IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 11:56 AM
iatacs19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only BMW that overheated was an auto version without the oil cooler. I haven't heard of any 6-speed manuals overheating yet as they all have the extra oil cooler.

If they made the IS350 with a 6-speed manual the game would be over. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just step up to the plate the challenge BMW?
Old 04-28-07, 12:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by iatacs19

If they made the IS350 with a 6-speed manual the game would be over. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just step up to the plate the challenge BMW?

Lexus might be pulling the same move they did with the 1st gen IS. The first Gen IS didn't get a manual until later. I hope lexus does the same
Old 04-28-07, 12:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Lexus might be pulling the same move they did with the 1st gen IS. The first Gen IS didn't get a manual until later. I hope lexus does the same
That would be beautiful.
Old 04-28-07, 12:38 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Its absurd to compare an Sti 4 door sedan to a BWM 4 door sedan? In fact those 2 cars target the exact same audience. Clearly people not interested in interiors and quality and such... but more so driving dynamics.. and damn the Sti wins that hands down.
Other than them both having 4 doors and turbo there's really not much in common between them. The BMW is a luxury sedan and the STI CLEARLY is not. It's based off a rally car. They are two totally different cars marketed at different people.

Does the STI have sound insulation? Does the BMW? 4 cylinders vs 6. AWD vs RWD car with an AWD option (it's basically an afterthought).

Do you consider the IS350 and STI in the same class as well?
Old 04-28-07, 12:39 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I think the only BMW that overheated was an auto version without the oil cooler. I haven't heard of any 6-speed manuals overheating yet as they all have the extra oil cooler.
New production autos have oil coolers.

They target the luxury U.S. market.
Old 04-28-07, 12:40 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
That would be beautiful.
It would be more than beautiful. I'd be trading my car in THAT day. LOL
Old 04-28-07, 12:40 PM
iatacs19
Rookie

Better late than never for the 6-speed, but I got tired of waiting. Damn you Lexus!
Old 04-28-07, 12:49 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's nearly a high enough demand for Lexus to integrate a manual transmission in the IS 350's.

Most people in CL want it, but CL mainly caters to car enthusiasts, and car enthusiasts are obviously a very small minority compared to the other IS buyers.
Old 04-28-07, 01:10 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joonsta
I might be wrong, but I don't think there's nearly a high enough demand for Lexus to integrate a manual transmission in the IS 350's.

Most people in CL want it, but CL mainly caters to car enthusiasts, and car enthusiasts are obviously a very small minority compared to the other IS buyers.
Thank for ruining our day.

The majority of us know this however we like to dream. Dream crusher. :P

But you never know... Maybe they'll make 6 speeds special order only. Now there's an idea!
Old 04-28-07, 01:20 PM
iatacs19
Rookie

what I find amusing is that they say that there is not enough demand for an IS350 6-speed, but then how come the IS250 has a 6-speed?

There is a demand for IS2500 MANUAL??? If anything I think it would be the opposite, IS350 gets the 6-speed and the IS250 only sells AUTO.
Old 04-28-07, 01:40 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

what I find amusing is that they say that there is not enough demand for an IS350 6-speed, but then how come the IS250 has a 6-speed?

There is a demand for IS2500 MANUAL??? If anything I think it would be the opposite, IS350 gets the 6-speed and the IS250 only sells AUTO.
Good point there.

I can only guess a couple of reasons why they have a manual transmission in a 250 only.

Now I'm no car guru here, but I've heard that Toyota isn't quite the leader in transmissions...so maybe they can't build one that'll handle the 350's engine? I really don't think this is the case though.

Another reason I can think of is, that since Lexus planned for relatively few 350's to be produced, they wanted the enthusiasts to stop waiting for a 350 and get a 250 by seducing them with a stick shift version .

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Thank for ruining our day.

The majority of us know this however we like to dream. Dream crusher. :P

But you never know... Maybe they'll make 6 speeds special order only. Now there's an idea!
Special order, huh?

Even if manual transmission is a special order feature, Lexus would still have to pony up some R&D money to come up with a decent transmission.

And after that, as I said before, I believe there's not enough demand to justify the production costs.

They can't just make individual manual transmission 350's for individual customers.

They have to make and stock a good number. That's how mass producers like Toyota/Lexus work.

But what's the point? Lexus is easily meeting their sales goals for the 350's anyways.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad I made your day .

(Wow, that was the most substance I've put in a post *gives self pat in the back*)
Old 04-28-07, 03:39 PM
TMQ
Rookie

It is kind of strange that Lexus stuffs the manual into 250 rather than 350. I think the explanation is that the manual transmission technology in Toyota to handle the larger V6 isn't quite ready yet to handle that much power.

Right now, there is not a single vehicle in the Toyota/Lexus lineup that has manual transmission to handle more than 210 HP, except the... FJ Cruiser with 4.0 V6 that pumps out 239 HP.

Toyota clearly puts the emphasis on what the customers want (one survey has <5% want a manual). As it marches towards global dominance, it can probably afford to live without a niche - a good manual transmission.

Even though Infiniti offers one for the G35, it seems from various magazine and owner reviews it's quite below the level of BMW or Acura.
Old 04-28-07, 03:51 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's fun to drive a car with a manual tranny, and have in the past. However, there's no question in my mind that the auto in the IS350 shifts faster than I ever could. I just want a better/faster paddle shifter, and I'm set. Putting manuals in modern cars is almost going backwards when you look at the advances in auto transmissions over the past decade.

BMW attracts "drivers". Apparently those of us with commutes and kids aren't "drivers", because a 6 speed manual would be a day-to-day PIA for me right now.
Old 06-11-07, 11:50 AM
iku
Driver School Candidate

Default is350 or 335i

hi guys, i am having a hard time deciding which car i should get. my slk32's lease date ends today and i dont know what to get next. if money wasnt a issue, which car would u guys get? any opinions are welcomed. i seriously need suggestions. thanks guys
Old 06-11-07, 11:52 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

please run a search. this has been beaten to death around here

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)