. I doubt most IS350 owners believe that the IS350 is a stale, lifeless cocoon.
lol, yes the car was so lifeless that I said, "you know what, I really love this 'I can't tell if I'm driving or if I'm dead feeling,' I'll take it!!! 45k? psshhh take 50K!.
Old 12-19-06, 08:32 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I think this thread needs to be terminated.
Old 12-19-06, 08:38 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I think people should just update their sigs..

For either Choice A or Choice B or Choice C

A. IS350 FTW!
B. Shoulda bought the 335i. Pssshhh
C. Corvette Z06 FTW!

I should really update to choice C, however that just wasn't practical as a daily driver. Hehe
Old 12-19-06, 08:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
However, BMW is above average and the idea that everyone is going to the shop every few months for repairs is a myth.
Look at the Consumer Reports reliability index, or any other poll/survey of actual owner experiences and you'll see that BMW is in fact way below average in reliability.

CR averaged the problem rates from their 2001 through 2005 surveys, to come up with this ranked list of reliability for a 5 year old vehicle from each marque.

Above average (from best to worst):
Lexus, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Infiniti, Subaru, Mazda Mitsubishi, Nissan, Buick, Ford

Below average (again from best to worst):
Mercury, Lincoln, Audi, Hyundai, Saab, BMW, Jeep, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Dodge, GMC, Volvo, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Volkswagen, Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz
Old 12-19-06, 08:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I think this thread needs to be terminated.
You could just stop reading the thread, no?
Old 12-19-06, 09:01 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I can name many friends and familiy members who have gotten burned on cars. It happens to folks who own Lexus as well as MB, BMW, etc. Every once in a while it happens. However, BMW is above average and the idea that everyone is going to the shop every few months for repairs is a myth.

The best cars I have owned have been Lexus and BMW. Acura was the worst.

I keep hearing that folks with BMW's go to the shop all the time for repairs. I only see this when new technology comes out like the oil sensors or turbos, and people want to be the first on the block to have the cars. As we have seen with the ES350, it is never a good idea to buy the first model year.
Oh I agree. My M3 only had one "unscheduled maintenance" in the two years I had it (total instrument cluster failure at 7,000 miles). I think BMWs are fairly reliable. Mercedes on the other hand... Definitely agree with the first model year statement...
Old 12-19-06, 09:10 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
You could just stop reading the thread, no?
Thats the problem..I can't. It's like a black hole, it went from what do you guys think of my offer to the car battle of the century. "no?"
Old 12-19-06, 09:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Oh I agree. My M3 only had one "unscheduled maintenance" in the two years I had it (total instrument cluster failure at 7,000 miles). I think BMWs are fairly reliable. Mercedes on the other hand... Definitely agree with the first model year statement...
My Audi was also a gem in the first two years, with only a couple of minor issues quickly resolved at the dealer.

It wasn't until it was four to five years old (and out of warranty) that it became a money pit, requiring expensive repairs (both scheduled maintenance and things going wrong) every few months.

As I'm fond of saying, "I may own another German car, but I won't own one that isn't under warranty".
Old 12-19-06, 09:13 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Here's the thing about the IS350.

When driven at "regular" speeds/low power, it's a luxury car. Feels closer to a Camry than a BMW. That turns some people off, and contributes to the reputation of the car as being "not sporty".

Put the trans in PWR mode, turn off the stability control and mash the pedal and you get a whole different car. One that leaves any but the newest Vettes behind, handles just as well as any other sport sedan (IMHO).

The key is, you have to push it during its test drive. Make sure you tell your dealer that you intend to do so - I did. Then you'll see what the car is really capable of.
Old 12-19-06, 09:25 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Thats the problem..I can't. It's like a black hole, it went from what do you guys think of my offer to the car battle of the century. "no?"

Welcome to Thunderdome....

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)