IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 12:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Last night at my monthly bracket racing championship at my 7,411 foot elevation track in Mexico City had a guy in my 14 to 20 second group run a 14.6 in his 335i. He later told me that was his best run, but told him to come back next week and I will give it a try.
Old 01-29-07, 09:39 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it looks like it is a tie 2-2. But at the very end they talk about the reliability, and he favors the IS350. The translation is horrible.
Old 01-29-07, 09:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

L-finesse got translated to L-smoothness
Old 01-29-07, 09:58 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Edmunds did a test on the 335i automatic... 0-60 = 4.8sec and 1/4mile = 13.3 seconds at 105.9 mph. Wow! I think that's faster than the 350. They say that's faster than a 2005 M3 manual.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1
Old 01-29-07, 10:15 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

A 335i owner posted his race video against 545 and 550 on a BMW forum yesterday. Damn, I have to say that car is fast.

Here is a link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45056
Old 01-30-07, 06:00 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

wow. thats impressive. i raced a 335 smg about a month ago and from 30-75 I was up about a car length, but after that the beamer destroyed me. so is the 335 suppost to be faster than the e46 m3??
Old 01-30-07, 06:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IStreefidy
wow. thats impressive. i raced a 335 smg about a month ago and from 30-75 I was up about a car length, but after that the beamer destroyed me. so is the 335 suppost to be faster than the e46 m3??
the 335 doesn't have SMG as an option. Just a plain ole auto, well steptronic they call it.

also note the 335 has an MSRP of $50K when you get it similarly equipped as my IS350...(my msrp was $44K) or you can get one $40K totally stripped..I'm sure you'd have to order a stripped one, as no dealer would have one in stock.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-30-07 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 07:55 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

review updated as well
Old 01-30-07, 08:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

BMW 335Ci 2007 vs Lexus IS350 2007 [gallery photographs]

road test carried out by:

Round 3: Performance and road behavior

And well here is finally this so important round for several. In short, one determines here which is fastest and most powerful, that it is on the road or the track. Let us start with surprising Lexus. Even if it is equipped with an automatic transmission, know that it crossed 0-100 km/h into 5,66 dryness, and distance it of the 400 m in exactly 14,0 dryness. The recoveriesare excellent with the proviso of selecting the manual mode of the transmission. If the selector is left in normal operating mode, certain times are observed, especially when comes time for the transmission to retrogress of reports/ratios in order to carry out 80-120 km/h. Even if one can change ourself the reports/ratios starting from pallets assembled at the wheel, the feeling is not as interesting as a genuine manual box. And again, the slowness of the changes of reports/ratios can also be observed on the occasion, even by carrying out those manually.

In term of road behavior, Lexus is very neutral in turn and can surprise several of them. The direction is precise, sometimes even if it seems to be a little too artificial, and the suspensions are well gauged in order to get a good compromise between the performance and comfort. Even at high speed, the car remains stable until the limit of adherence, moment when the back seeks to take down. At this point in time the many electronic systems operates, and there the pleasure is decreased by a notch. As soon as these systems activate in an automatic way, the car does not seem any more to be under the control of the pilot. The power transmitted to the wheels of is decreased much, the brakes are applied to the suitable wheel in order to bring back the car on the good way. Even when this system is decontaminated, it returns from itself in function as soon as the car undergoes a light ice-skating of the wheels or a slip of most negligible.

On the other hand, here what is interesting. If one presses the button being used to decontaminate these electric systems during approximately 10 seconds, the system of stability and control of traction are completely decontaminated! There one can have fun and discover really the limits of the vehicle, especially when provided with the sport group (as on our model of test). The suspension is firmer, the wheels are 18 inches instead of 17, and the tires are more adherent with like size 225/40 with before and 255/40 with the back.

At BMW, the results are even more impressive! You hold well because the performances in acceleration are comparable with current m3. After some tests with the version with manual transmission, we obtained a time of 5,42 dryness in order to reach 100 km/h, and a quarter of mile in 13,7 dryness. And the recoveries quite as phenomenal with this high torque available on so low diet. One would believe to drive a car provided with large V8. Here an element which missed with old series 3: couple with low mode! And should listen to the sound of the exhaust to you! A concerto for amateurs of humming.

As it is the case most of the time with the BMW products, the control of this 335i is jouissive. The distribution of the weight between before and the back are perfect, and it car is stable. It never stumbles, even when thorough at bottom. The direction communicates all the information which we need to know to appreciate each moment. And when comes time to slow down, the immense discs answer the task without never stumbling. It is a perfect balance! To note that the 335i which wasat our disposal was also provided with the sport group and the wheels of 18 inches. Of course, the electronic systems also intervene when the car is pushed but they can also be decontaminated just like at Lexus. It is certain that the limit of adherence and the road behavior in extreme cases are not as extreme as with m3. The suspensions of the 335i are a tantinet softer and the back differential is not with limited slip, thus affecting accelerations at exit of turn when the system of control of tractionis decontaminated. But all this is only observed that in extreme cases of traction and on a closed loop.

Gaining third round: BMW 335i

Round 4: price and equipment

Although the two cars have a similar basic price, Lexus is all the same offered to nearly 3000 $ less (49 000 $ vs 51.600 $), and offers equipment of series much more cossu that BMW. That it is a simple element like the electric seats, a surplus will be required of you in this Bavarian manufacturer, andthe groups of options are very expensive. Certain options are also offered at a price which cuts the appetite at Lexus but at least, the car has already essence with its basic equipment.

Gaining of this fourth and last round: Lexus IS350

Final result: 2 to 2!

One can finish this confrontation simply by concluding only BMW and Lexus is ex-æquo; you one gaining isn't this wants!? And well let us leave the figures and the characteristics on side for one moment. The only criterion which can really do one gaining is the pleasure of control, passion to be at the wheel. With this play, the 335i carries it. But it should be known that it does not matter the choice, these two trucks will put full the sight of it to you. To note: the motorization of our 335i crossed will be available in 2007 in the truck four doors because the 330i was replaced by the truck 335i. Interesting for those wishing the same performances without neglecting the practical side.

Another comment

Rene

Like Benjamin showed it so well to us, it does not have nothing better there than a truth face to face, with the direction illustrated of course, to really compare the characteristics of two products.

In addition to all the elements that Benjamin considered, the chapters of the reliability and the cost of maintains were put on side and in my opinion, that could have changed the exit of the match. Unfortunately, BMW knew some missed in the last years and that is also the case of the majority of the German cars. During this time, Japanese does not cease progressing in this matter and the reputation of Lexus is not any more to make. Agreement, the cost of maintains additional east cannot be not a so large factor near customers lends to spend more than 50.000 $ dollars for a car but for my part, that makes an enormous difference.

I really adored to lead the news 335i, mainly because of his power and the sonority which emerges some. On the other hand, refinement, reliability and the sporting spirit are elements which make me lean in favour of the IS 350 which wants to be a true blow of heart.

<>
Old 01-30-07, 10:32 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Default better translation

That Google translation was pretty tough to read, so here is my own translation. I think it is a bit easier to understand.

Battle at the top

BMW and Lexus are two very prestigious names in the automotive business. The former has been knows for decades as a leader in fun driving, a quality that many will tell you can only come from the European manufacturers. Lexus, on the other hand, dominates the global market as far as fit and finish, reliability, luxury, and technology. One would expect nothing less from Toyota’s top-of-the-line division.

With each car offering its own vision of the ideal sports sedan, why not start the battle right away. And so, the brand new BMW 335i takes on the beautiful and classy Lexus IS350. We have to say that both cars have a coherent design concept, be it the character and aggressiveness of the German contender, or Lexus’s L-Finesse concept, which blends fluidity and modernism. We predict a great battle! Unfortunately Infiniti was not able to give us a new 2007 G35, which would have made this comparison even more interesting. So, let’s start the battle right away: “Let’s get ready to rumble!”

Round 1: Interior and design
Lexus’s reputation in this department is second to none, and the IS350 reaffirms this beyond any doubt. The materials are assembled with great attention to detail, and the color scheme is a thing of great beauty. The texture of the leather is beyond reproach, and most of the controls are very well placed. All in all, the interior of this car is very modern and the dashboard lighting takes our breath away during night driving.

As for the back seat, it can fit two adults, but legroom is limited. The IS350 is definitely not a “large” car! The same goes for the trunk. Small suitcases are best when you travel.

The BMW’s materials are also very high quality. On the other hand, the dashboard ends up looking much more austere and traditional than the modern design in the Lexus. A more creative design would have been welcome, especially in a car of this price. The most beautiful touch is the lighting of the doors: a very small white light runs the length of the doors just below the side windows, and the effect is superb at night. As in the Lexus, rear space is not its strong point, but it is still possible to travel with four people in the car, and the cargo space is better.

Winner of the first round: Lexus IS350

Round 2: Engine, drivetrain, and transmission
Even though both cars are equipped with 6-cylinder engines that make similar horsepower, the technology chosen for each car is totally different. First off, Lexus offers the IS with two engines: the IS250 gets the smaller 2.5-liter V6. For this battle, we chose the more powerful IS350, which comes equipped with a superb 3.5-liter V6 developing 306 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. All this power is routed to the rear wheels via a six-speed transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. This engine is extremely smooth at all engine speeds, even up near the redline. On the other hand, the lack of a manual gearbox is disappointing in a sports sedan.

BMW has once again chosen their timeless inline 6. But, after decades of absence, the German manufacturer has decided to reintroduce a turbocharged engine. In fact, two small turbos have been grafted on to a 3.0-liter engine to achieve a maximum power rating of 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque starting at 1500 rpm. Impressive! BMW offers either an excellent 6-speed manual or an optional 6-speed automatic, both powering the rear wheels. The manual is very precise with short throws, and the clutch is easy to work.

Winner of the second round: BMW 335i

Round 3: Performance and driving dynamics
Finally, the round that is so important for so many people. In short, this is where we determine which car is the fastest and the best performing, be it on the road or on the track. Let’s start with the surprising Lexus. Even with its automatic transmission, it went 0-100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 5.66 seconds, and hit 400 meters (0.249 miles) in exactly 14.0 seconds. Pickup is great as long as the transmission is in manual mode. If the transmission is left in normal mode, certain delays occur, especially when downshifting to go from 80 - 120 km/h (49.7 – 74.6 mph). Even though we could shift gears with the steering wheel-mounted paddles, the feeling just wasn’t as interesting as a genuine manual gearbox. And once again, we noticed delays when changing gears, even when shifting in manual mode.

In terms of driving dynamics, the Lexus is very neutral in turns, which might surprise some people. The steering is accurate, even if it sometimes seems a bit artificial, and the suspension is nicely tuned to provide a compromise between performance and comfort. Even at high speeds, the vehicle remains stable up to the limits of traction, when the rear tires start to slip out. This is when the numerous electronic systems are activated, and the fun comes down a notch. As soon as these automatic systems are activated, the car no longer really seems to be under the driver’s control. Power to the wheels is greatly reduced, and brakes are applied to the appropriate wheel, to get the car back on the right course. Even when this system is deactivated, it turns itself back on automatically with the smallest slip of the tires.

On the other hand, here is something interesting. If you hold down the traction control deactivation button for around 10 seconds, the traction control and stability systems are completely deactivated! Now you can really have fun testing the limits of the car, especially if you have the sport package (as we did on our test model). The suspension is firmer, the wheels are 18 rather than 17 inches, and the tires are stickier with 225/40s in the front and 255/40s in the back.

The BMW’s results are even better! Hold on tight because the acceleration is comparable to the current M3. After a couple tries with the manual transmission, we were able to get a time of 5.42 seconds for 0-100 km/h, and 13.7 seconds for the quarter mile. And the pickup is phenomenal, with very high torque available at such low engine speeds. It feels like you are driving a car with a big V8. This is something that was really missing from earlier 3-series models: low-end torque! And you should hear the exhaust note! A concerto for those who love to hear an engine’s purr.

As is usually the case with BMWs, driving this car is fantastic. The balance of weight between front and rear is perfect, and the car is stable. This car just won’t budge, even when pushed to the limit. The steering communicates all the information you need to know to appreciate every instant of driving. And when it’s time to slow down, the immense discs respond to the task without flinching. It’s a perfect balance! The 335i was also equipped with the sport package and 18-inch wheels. Of course, electronic systems also take over when the car is pushed too far, but they can also be deactivated, just like in the Lexus. The limits of traction and driving dynamics are certainly not as extreme as in the M3. The 335i’s suspension is a tad softer and there is no limited-slip rear differential, which affects acceleration out of turns when traction control is turned off. But all of this is only noticeable at the limits of traction on a closed course.

Winner of the third round: BMW 335i

Round 4: Price and features
Although both vehicles have a comparable base price, the Lexus is nonetheless offered for almost 3,000 CAD ($2,539) cheaper (49,000 CAD vs. 51,6000 CAD) ($41,472 vs. $43,673), and offers much nicer standard features. Even for basic components like electrically-adjustable seats, the Bavarian manufacturer will charge you extra, and the option groups are very expensive. Lexus also offers a few options at prices that will make you lose your appetite, but at least the base model already includes the essential features.

Winner of the fourth and final round: Lexus IS350
Final result: 2 to 2!

We can’t end this battle with the simple conclusion that he Lexus and the BMW are equals; you want a winner, right? So, let’s leave the numbers and the tests aside for a minute. The only characteristic that can make a real winner is the fun of driving, the passion of being on the road. In this game, the 335i takes the cake. But you should know that whichever of these sport sedans you choose, you will be very impressed. The engine from the 335i coupe we tested will be available in the 335i sedan in 2007, because the 330i sedan is being replaced by the 335i sedan. This is an interesting choice for those who want the same performance without giving up the practical side.

Other comments
René
As Benjamin has very nicely shown us, there is nothing better than a real head-to-head battle, in the figurative sense of course, to compare the characteristics of two products.

Aside from all the aspects Benjamin has mentioned, the sections about reliability and maintenance costs were left out, and at least for me, this could have changed the results of the match-up. Unfortunately, BMW has experienced some shortcomings in this area the past few years, and this is also the case with most other German cars. During this time, the Japanese have only improved in this department, and Lexus’s reputation is second to none. Sure, maintenance costs might not be a huge factor for a customer willing to spend 50,000 CAD ($42,319) on a car, but for me, it makes a big difference.

I really loved driving the new 335i, especially because of its power and the beautiful sounds it makes. On the other hand, the refinement, reliability and sporty nature of the IS350 make me lean towards this car, which really deserves our recommendation.

Last edited by diablo1; 01-31-07 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 10:48 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Gee, if the 335i is this fast... wonder how fast the new M3 will be. Looks like BMW doesn't want Lexus to outrun them quite yet. Even the 335i auto gets some impressive numbers.
Old 01-31-07, 09:45 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Funny how most car journalist loves the BMW perfect weight distribution. Which was also noticed in this review. But when looking at the numbers, the 330 has 51/49 and the latest 335i has 51.2/48.8. With the Lexus having 52/48 can journalist really tell a difference? I think it's more of a imaginary legacy thing.

Besides that comment I agree with the review. The numbers a tied, with one reviewer slightly prefers the BMW and the other slightly prefers the Lexus. Mirrors the real world when no one car fits everyone preferences.
Old 01-31-07, 10:08 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, I think the review is pretty good overall, although they didn't say anything that we didn't already know. It's the kind of review you would write if you hadn't actually driven either car...
Old 01-31-07, 10:16 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
Gee, if the 335i is this fast... wonder how fast the new M3 will be. Looks like BMW doesn't want Lexus to outrun them quite yet. Even the 335i auto gets some impressive numbers.
The 335 is rated at around 350HP stock with 0-60 under 5 seconds. BMW marketed it at 300HP.

Maybe less is more? Low ball the horsepower and let the rags hype the car.
Old 01-31-07, 10:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
The 335 is rated at around 350HP stock with 0-60 under 5 seconds. BMW marketed it at 300HP.

Maybe less is more? Low ball the horsepower and let the rags hype the car.
the 335i is nowhere close to 350hp....where do people get this stuff????!?!?!

dyno from a 335i...

Name:  335idyno.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  71.2 KB

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)