IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
My fiance doesn't mind my I-Drive at all. She is quite familar with the IS nav, since she has an IS250. I think the latest program updates made the I-Drive much faster to use.

You're right about DVD movies though, we need an aftermarket unit for that to work. Not a big deal IMO, but to each his own. I just wish the 07 Nav hack was as easy as the 06. BTW, I need a fold down rear seat since our other car is a Lexus..
You can make the 06 nav hack on the 07 (I assume by 06 hack you mean the 4 touch sequence on the volume adjust screen)... All it involves on an 07 is burning a new DVD with the 06 firmware or simply using the old 2006 DVD in a 2007 if you are really lazy... hehe...

I owned a E46 M3 and never used the navigation unless I had to... That thing was such a piece of ****... I could not stand spinning that damn wheel **** to select letters from the "keyboard"... I am just touch-screen spoiled I guess... I mean, in the end, it's not a huge difference, but it was enough to push me over the edge...
Old 06-12-07, 10:11 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Whoa, be careful. Reliability is already an issue on the 335i with oil cooling and fuel pump problems cropping up. The BMW's are never as reliable as a Lexus, and even though they might be under warranty you may just end up with your new Bimmer sitting in the shop waiting for parts.
And thats no different than the VVTI gears that have to be changed in the IS if you get the dreaded rattle at start up. I bet the BMW doesn't have as many rattles as the IS. But even then.. its car by car. Not all 335is are having the cooling pump issue and not all IS' are having the VVTI issue.

If you want performance with more after market fun the 335i is the way to go.

If you value luxory, and touch screen nav over turbos the IS350 is the way to go.

Drive both... back to back.
Old 06-12-07, 10:14 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
And thats no different than the VVTI gears that have to be changed in the IS if you get the dreaded rattle at start up. I bet the BMW doesn't have as many rattles as the IS. But even then.. its car by car. Not all 335is are having the cooling pump issue and not all IS' are having the VVTI issue.

If you value luxory, and touch screen nav over turbos the IS350 is the way to go.

Well said... Just keep in mind that stock vs. stock in a straight line drag race, both cars are about even...

However, like you said, aftermarket, you chip the 335 and forgetaboutit
Old 06-12-07, 10:26 AM
Yimbie
Driver School Candidate

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120903

I hope that helps in your decision.
Old 06-12-07, 10:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yimbie

Unfortunately, testing a car like that does not mean it functions the same for everyday traffic.

Edmunds test maximal performance capabilities, not everyday function...
Old 06-12-07, 10:47 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh good article, yep like i said on page 2, go buy the 335i its a hella fun car. Im sure you'll love it way more than a is350. Hell i wish i had a 335i instead of my is350, as long as its not my money i would love the 335i.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 06-12-07 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 10:55 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

We're retreading this for the Nth time?

Just had to be said (again).
Old 06-12-07, 11:40 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_Mine

Agreed. Both great cars, designed for different people. I must add, the oil cooler issue has been long fixed. I heard they switched manufacturers on the fuel pumps already too. Now it's just a matter of getting them in stock.

Stock vs. Stock, drag race they will be even. A more fun car to drive spiritedly? I say the 335i IMO. Price? Well, I did European Delivery on my car so it was about 43,500 very well equipped. If it was a Sedan equipped similarly, knock off a thousand. Plane ticket? About 1500 for 2. European Vacation = Priceless.
Old 06-12-07, 01:32 PM
josephlee
Driver

well yeah, if they give me the 335i for free, i'll still have to think about it since I'll need to save up for fixing it after the warranty expires (if you're keeping the car)...especially when the turbo is in its first year (well, first turbo after like 20 years or something). My fd works at BMW service department, and he keeps telling ppl not to buy bimmers due to problems always re-occur. Well hey, im not being disrespectful to BMW drivers who chose to buy them, but I wont see myself driving one forsure.
Old 06-12-07, 01:36 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josephlee
well yeah, if they give me the 335i for free, i'll still have to think about it since I'll need to save up for fixing it after the warranty expires (if you're keeping the car).
Well, you have the option of extending your warranty/maintenance programs to 7 years/100k.
Old 06-12-07, 01:45 PM
insider
Pole Position

Intersting that Lexus fans always say that the Lexus is smoother riding and quieter than the BMW. But the article says jus the opposite. Compared side by side, the BMW has lower noise under acceleration, accelerates faster, rides smoother than the Lexus, and handles better. Pretty amazing. I guess that's why it won the test.
Old 06-12-07, 02:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
But the article says jus the opposite. Compared side by side, the BMW has lower noise under acceleration, accelerates faster, rides smoother than the Lexus, and handles better. Pretty amazing. I guess that's why it won the test.
Run flats will never be as smooth as non run flats, both are using the same RE050 Bridgestones. I didnt see anywhere where it said it rode smoother or was quieter under acceleration, like its a bad thing in a sports sedan
Old 06-12-07, 04:01 PM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Run flats will never be as smooth as non run flats, both are using the same RE050 Bridgestones. I didnt see anywhere where it said it rode smoother or was quieter under acceleration, like its a bad thing in a sports sedan
In the back where the acceleration results are located they have measurments for how quiet the cars are under acceleration and at cruise speed.
Old 06-12-07, 04:29 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

rather than reading one journalist's opinion - or any journalist's opinion - about these two cars, go test drive them yourself. no matter how "objective" these reviews and comparisons might be, they will not - and NEVER- replace honest test drives of these two cars.

go tear up some roads w/ these two cars, and THEN decide.
Old 06-12-07, 06:10 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
rather than reading one journalist's opinion - or any journalist's opinion - about these two cars, go test drive them yourself. no matter how "objective" these reviews and comparisons might be, they will not - and NEVER- replace honest test drives of these two cars.

go tear up some roads w/ these two cars, and THEN decide.
He's right... Despite some magazines db findings, I actually find the IS350 to be quieter in most driving conditions... Much smoother ride too... As does my co-worker who has a nice new 335i...

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)