IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 09:09 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine in the IS is probably one of the smoothest v6's I've ever felt. The engine closet to that is the 3.2 litre inline six from Mercedes Benz...that thing was real smooth.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-20-06 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 09:13 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

Yeah, how dare someone have a viewpoint different than your own? How dare someone compare a lexus to other cars in the same class that they've owned? The nerve of some people.

The solution is always a simple one: just call the person a troll, immediately dismissing that the person's opinions might actually be valid.
If that were actually true, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

You're just creating opinions based on nothing. Your argument about the engine being rough is a perfect example, and your reasoning for why it's rough is not applicable.

Prove to me that the engine is not smooth.

"OMG it's falling apart at the seams!!!" is a troll. Present some factual data to back that up, because you seem to be the only one to arrive at that conclusion.
Old 12-20-06, 09:24 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
Honestly, I've never driven a Nissan G. Just never had any interest in the car, so I couldn't really vouch for the engine.
I bring this up because there is not much out there in this class other then the 335i that even compares to engine smoothness IMO; and I was wondering what your litmus is to gauge this engine "rough".

Not trying to add fuel-to-this-fire - just curious.
Old 12-20-06, 09:27 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
It's because the car is so isolated from external inputs, which is different than being smooth. Smooth is an inline 6 or V12 that is extremely well-balanced by nature, without having to resort to balance shafts and extra-absorbant engine mounts. I'm going to be black-balled again for saying this, but I find the IS's engine to be rather rough, actually. It's completely isolated and numb at lower RPMs, but is crude and starts "coming apart at the seams", so to speak, at mid and higher RPMs. Our ES330 is the same way.

And I can always feel how fast I'm going by how the car is becoming more and more unstable. And wandering all over the road.
I agree. I drove both a is350 and gs300 and I did notice the engine roughness. Definitely not as smooth as the BMW inline six. Most people won't notice, but a true car enthusiast will.
Old 12-20-06, 09:32 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Honestly, I've never driven a Nissan G. Just never had any interest in the car, so I couldn't really vouch for the engine.
Having owned 2 G's, there is no comparison in terms of NVH. When sitting at a stoplight in the G, the v6's inherently unbalanced nature comes through. You can feel the engine move the entire car somewhat like an old big block in a 60's muscle car (but not to that extent, of course.) In the IS, no reverberations and it is silky.

I also don't understand your 'coming apart at the seams' comment. Regardless, if you noticed this during your test drive as you claim, why did you buy the car?
Old 12-20-06, 09:36 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
I agree. I drove both a is350 and gs300 and I did notice the engine roughness. Definitely not as smooth as the BMW inline six. Most people won't notice, but a true car enthusiast will.
Nothing is going to be as smooth as a inline 6 (or a v12) as they inherently balanced designs. However, as v6's go, the one in the IS is very smooth.
Old 12-20-06, 09:39 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Belmont
Prove to me that the engine is not smooth.
There's no way that I can "prove" my experiences with engine smoothness, so I'll throw the ball right back into your court, and say prove that it is smooth.
Go drive a BMW inline 6. Put it through some rev cycles. Compare that to an IS250 under the same conditions. The 330i's engine has a more raw edge to it, but it keeps its composure very well all the way to redline. It's very well balanced, and smooth.

Originally Posted by MLevinson
and I was wondering what your litmus is to gauge this engine "rough".
I'm comparing it to similar 6 cylinder cars I've owned or driven for a reasonable length of time. The Accord V6 was smoother, as was the 330i.

Again, I'll make the point that there is a difference between being isolated from external inputs, and an engine that's actually smooth. As soon as I rev my IS250's engine (and the ES330's, which is even worse) beyond 3000 RPM, it emits crude, but muted sensations all the way to redline ,which indicate that the engine is not very well balanced.

The S2000's engine is very loud and raw in comparison, but it's also smoother (flame suit on). That engine will scream all the way past the 8000 RPM redline without the crude sensations that I get in the IS250 from 3000 on up.
Old 12-20-06, 09:48 AM
insider
Pole Position

Of coures, if you really want to experience a smooth engine, you need to take the Mazda RX-8 for a test drive. Nothing beats a rotary for smoothness. The engine is like butter.
Old 12-20-06, 09:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

LOL!!!!! The last line just killed me.

I cant speak for all the BMW in line 6 but I drove 330i when I was shopping for my IS350. I found BMW engine more responsive to the driver input, but in terms of smoothness, it comes no where close to 2GR-FSE motor you find on IS350.
Old 12-20-06, 09:50 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Of coures, if you really want to experience a smooth engine, you need to take the Mazda RX-8 for a test drive. Nothing beats a rotary for smoothness. The engine is like butter.
Yup. Helps prove my point very well. The engine may be raw and noisy, but it's smooooooooth.

Originally Posted by STIG
LOL!!!!! The last line just killed me.
I cant speak for all the BMW in line 6 but I drove 330i when I was shopping for my IS350. I found BMW engine more responsive to the driver input, but in terms of smoothness, it comes no where close to 2GR-FSE motor you find on IS350.
Nothing unreasonable about his statement. Most (all?) non-enthusiasts will not notice, and will mistake "isolated" for "smooth". I think you did the same thing. I highly doubt that the IS350's V6 is going to be more balanced/smoother than the BMW inline 6. I've never driven a 350, but I'll bet that I'm right.

Last edited by ff_; 12-20-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 09:54 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
And I can always feel how fast I'm going by how the car is becoming more and more unstable. And wandering all over the road.
How fast are we talking about? 150fast?

for normal driving, I find my IS350 very stable compare to other car I have driven including 330i.
Old 12-20-06, 09:56 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

How fast are we talking about? 150fast?

for normal driving, I find my IS350 very stable compare to other car I have driven including 330i.
Honestly, anything over 70 MPH, and the car comes unglued. I attribute the problem to baby-soft suspension bushings, coupled with tires that tramline pretty severely. It's a full time job keeping my car pointed in a straight line.
Old 12-20-06, 09:56 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
Yup. Helps prove my point very well. The engine may be raw and noisy, but it's smooooooooth.

Nothing unreasonable about his statement. Most (all?) non-enthusiasts will not notice, and will mistake "isolated" for "smooth". I think you did the same thing. I highly doubt that the IS350's V6 is going to be more balanced/smoother than the BMW inline 6. I've never driven a 350, but I'll bet that I'm right.
compare to IS250 vs 325/328i, yes. BMW in line 6 has more linear acceleration through out the power band.

If you havent driven IS350, I suggest you go drive one.
Old 12-20-06, 09:58 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

If you havent driven IS350, I suggest you go drive one.
I really should. It's just a matter of finding the appropriate time to do so, when it's a car that I wouldn't consider in the first place anyhow (no stick = no deal).
Old 12-20-06, 09:59 AM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
The whole point of a manumatic transmission is to give control of the gear changing to the driver. When I click the paddle or tap the shifter, I want the transmission to shift to the gear I asked for as quickly as possible. If I wanted the car to interpret the intentions of my right foot and pick the most appropriate gear, I'd have left it in "Drive". In my opinion, the only valid reason to ignore the wishes of the driver is when he is asking for something that would damage the engine or transmission.
And you read a later post, I agree entirely. I would want the car to stay in the gear that I want it to be in. No question, no doubt, that is why a manual transmission is superior in that respect.

But "insider" didn't argue that, he said...

The automatic on the is350 really sucks. For example, if you give it full throttle in manual mode at 2000rpm what does it do? It downshifts! How lame. Won't hold gears. Do that in the BMW in manual mode and it will hold the gear.
The highlighted portion of his quote (post #122 of this thread) was the reason for my comment. It wasn't, "I'm driving along in 6th gear in ECT power mode and as soon as I let off of the throttle it kicks down to 5th gear," or "I enter a turn in 3rd gear and the car shifts into 4th in the turn, so when I apply throttle after the apex it has to again downshift into 3rd," or "Dammit, it doesn't stay in the gear I put it in."

I just don't understand why if you press the foot all the way to the floor why you wouldn't want maximum acceleration. There is no other way to interpret WOT. The transmission may be "dumb" or "too intelligent for it's own good", which I would agree with, but how does it downshifting misrepresent the desired actions of the driver when his foot is pressed all the way to the floor?

Bichon, I agree with you, but that wasn't his argument. To me and others, it looks like he was upset that the car was doing basically what he told the car to do.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)