IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 10:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
We actually had the same issue on the ES, where it constantly pulled to the left. The dealer refused to replace the tires, and instead just rotated them to the back. Not a lot I could do without starting WW3.
However, the issue with the IS is a little different. It wanders in either direction, in a very inconsistent manner. I don't see this as being an issue with radial pull.
What I was trying to say was, if they dont admit your car has a problem, do what I did. Show them how other IS are not wandering in either direction when you are doing only 70.

I am sure they will take your car in if you do that. It's kinda ridiculous to have an IS that wanders on the freeway at 70.

But before you do that, you might want to try test driving other IS, and see if they are all doing the same thing. If they are then, you might need a tank or a rock to satisfy your definition of stability.
Old 12-20-06, 10:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
But before you do that, you might want to try test driving other IS, and see if they are all doing the same thing. If they are then, you might need a tank or a rock to satisfy your definition of stability.
True that. It could just be that I'm hypersensitive to the wandering, having owned an S2000 and 330i, both of which track extremely well.
Old 12-20-06, 11:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

ah yes. I remember the days when I use to chime in on these discussions

Now i lock myself in the most heavily populated forum on CL..the LX450 forum
Old 12-20-06, 11:15 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

LX450..what is that? j/k
Old 12-20-06, 11:20 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
However, the issue with the IS is a little different. It wanders in either direction, in a very inconsistent manner. I don't see this as being an issue with radial pull.
Excessive toe-out would cause that symptoms.

Check the alignment, and read the print-out yourself. Don't trust the tech, alignment readings can be very touchy. It might jump back and forth between "within spec" and "out of spec", and the tech would just say it's ok.

There's no reason why your car would wander around at 70mph. Just no reason at all. Even Hyundai won't do that.
Old 12-20-06, 11:25 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wai
Excessive toe-out would cause that symptoms.

Check the alignment, and read the print-out yourself. Don't trust the tech, alignment readings can be very touchy. It might jump back and forth between "within spec" and "out of spec", and the tech would just say it's ok.

There's no reason why your car would wander around at 70mph. Just no reason at all. Even Hyundai won't do that.
yeah my 91 corolla (red box of death) wouldnt even do that. I could hit 80mph downhill easy in that thing...no veering, only the occasional tire falling off.
Old 12-20-06, 11:29 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

OK, you guys convinced me. I'll bring the car in and have them diagnose it.
Old 12-20-06, 11:56 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
OK, you guys convinced me. I'll bring the car in and have them diagnose it.
Might want to have that tooth pulled as well
Old 12-20-06, 12:08 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Might want to have that tooth pulled as well
Come to think of it, that tooth has been giving me trouble lately
Old 01-29-07, 07:39 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Default Lexus IS350 vs BMW 335i Review Posted Online (merged threads)

Here is a comparison of our IS350 against the BMW 335i made by a French Canadian online magazine. They took the manual 6 speed BMW for the comparo. Can't wait for the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times which will hopefully be posted in tomorrows follow up.

http://www.essai-auto.com/essais-aut...sis3502007.htm

Here is a Google translation link for the English spoken:
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Old 01-29-07, 07:49 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man was that odd to read through the translated version.... but interesting so far.
Old 01-29-07, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

O.K. Pretty straight-forward.

When does the rest of the article pop up?
Old 01-29-07, 09:13 AM
dcarlson
Driver School Candidate

Well, I won't comment about the content but the google translation is well worth reading. My favorite: "Small bags are to be envisaged during your displacements." Ah, couldn't have said it better myself... ;-)
Old 01-29-07, 09:29 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
O.K. Pretty straight-forward.

When does the rest of the article pop up?
Near the bottom of the translation, it says tomorrow.... So I guess we stay tuned...
Old 01-29-07, 11:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 335ci versus IS350

this was on LEXFSTYLE.COM

BMW 335Ci 2007 vs Lexus IS350 2007
This was translated from a French Automotive magazine found here:

http://www.essai-auto.com/essais-aut...sis3502007.htm

Confrontation at the top

BMW and Lexus, here are two very prestigious names in the field of the car. First is recognized since decades like one of the world leaders in term of pleasure of control, characteristic which can only come fromthe European manufacturers, according to several. On its side, Lexus dominates the world market in term of assembly, reliability, luxury and technology. One can hope for nothing less on behalf of this top-of-the-range division of Toyota.

Then now that both propose each one to us their version of the best truck sport to propulsion, why not start the combat immediately. Thus, very new BMW 335i faces beautiful and racée Lexus IS350. It should be said that both have a whole design, that is to say the character and the aggressiveness of the lines of our German pugilist against the concept L-smoothness of Lexus, incorporating fluidity and modernism. A whole combat is to be envisaged. It's a pity that Infiniti could not provide us the news G35 2007, that would have put even more the prickly one. Then let us begin the confrontation immediately: Let' S get ready to rumble!

Round 1: cockpit and design

The reputation of Lexus in this chapter is not any more to make, and the IS350 proves it out of any doubt. The materials are assembled with a great meticulousness and the fitting of the colors is of a great beauty. The texture of the leather saddlery is without reproach and the majority of the orders are well located. As a whole, the cockpit of this car is very modern and the lighting of the dashboard is such as it us cuts the breath in night control from there.

Concerning the places postpones, they can accomodate two adults but space for the legs is restricted. It is true that the IS350 is not “a large” car! It is the same for volume for the back trunk. Small bags are to be envisaged during your displacements.

As regards BMW, the quality of materials is also high level. On the other hand, the final result of the instrument panel is much more austere and traditional vis-a-vis the modernism of Lexus. A more fertile imagination would have been the welcome, especially for a car of this price. The most beautiful key relates to lighting in the doors. A very small white light course the line of the door under the side window panels; the night effect is superb. Just like Lexus, back space is not its strong point but it is nevertheless possibleto travel to four people, especially that space cargo liner is higher.

Gaining first round: Lexus IS350

Round 2: Power unit

Although the two cars are delivered with six-cylinder motors of similar power, the technological choices selected are completely different. Initially, Lexus proposes the IS with two engines to us, that is to say small V6 of 2,5 liters which equips the IS250. For this confrontation, we chose the most powerful IS350 which is delivered with a superb V6 engine of 3,5 liters developing 306 horses and 277 lb-pi of couple. All this power is transmitted to the aft wheels via an automatic transmission with six relationship with pallets assembled on the wheel. The flexibility of this engine is excellent and softness is present at all the modes, even very close to the red line. The absence of a manual box is on the other hand a disappointing point in a truck sport.

At BMW, one still chose the eternal 6 cylinders on line. On the other hand, after tens of years of absence, this German manufacturer returns to us with a turbocompressé engine. Indeed, two small turbos were grafted with the engine of 3,0 liters in order to get a maximum power of 300 horses and especially a couple of 300 lb-pi available since 1500 trs/min. Impressing! Here, one offers a superb manual box to six relationship with, in option, an automatic also offering six reports/ratios, both transmitting the power via a rear axle. Our car of test was equipped with the manual box. It is very precise with short reports/ratios and the clutch is easy to modulate.

For its couple like its superb manual box so easy to handle and very precise, BMW takes down the victory in this 2nd round.

Gaining of the second round: BMW 335i
(continued tomorrow)

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)