IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 09:26 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
My Audi was also a gem in the first two years, with only a couple of minor issues quickly resolved at the dealer.

It wasn't until it was four to five years old (and out of warranty) that it became a money pit, requiring expensive repairs (both scheduled maintenance and things going wrong) every few months.

As I'm fond of saying, "I may own another German car, but I won't own one that isn't under warranty".

That's the same way I feel about my Corvette
Old 12-19-06, 09:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I have to disagree with cdeslandes. If I push the car in a straight line, the torque and acceleration always put a smile on my face. But if I push it in the twisties, the steering just doesn't communicate as well as a BMW (or even a VW Golf R32 for that matter). It has loads of power, and loads of ability, but the lack of feedback robs me of the confidence to push on, and that ultimately makes it less fun-to-drive. I'm alot happier with the IS when driven at 6/10ths, than I am at 8 or 9/10ths.
Old 12-19-06, 09:37 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by homer4598
Welcome to Thunderdome....
love that line from waiting.
Old 12-19-06, 03:54 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

I LOL'ed when I read this. I mean, really laughed hard. Because the Lexus fanboi's always point back to [perceived] reliability when backed into a corner. And I find the Japanese car crowd to be some of the most narrow minded enthusiasts out there, and more than a few have a hatred towards anything "German". LOL, dude. Seriously.
Perceived?

Surely you jest. I have no loyalty towards any brand or type of car. There are lots of German cars that I think are incredible vehicles. I'd love to own an M5, for example, even with all of its flaws. A friend of mine just purchased an RS4 and it's a bad *** ride in almost every way.

But reliability is reliability, there's no explaining it away. If you truly believe that the average German car is just as reliable as the average Japanese car, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Explain? How is that hilarious to outsource a known good part? Every carmaker does it.
Because it's not German engineered?

I personally don't have a problem with it, but it goes back to my original argument about "German Engineering". Clearly, this car is being run on a Japanese turbo. I guess you don't see the irony.
Old 12-19-06, 03:57 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Old 12-19-06, 03:59 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

I really don't.

I just hate the people who drive them.
Old 12-19-06, 05:01 PM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
335 front fenders are plastic, fyi...i just have issues paying MORE for a car with some damn plastic fenders. wtf?
If you want a manual, 335 is the way to go. you go with an automatic, get the IS350.
As for the 250 vs 350, I have had more fun in the 250 b/c the engine needs tons of revving and you have to be in tune with the engine and shift constantly to be in the right power range.
With the 350, power is SO abundant, you can just take off in damn never every gear.
One of the reason no torque Hondas are fun, you have to be involved to make the most of it.

If its not a manual BMW, I cannot endorse it. That is the whole purpose of the brand no? To offer and have you buy something the competiton does not offer. When it comes to automatic BMWs, yes they still do handle slightly better but I will trade that off for the auto Lexus or Benz.....
The automatic on the is350 really sucks. For example, if you give it full throttle in manual mode at 2000rpm what does it do? It downshifts! How lame. Won't hold gears. Do that in the BMW in manual mode and it will hold the gear.
Old 12-19-06, 05:03 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by insider
The automatic on the is350 really sucks. For example, if you give it full throttle in manual mode at 2000rpm what does it do? It downshifts! How lame. Won't hold gears. Do that in the BMW in manual mode and it will hold the gear.
Can't you go into steptronic/manual mode?
Old 12-19-06, 05:13 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Can't you go into steptronic/manual mode?
read the 2nd sentence
Old 12-19-06, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
You make it sound as though the use of composite plastic fenders was a cost savings issue versus the reality of it being a weight savings issue and allowing the 3 Series to maintain it's nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

Back on topic... There is a reason the 3 Series has been on C&D's top 10 cars since 1992 and is the benchmark in which all cars in this class are measured.

Roadfly:

Edmunds:

'Nuff said...
Plastic fenders. On a car that starts at 35k to 50k. Plastic fenders. If it was that big of a weight savings, Ferrari and Porsche would have done it years ago. Clearly not a deal breaker, but c'mon, plastic fenders?
No one is arguing the 3 doesn't deserve its crown, I say it should keep it. Best SPORTS sedan in class.
Old 12-19-06, 08:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by insider
Confused. If your in 2nd gear and floor it at 2000 RPM, guess what, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG GEAR. 2000 RPM in 2nd might be 3000 RPM in 1st, thus the car is kicking down to give you all the power you requested, since you punched the gas.

Won't hold gears? The car is helping you . Now if you said
"I am in 2000 RPM in manual mode and the car always defaults to 6th" that would be not holding a gear.

But if you don't like it, I totally understand.
Old 12-19-06, 08:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
guess what, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG GEAR. ...
Haha, you beat me to it Mike...

Javier
Old 12-19-06, 08:23 PM
The Chad
Driver

I'm also confused, why would you put the foot to the floor and say to yourself "Self, I don't want the full power of the car, even if I put the foot to the floor."
Old 12-19-06, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Haha, you beat me to it Mike...

Javier
Originally Posted by The Chad
I'm also confused, why would you put the foot to the floor and say to yourself "Self, I don't want the full power of the car, even if I put the foot to the floor."

Simple, b/c Lexus sucks and we are all morons for buying one. The audacity to even think it could possibly be sporty!
Old 12-19-06, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Just like the E63 and the new E70. Also, Porsche and Ferrari have used plastics for years to reduce weight.

"Plastic Omnium has introduced a new fender module for the BMW X5 which, it says, offers better function integration, pedestrian safety, weight reduction and flexibility in vehicle design. Build of the second generation SUV recently started at BMW's US plant, where all X5s are made.

According to the company, the module consists of a body-shade painted thermoplastic fender, which is pre-assembled onto a polymer structure.
The module features headlamps with a geometrical positioning system; a wheel housing and air guide; a thermoplastic absorber for pedestrian protection; a headlamp cleaning system; a windshield cleaning reservoir; auxiliary lighting - including fog lamp and indicator; extra cooling devices; an inlet air cooler; oil cooler and airbag sensors.

The company delivers the fender module fully equipped and ready to be mounted directly onto the vehicle.

Other advantages include a reduction in the number of parts needing assembly and improved access to the engine compartment. The module also means there is no seam between the fender and the bumper.
Plastic Omnium manufactures automotive fuel tanks and systems and body modules."

The plastic fenders are actually more expensive than their metal counterparts, yet they won't rust. Life is a beach...
And I have clearly been #$()()slapped on the internet..

Damn, your right, i stand corrected.

For all of you kiddies at home watching, while Gene and I may not see eye to eye on many things but we tend to use FACTS to slap each other with.

And they hit hard

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)