IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 09:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Honestly, anything over 70 MPH, and the car comes unglued. I attribute the problem to baby-soft suspension bushings, coupled with tires that tramline pretty severely. It's a full time job keeping my car pointed in a straight line.

umm that's strange. Have you ever taken your car in for check up? I heard that they have some defective tires on the IS. That might be it.

If you are talking about 130mph, yes, the car started shaking a bit compare to the X5 4.8i i drove the other day. But 70 should be fine.

I think you should take the car in.
Old 12-20-06, 10:00 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
LOL!!!!! The last line just killed me.

I cant speak for all the BMW in line 6 but I drove 330i when I was shopping for my IS350. I found BMW engine more responsive to the driver input, but in terms of smoothness, it comes no where close to 2GR-FSE motor you find on IS350.
LOL!!! Now that's funny.
Old 12-20-06, 10:04 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by insider
LOL!!! Now that's funny.

just curious, what do you drive?

base on your post history, you only talked about 335i. I am assuming you have one.

I love 335i tho. good for you if you have 335i. I would have bought 335i over IS350 if the car was out a year ago. But 330i didn't do for me.
Old 12-20-06, 10:08 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

now it's a smoothness war..jeezus christo guys.
Old 12-20-06, 10:09 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

we can't compare smoothness from a V6 to that of an Inline anything. apples to shoes guys.

I said guys twice..god I'm such a dork.
Old 12-20-06, 10:10 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

umm that's strange. Have you ever taken your car in for check up? I heard that they have some defective tires on the IS. That might be it.

If you are talking about 130mph, yes, the car started shaking a bit compare to the X5 4.8i i drove the other day. But 70 should be fine.

I think you should take the car in.
I've debated on whether I should. If past history is any indication, I'm certain that lexus is going to dismiss the issue, saying that "they all do that". And you know, I might actually believe them, as our ES330 is the same way. Literally all over the road. It would probably be advantageous to find another 250 with the same summer tires on it to try out on my own.

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
now it's a smoothness war..jeezus christo guys.
If we're not going to have discussions and debates over cars, then what's left to talk about? We'd get pretty bored if every thread was about "which wheels should I buy?" and "how much should I lower my IS?".
Old 12-20-06, 10:11 AM
insider
Pole Position

just curious, what do you drive?

base on your post history, you only talked about 335i. I am assuming you have one.

I love 335i tho. good for you if you have 335i. I would have bought 335i over IS350 if the car was out a year ago. But 330i didn't do for me.
'02 M3. Perhaps I'll pick up a 335i in the spring, however. I thought about the is350 last fall. But did not like it quite enough. 335i is more my style
Old 12-20-06, 10:13 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insider
'02 M3.
Oh, your car must be in the shop every few weeks? I heard it here on CL, so it must be true?

Old 12-20-06, 10:14 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I've debated on whether I should. If past history is any indication, I'm certain that lexus is going to dismiss the issue, saying that "they all do that". And you know, I might actually believe them, as our ES330 is the same way. Literally all over the road. It would probably be advantageous to find another 250 with the same summer tires on it to try out on my own.

If we're not going to have discussions and debates over cars, then what's left to talk about? We'd get pretty bored if every thread was about "which wheels should I buy?" and "how much should I lower my IS?".

true, but debates on things we can't prove or justify is like baking a cake and throwing it away. I would say this is more of a force feeding of opinions rather than an actual debate. But such is the nature of the internet, everyone is a professional know-it-all on the web. I am no different. You do have to admit, these so called "debates" often turn out to be ridiculous "whose **** is bigger?" dog fights.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-20-06 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 10:16 AM
LexFather

I see Chris Bangles step-sons are out of elementary school early to post their pro-BMW is god bias here.....

Let me guess, its about "soul"...(rollseyes)

Finger on the ban trigger....gonna drink some Guiness, flip a coin, and see who might go.....
Old 12-20-06, 10:19 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I see Chris Bangles step-sons are out of elementary school early to post their pro-BMW is god bias here.....

Finger on the ban trigger....gonna drink some Guiness, flip a coin, and see who might go.....

**runs for cover.
Old 12-20-06, 10:22 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

You'd ban someone for having a calm debate/discussion about cars? On an automobiling message board?

Old 12-20-06, 10:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_

I usually got a ES350/ES330 as a loner every time i have my IS350 service.

Compare to ES, IS is much more ( i mean a lot more) stable. If your IS's road manners are acting the same way as ES, then your IS have a problem.

My IS350 also had an the problem that the car kept going to the left before and they usually dismiss the problem as well. But I ask the tech guy to sit in my car and show him how it is in my car and I requested another IS350 (on the lot) to drive and show him how it doesnt constantly going to the right.
Old 12-20-06, 10:25 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
You'd ban someone for having a calm debate/discussion about cars? On an automobiling message board?

I think it was more of a warning. just in case people start flaming til this forum crashes.
Old 12-20-06, 10:26 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I usually got a ES350/ES330 as a loner every time i have my IS350 service.

Compare to ES, IS is much more ( i mean a lot more) stable. If your IS's road manners are acting the same way as ES, then your IS have a problem.

My IS350 also had an the problem that the car kept going to the left before and they usually dismiss the problem as well. But I ask the tech guy to sit in my car and show him how it is in my car and I requested another IS350 (on the lot) to drive and show him how it doesnt constantly going to the right.
We actually had the same issue on the ES, where it constantly pulled to the left. The dealer refused to replace the tires, and instead just rotated them to the back. Not a lot I could do without starting WW3.
However, the issue with the IS is a little different. It wanders in either direction, in a very inconsistent manner. I don't see this as being an issue with radial pull.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)